2008 Steam Town Meet and Greet for Forum Members

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Charlie Z
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sat. Dec. 23, 2006 9:39 am
Stove/Furnace Make: Coalbrookdale
Stove/Furnace Model: Darby
Location: North Fork, NY

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 7:34 am

I'm game for just about any weekend, other than the major holidays. Thinking about dragging one of those u-haul trailers behind a pickup. I don't care whether accomodations are hotel or field. If wx is good a camp fire, if not, pub?

What do you see as events? Is it Fri and Sat night or only Fri?

Fri night arrival - camp-motel then pub or campfire?
Sat AM - coal pickup (I'd like to try the magical Superior or UAE breakers)
Lunch -
Sat PM - mine tour
Sat PM - home or Sumpin else?

- Charlie
"There's a time for thinking, and a time for action. And this, gentlemen, is no time for thinking!" - John Candy, "Canadian Bacon"


User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 8:01 am

Can't do it that day , the place will be packed.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

stockingfull
Member
Posts: 2128
Joined: Mon. Oct. 16, 2006 7:59 am
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Contact:

Post Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 11:33 am

Matthaus wrote:Since our fearless leader fixed the permissions you can change your vote.... so if you can make the most popular one by all means change your vote so we can get an idea of attendance.... thanks for playing, :lol:

Oh and Cap, it's always MC weather... as long as you have the riding suit. :P
Oh yeah, like I said last year, when the fire goes out, we saddle up!

And, though I'm late to this party, now I know I can change my vote. 8-)

User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Charlie Z wrote: What do you see as events? Is it Fri and Sat night or only Fri?

Fri night arrival - camp-motel then pub or campfire?
Sat AM - coal pickup (I'd like to try the magical Superior or UAE breakers)
Lunch -
Sat PM - mine tour
Sat PM - home or Sumpin else?
Well as I see it... If you come Fri fine, Saturday is mess no matter what though and everyone will have to make a decison based on whats best for them. Get your coal early Sat. morning, the trouble with those places like superior is they are quite far away from campground but if you're coming from western penssylvania or from the south it might nit b that far out of the wayr....There are breakers closer but you might not get the fine coal I keep hearing about, not that it will be bad either. The one is only about 20 mimutes from where the tour is.. the other issue is I don't know if they are going to be open on that Sat... :lol: Assuming they are open it would 1 hour ride from campground to breaker, 20-30 minute ride to tour. then another 1 hour ride to get back to campground. I'll get map up soon so everyone can see where everything is at to make a good decision.

So from the mine tour/steam town you head back to campground it's about 1 hour ride. I figure about 5p.m. or so. Drink beer and build fire and eat hamburgers. :)

Anyhow make your plans however you want and whatever works for you, I'll be at campground entire weekend from early Fri until Sun so anyone can show up whenever. There's lots of options, some were talking about doing a motorcycle ride which if you have one there is lot of nice roads. Buit the mine tour is really cool tou and theres quite large museum there, Steamtown needs no description...
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10382
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Charlie Z wrote: What do you see as events? Is it Fri and Sat night or only Fri?

Fri night arrival - camp-motel then pub or campfire?
Sat AM - coal pickup (I'd like to try the magical Superior or UAE breakers)
Lunch -
Sat PM - mine tour
Sat PM - home or Sumpin else?
Well as I see it... If you come Fri fine, Saturday is mess no matter what though and everyone will have to make a decison based on whats best for them. Get your coal early Sat. morning, the trouble with those places like superior is they are quite far away from campground but if you're coming from western penssylvania or from the south it might nit b that far out of the wayr....There are breakers closer but you might not get the fine coal I keep hearing about, not that it will be bad either. The one is only about 20 mimutes from where the tour is.. the other issue is I don't know if they are going to be open on that Sat... :lol: Assuming they are open it would 1 hour ride from campground to breaker, 20-30 minute ride to tour. then another 1 hour ride to get back to campground. I'll get map up soon so everyone can see where everything is at to make a good decision.

So from the mine tour/steam town you head back to campground it's about 1 hour ride. I figure about 5p.m. or so. Drink beer and build fire and eat hamburgers. :)

Anyhow make your plans however you want and whatever works for you, I'll be at campground entire weekend from early Fri until Sun so anyone can show up whenever. There's lots of options, some were talking about doing a motorcycle ride which if you have one there is lot of nice roads. Buit the mine tour is really cool tou and theres quite large museum there, Steamtown needs no description...
I will try to get a GPS guided tour together before then as well , I would also guide a bike tour if enough interest . The French Azilam in Wyalusing has a sign out front welcome bikers ,cabins available . If people are interested I will get more info . It is just past Wyalusing rocks heading west . If I had to guess it is about 20 miles from Myo beach . Dave
http://www.leisurelinestove.com


You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

User avatar
cArNaGe
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Montrose, PA
Contact:

Post Sun. Mar. 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Your campground in Black Walnut?

I may stop by if I'm off work. I just work over the hill at the paper plant.

User avatar
CoalHeat
Site Moderator
Posts: 8327
Joined: Sat. Feb. 10, 2007 9:48 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert
Location: Stillwater, New Jersey

Post Sun. Mar. 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Superior Coal is closed on Saturdays until the fall. I think it is too far away anyway for a coal run on M & G day.
Heating a circa 1832 farmhouse with a Harman Magnafire Mark I & a 1959 EFM 350 (heating DHW).
100% Oil Free!
"It's what we learn after we think we know it all that counts."

User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 7:10 am

cArNaGe wrote:Your campground in Black Walnut?

I may stop by if I'm off work. I just work over the hill at the paper plant.
Closer than that, its on Mayo Beach just above Meshoppen on the left right before the entrance for the fair.
Wood'nCoal wrote:Superior Coal is closed on Saturdays until the fall. I think it is too far away anyway for a coal run on M & G day.
If you got crew together and said you're going to buy X amount of coal I'd venture to guess they would open up. Money talks... But again that is quite distance from where the campground is. Next year we'll get something set up for down that way. Knoebels sounds like good start. :D

Really depends on where you're coming from, I could consider staying there Sun nigh if there is bunch of people that will be travelling back towards that direction on Monday if they wanted to do that. As far as Hudson goes which would be the closest that I would send anyone too I'm going to get on the phone now to see what they say. What is nice about Hudson is you can get the coal, get on the highway and be at the mine tour in 20 minutes then back to the campground later. Probably ideal for anyone travelleing from New York, Northwestern Pennsylvania or anyone going Northeast like Mass. etc.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein


User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 7:44 am

Hudson would need a commitment for about 50 ton to open on a Saturday, have to be their early and all about the same time roughly. That's washed right before it goes into your truck (or not if you prefer), easy no mess fillup for pickup, trailer etc. I'm not recommending them and won't take responsibility for the quality of the product, however I dealt with them exclusively for about 15 years. Very few complaints and in most cases got compliments. I could ask to make sure they are running the best raw product through they have but I can't make any guarantees. The current price is $130 ton and that's subject to change but I doubt it between now and then.

Here's a map, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=191 ... ,+PA+18504

A= Meshoppen
B= Hudson Anthracite
C= Steamtown
D= Anthracite Heritage Museum and Mine Tour

To give you some perspective the trip from Meshoppen to Hudson is about 1 hour,... 45 minutes if I'm driving. :lol:
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

User avatar
cArNaGe
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Montrose, PA
Contact:

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 8:29 am

Is Google Maps showing Hudson correctly? Its right off the Pittston Bypass?

Although I haven't lived there in 10 years, I don't remember any coal right there.

User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 9:08 am

Opps, that must be an office, here's another map with the original spot still indicated on the right. If you look to the left of where it says Port Griffith you can't miss it. Just look for the Black spot. :P If you follow the bypass from the marking its near the southern end of the bypass.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q= ... 14&iwloc=A

It's been their for at least 25 years ans until recently when they knoked down a lot of trees near the road many people that lived in the area weren't aware it was there. The "breaker" was originally built to recover usable material from the banks you see surrounding it, after the bank ran out they sold it to Hudson who now run raw mined product through it. Breaker is quotes because I'm pretty sure they didn't have a "breaker" since all the material was already small. That would have been added after Hudson purchased it.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

User avatar
cArNaGe
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: Montrose, PA
Contact:

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Things have changed down there. I lived in West Pittston one block from that Breaker next to the cemetery. I think Pagnottie owned it. I drive through a few years later and its all townhouses.

User avatar
coal berner
Member
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue. Jan. 09, 2007 12:44 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:
cArNaGe wrote:Your campground in Black Walnut?

I may stop by if I'm off work. I just work over the hill at the paper plant.
Closer than that, its on Mayo Beach just above Meshoppen on the left right before the entrance for the fair.
Wood'nCoal wrote:Superior Coal is closed on Saturdays until the fall. I think it is too far away anyway for a coal run on M & G day.
If you got crew together and said you're going to buy X amount of coal I'd venture to guess they would open up. Money talks... But again that is quite distance from where the campground is. Next year we'll get something set up for down that way. Knoebels sounds like good start. :D

Really depends on where you're coming from, I could consider staying there Sun nigh if there is bunch of people that will be travelling back towards that direction on Monday if they wanted to do that. As far as Hudson goes which would be the closest that I would send anyone too I'm going to get on the phone now to see what they say. What is nice about Hudson is you can get the coal, get on the highway and be at the mine tour in 20 minutes then back to the campground later. Probably ideal for anyone travelleing from New York, Northwestern Pennsylvania or anyone going Northeast like Mass. etc.
Superior coal will not open for any amount of coal when they are closed for the summer The only Place that will be open on Sat will be UAE 7am-12pm here is a map from The coal mine tour to UAE Harmony mine coal Breaker right now 130.00 a ton about 1hr. 21 min one way Calvin V Lenig 130 a ton would be another one 8am to 12pm on Sat But that would be another 15 miles west of UAE on Route 225 Lenig would be 7 miles west of Shamokin PA on Route 225 The second Map is for Superior coal if any one want's to go there on friday 7am to 3pm aswell as UAE or Lenig :)
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

J.C.

Heating house & water with a 1986 electric furnace man DF520 using buckwheat Anthracite coal

User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 2:58 pm

cArNaGe wrote:Things have changed down there. I lived in West Pittston one block from that Breaker next to the cemetery. I think Pagnottie owned it. I drive through a few years later and its all townhouses.
I live in West Pittston myself, I used to climb up in that breaker when I was a kid. :P
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

User avatar
Richard S.
Mayor
Posts: 12712
Joined: Fri. Oct. 01, 2004 8:35 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite
Location: NEPA

Post Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 3:00 pm

coal berner wrote:The second Map is for Superior coal if any one want's to go there on friday 7am to 3pm aswell as UAE or Lenig :)
Well I'll be at river all day Friday from early in the morning, I might even just go Thurs so if anyone wanted to do that I'll be there.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein


Post Reply

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”