2008 Steam Town Meet and Greet for Forum Members

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Richard S. wrote: I think I called Matthaus every name except the right one the one night but the beer didn't help that situation. :oops:
That's OK, Matthaus said hello to me and I said "Who are you?" even though I've met him before (obviously). :? :shock:

I sure like that spot by the river, nice place to get away to.

mike

Post by mike » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 7:51 pm

By the way, if anybody missed the tour and would like to take it I'm at the No.9 every sunday just about and Banks works a lot of saturdays at the lackawanna mine tour. Just PM myself or Chris or Banks and we could be at the mine if you want a diffrent tour.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 8:41 pm

:lol: That's funny because I didn't realize you were there either. I was their with my brother, the one with the kid with long blonde hair and my father was there as well.
I thought you said you weren't coming, so I didn't look for you. I do remember the girl with the long hair in the air vent.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Here is a pic.
IMG_0981.jpg
.JPG | 162.6KB | IMG_0981.jpg
This just the kindling. Richard is very serious about his camp fires! Those are logs, not sticks.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Here's the camping area. Nice spot.
IMG_0991.jpg
.JPG | 161.8KB | IMG_0991.jpg

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Last night, kind of late, (read too many beers) I had a nice conversation with a forum member about his coal setup in a multi-unit rental property he owns. He's having some issues with domestic hot water demand for the tenants. He is also stock piling coal for it. The only problem is this morning I remembered most of the conversation but for the life of me can't remember who it was. :oops: I guess Greg was right, we should have used name tags. Anyone remember talking with me late last night? :roll:

EDIT: OK, it was mwcougar! Sorry guy. I was paying attention but your name went to a portion of my brain busy processing barley and hops! :cheers:

Here's another pic.
IMG_0985.jpg

looking down river

.JPG | 75.7KB | IMG_0985.jpg
Last edited by coalkirk on Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 9:38 pm

I took 30+ pictures and mistakenly deleted the images from my C drive after cleaning the images from my camera. Darn! :mad:
I do not think I can retrieve them from my hard drive. Or can I?

But that was one heck of a fire. Makes one wonder what being in hell would be like. :?:
There were some huge fires last night.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 11:06 pm

It was nice meeting everyone Saturday. Many thanks to the tour guides for the mine, great tour! Thanks to Richard and his family for putting up with us at their river camp. Thanks for the beer :cheers: I had an all around good day Saturday and hope everyone else did too.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 11:30 pm

Cap wrote:I took 30+ pictures and mistakenly deleted the images from my C drive after cleaning the images from my camera. Darn! :mad:
I do not think I can retrieve them from my hard drive. Or can I.
Well here's the deal with that, yes you can assuming they were not overwritten from the drive, there's also software like this that works on the camera cards themselves. The problem with the hard drive is even downloading and installing it may overwrite the files, matter of fact simply viewing this page might do that. Same thing with the camera, if you "delete" them from the camera and don't take any pictures you'll be able to recover them.

This is free, I think the camera software costs money. There's a few other programs available but I used this one myself on my brothers computer and recovered every image his wife had stored on a newly reformatted drive. ;) Actually multiple copies of many of them because she had opened and resaved some of them. If you have a second drive save and install it on that.

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm

For future reference if anyone ever does anything like that with some really important files like irreplaceable family photos your best bet is to not do anything with the computer. It's tricky situation but turning it off can even cause you to lose the files if windows happens to you use the space that the files occupied, same thing for turning it on, browsing the internet or opening and closing applications. The least activity you do the more likely you will be able to recover them. When you "delete" a file all that does is clear the space on the hard drive, they are still there until they get overwritten by other data.

I haven't looked for such a program because I frequently make backups of my most important files but Ideally you'd want to run something like this that will work off a live CD like Knoppix which doesn't require any hardrive activity at all. I keep a Knoppix CD around myself just in case windows decides it doesn't want to start. ;)

Lastly they do have professional services for recovering data from broken or even physically damaged drives but it's a lot $$$.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Jun. 01, 2008 11:53 pm

Sounds like I missed a real good time. Actually I was down by you on Friday night but couldn't stop because of issues at home. I would have liked to down a couple. Could have real easily turned into a whole bunch if that beer was flowing good. Oh well, there is always next year. :) Scott

ken

Post by ken » Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 1:33 am

sounds like you guys had a great time getting together. :D

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 2:30 am

I merged this back with original thread, again glad everyone had a good time. Now for next year... :D Knoebels was discussed. If you're unfamiliar with this place it's rated one of the top family amusement park in the world... reason is simple. Free parking and free admission. They have free use of pavilions for picnics where you can set up grills as well. In other words if you don't want to go on rides it won't cost you much at all, you could go there and not spend a nickel. They have both whole day passes or individual ticket purchases. There are camping facilities and cabins (which I became aware of this weekend) available on the premises.

Just to add they have one the highest rated wooden coasters in the world and the other one is up there as well. The newest one I have not been on yet but it looks quite impressive. 3 wooden coasters all together.

http://www.knoebels.com/

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Knoebels actually has 2 camp grounds one directly off the park and there lake glory campground which is a bout 5 mi from the park and they have shuttles running hourly. Richard is right they are probably the best family oriented park in the US. I take the kids 6 or more times per season you can't beat the price and is only 25 minutes away for me. However they only offer the pay one price ride packages on the weekends before memorial day or after Labor day .

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 9:41 pm

Do they have beer? :) Scott

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Richard S. wrote: Now for next year...
What? No Fall get together????
We have to have a "business meeting" during the third quarter don't we?
Last edited by CoalHeat on Mon. Jun. 02, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”