2008 Steam Town Meet and Greet for Forum Members

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 3:41 pm

Richard S. wrote:
coal berner wrote:The second Map is for Superior coal if any one want's to go there on friday 7am to 3pm aswell as UAE or Lenig :)
Well I'll be at river all day Friday from early in the morning, I might even just go Thurs so if anyone wanted to do that I'll be there.
Ok Richard Like I said before when we started this Tour If you have any body that want's to come down for coal On fri or Sat send them down I can meet them on I-81 Either Exit 107 or 124 I will abel to take them in the Morning's
On Friday if they want Superior send them to 107 Exit Saturday Morning send them to Exit 124 Oh *censored* I thought I was sending you a PM Richard :bang: Oh well whoever reads this got the idea and if you want to go to one of Richards breaker contact him Take care all ;)

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Wed. Apr. 02, 2008 7:47 am

As a non-nepa burner, the original reason for the trip was to get a big mess of coal. Meeting with you guys and seeing some interesting sights is a big bonus and makes it easy to justify a 'coal weekend'.

JC's suggestion is good, if you can take that Friday. Get some Superior stuff on Friday and relax Friday night and Saturday.

I can't figure out the suggested schedule?

Camp Friday or downscale motel?
Steamtown Saturday afternoon?

- Charlie

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Apr. 03, 2008 5:15 am

Charlie Z wrote:As a non-nepa burner, the original reason for the trip was to get a big mess of coal. Meeting with you guys and seeing some interesting sights is a big bonus and makes it easy to justify a 'coal weekend'.
I understand that Charlie, the only reason I suggested the cmpground was because its not that far from the mine tour and Steamtown.

In any event there is no schedule yet, AFAIK the only thing that will be scheduled is Steamtown and the Mine tour. Steamtown offers excursions too so I'll have to see if they have one running that day. I don't know how many kids are coming if any but that would certainly be a treat for them. If it was left up to me I'd start drinking beer Friday... continue into Saturday then go home Sunday. :lol: So I guess it really depends on what everyone is interested in doing, I don't think we necessarily need a regimented schedule. We can set up some times for Steamtown and the mine tour and those that are interested can go, if for example you live int the area you could just meet up with everyone at Steamtown....

Dave aka flyer is putting together a motorcycle trip if anyone is interested in that, there is also a boat launch available right on the property so if you have boat and want to bring it by all means do so. The Wyoming Fairgrounds is just up over the hill and they usually have some event going on each weekend so that's another thing to consider doing. Rodeo's, Monster trucks, etc. You can actually walk to that.

I'll be their early Friday until the last person leaves, so as far as the campground goes you can show up any time and leave whenever you want. If you want to get your coal at Superior and are coming from the South and feel like staying overnight on Sunday too thats fine, I'll stick around. It would be a lot easier to get it on the way back.... If you're coming from the North, especially east and Central New York getting it at superior Friday morning won't make much difference because the campground is not going to be that far out of the way if any.

I'm open to all and any suggestions to make this as painless as possible, the idea of course besides gettin the coal is to have fun.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Apr. 12, 2008 10:39 pm

So May 30 is not that far away. Who's coming to the Meet and Great? :drunk: :discuss: :dancing: :cheers: :hangover:
My wife already has plans but can I bring my girl friend? (She's my golden retreiver)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 12, 2008 10:44 pm

I plan on being there on Saturday.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Apr. 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Last time I was there they were enforcing the dog leash law, there was one dog running around constantly. Nice dog, didn't bother me but I guess someone complained. I don't know what the deal is now. Probably not a good idea unless you want to keep it tied up.

I'll ask everyone who can to bring some firewood, if everyone brings few logs that would work out nice. You can of course bring a truckload if you want. :lol: There's no firewood in the area it all has to be brought there. The fire pit is enormous so the more wood the bigger the the fire we can have. Doesn't matter what it is, live, seasoned, pine ...whatever.

I'll going to get a half of Yuengling, so you don't have to bring beer unless you have special brew you want.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Apr. 12, 2008 11:03 pm

This sounds like it's shapin up to be a real good time!!! :) Count me in. :) Scott

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 12:16 am

Here's the directions: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q= ... iwloc=addr

If you're looking at that map find Fasset lane on there along the river, its right in the middle of the length of that road.

To the left of Meshoppen or heading West on 6 from Meshoppen you need to make a left onto Myobeach Road, if you're heading east you need to make a right after the Wyoming County Fairgrounds entrance. Rt.6 FYI is designated a scenic by-way in many places along its Western Route so if you're coming from Western Pennsylvania its a pretty nice drive. Most of it is 55m.p.h but I goes through alot of small towns, be sure to follow the posted speed limit in these towns. I do know if you speed through Meshoppen there is good chance you'll get a ticket.

MyoBeach Rd. may not be marked but its the only road between those two points. Once On Mybeach rd. you'll go about a 1/4 of mile. You can make a left here onto dirt road going down a hill and go under the railroad trestle. As soon as you exit trestle make a right at Y on other side. You'll go around a corner, after the corner there is house on the left and after that its a pretty open field on the left. As you're going down the road this open field on the left will end and turn to brush and woods again. If you look to the left you'll see the pavilion in the back... About 200 feet afte where the brush begins is the spot. There will be a medium sized camper trialer on the left hand side of the road and a couple of pop-ups on the other side and the pavilion. If you come to road on the right hand side you went to far.

If for any reason the road going under the trestle is closed or you can't fit under it keep going straight for about 1/2 a mile. You'll go over the railroad tracks, make left at the stop. It's about 1/8 a of mile down the road.

I'll have my gold Buick parked out front, can't miss that... ;)

If anyone needs directions getting to Rt. 6 let me know. It does intersect with 81 in Scranton.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 7:15 am

Richard S. wrote:Last time I was there they were enforcing the dog leash law, there was one dog running around constantly. Nice dog, didn't bother me but I guess someone complained. I don't know what the deal is now. Probably not a good idea unless you want to keep it tied up.

I'll ask everyone who can to bring some firewood, if everyone brings few logs that would work out nice. You can of course bring a truckload if you want. :lol: There's no firewood in the area it all has to be brought there. The fire pit is enormous so the more wood the bigger the the fire we can have. Doesn't matter what it is, live, seasoned, pine ...whatever.

I'll going to get a half of Yuengling, so you don't have to bring beer unless you have special brew you want.
This is a dog that I couldn't lose if I wanted to. She sticks to me like glue. But just the same I wouldn't want her to be tied up so I think I'll leave her home.
I can bring fire wood and some scrap pine framing lumber.
The half of Yuengling sounds good, but what would we drink on Saturday and Sunday? :drunk:

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 7:30 am

Richard S. wrote: I'll have my gold Buick parked out front, can't miss that... ;)
I have a gold Buick (actually "light sandstone metallic") as well. This may get confusing. :shifty:

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 7:46 am

I assume everyone just does their own thing for food or are we going to roast a buffulo over that huge fire pit?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 8:19 am

Don't know if the wife will come but are liberal, Massachusetts types allowed to come? (without fear of being shot on siight? :) )
Skimmed the thread but can't find the dates for it??

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 8:26 am

Dick, of course you are welcome! :)

The poll has the date (which is 5/30) by popular vote.

Hey colakirk, ya got a buffalo we can roast!? :lol: Yes you are all on your own for food, but I'm sure there will be sharing of favorite recipes and so on (as long as the lawyers in attendance agree not to sue for food poisoning :lol: ).

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 8:28 am

Devil5052 wrote:Don't know if the wife will come but are liberal, Massachusetts types allowed to come? (without fear of being shot on siight? :) )
Skimmed the thread but can't find the dates for it??
No objections from me, as long as we stay away from the politics. Would be happy to meet you.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Apr. 13, 2008 8:29 am

Matthaus wrote:Dick, of course you are welcome! :)

The poll has the date (which is 5/30) by popular vote.

Hey colakirk, ya got a buffalo we can roast!? :lol: Yes you are all on your own for food, but I'm sure there will be sharing of favorite recipes and so on (as long as the lawyers in attendance agree not to sue for food poisoning :lol: ).
Nope, I just cooked the last one! Lawyers??? Get a rope!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”