2008 Steam Town Meet and Greet for Forum Members

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 7:34 am

I'm game for just about any weekend, other than the major holidays. Thinking about dragging one of those u-haul trailers behind a pickup. I don't care whether accomodations are hotel or field. If wx is good a camp fire, if not, pub?

What do you see as events? Is it Fri and Sat night or only Fri?

Fri night arrival - camp-motel then pub or campfire?
Sat AM - coal pickup (I'd like to try the magical Superior or UAE breakers)
Lunch -
Sat PM - mine tour
Sat PM - home or Sumpin else?

- Charlie

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 8:01 am

Can't do it that day , the place will be packed.

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 11:33 am

Matthaus wrote:Since our fearless leader fixed the permissions you can change your vote.... so if you can make the most popular one by all means change your vote so we can get an idea of attendance.... thanks for playing, :lol:

Oh and Cap, it's always MC weather... as long as you have the riding suit. :P
Oh yeah, like I said last year, when the fire goes out, we saddle up!

And, though I'm late to this party, now I know I can change my vote. 8-)

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Charlie Z wrote: What do you see as events? Is it Fri and Sat night or only Fri?

Lunch -
Sat PM - mine tour
Well as I see it... If you come Fri fine, Saturday is mess no matter what though and everyone will have to make a decison based on whats best for them. Get your coal early Sat. morning, the trouble with those places like superior is they are quite far away from campground but if you're coming from western penssylvania or from the south it might nit b that far out of the wayr....There are breakers closer but you might not get the fine coal I keep hearing about, not that it will be bad either. The one is only about 20 mimutes from where the tour is.. the other issue is I don't know if they are going to be open on that Sat... :lol: Assuming they are open it would 1 hour ride from campground to breaker, 20-30 minute ride to tour. then another 1 hour ride to get back to campground. I'll get map up soon so everyone can see where everything is at to make a good decision.

So from the mine tour/steam town you head back to campground it's about 1 hour ride. I figure about 5p.m. or so. Drink beer and build fire and eat hamburgers. :)

Anyhow make your plans however you want and whatever works for you, I'll be at campground entire weekend from early Fri until Sun so anyone can show up whenever. There's lots of options, some were talking about doing a motorcycle ride which if you have one there is lot of nice roads. Buit the mine tour is really cool tou and theres quite large museum there, Steamtown needs no description...

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Charlie Z wrote: What do you see as events? Is it Fri and Sat night or only Fri?

Lunch -
Sat PM - mine tour
Well as I see it... If you come Fri fine, Saturday is mess no matter what though and everyone will have to make a decison based on whats best for them. Get your coal early Sat. morning, the trouble with those places like superior is they are quite far away from campground but if you're coming from western penssylvania or from the south it might nit b that far out of the wayr....There are breakers closer but you might not get the fine coal I keep hearing about, not that it will be bad either. The one is only about 20 mimutes from where the tour is.. the other issue is I don't know if they are going to be open on that Sat... :lol: Assuming they are open it would 1 hour ride from campground to breaker, 20-30 minute ride to tour. then another 1 hour ride to get back to campground. I'll get map up soon so everyone can see where everything is at to make a good decision.

So from the mine tour/steam town you head back to campground it's about 1 hour ride. I figure about 5p.m. or so. Drink beer and build fire and eat hamburgers. :)

Anyhow make your plans however you want and whatever works for you, I'll be at campground entire weekend from early Fri until Sun so anyone can show up whenever. There's lots of options, some were talking about doing a motorcycle ride which if you have one there is lot of nice roads. Buit the mine tour is really cool tou and theres quite large museum there, Steamtown needs no description...
I will try to get a GPS guided tour together before then as well , I would also guide a bike tour if enough interest . The French Azilam in Wyalusing has a sign out front welcome bikers ,cabins available . If people are interested I will get more info . It is just past Wyalusing rocks heading west . If I had to guess it is about 20 miles from Myo beach . Dave

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sun. Mar. 30, 2008 9:11 pm

Your campground in Black Walnut?

I may stop by if I'm off work. I just work over the hill at the paper plant.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Mar. 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Superior Coal is closed on Saturdays until the fall. I think it is too far away anyway for a coal run on M & G day.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 7:10 am

cArNaGe wrote:Your campground in Black Walnut?

Closer than that, its on Mayo Beach just above Meshoppen on the left right before the entrance for the fair.
Wood'nCoal wrote:Superior Coal is closed on Saturdays until the fall. I think it is too far away anyway for a coal run on M & G day.
If you got crew together and said you're going to buy X amount of coal I'd venture to guess they would open up. Money talks... But again that is quite distance from where the campground is. Next year we'll get something set up for down that way. Knoebels sounds like good start. :D

Really depends on where you're coming from, I could consider staying there Sun nigh if there is bunch of people that will be travelling back towards that direction on Monday if they wanted to do that. As far as Hudson goes which would be the closest that I would send anyone too I'm going to get on the phone now to see what they say. What is nice about Hudson is you can get the coal, get on the highway and be at the mine tour in 20 minutes then back to the campground later. Probably ideal for anyone travelleing from New York, Northwestern Pennsylvania or anyone going Northeast like Mass. etc.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 7:44 am

Hudson would need a commitment for about 50 ton to open on a Saturday, have to be their early and all about the same time roughly. That's washed right before it goes into your truck (or not if you prefer), easy no mess fillup for pickup, trailer etc. I'm not recommending them and won't take responsibility for the quality of the product, however I dealt with them exclusively for about 15 years. Very few complaints and in most cases got compliments. I could ask to make sure they are running the best raw product through they have but I can't make any guarantees. The current price is $130 ton and that's subject to change but I doubt it between now and then.

Here's a map, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=191 ... ,+PA+18504

A= Meshoppen
B= Hudson Anthracite
C= Steamtown
D= Anthracite Heritage Museum and Mine Tour

To give you some perspective the trip from Meshoppen to Hudson is about 1 hour,... 45 minutes if I'm driving. :lol:

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 8:29 am

Is Google Maps showing Hudson correctly? Its right off the Pittston Bypass?

Although I haven't lived there in 10 years, I don't remember any coal right there.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 9:08 am

Opps, that must be an office, here's another map with the original spot still indicated on the right. If you look to the left of where it says Port Griffith you can't miss it. Just look for the Black spot. :P If you follow the bypass from the marking its near the southern end of the bypass.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q= ... 14&iwloc=A

It's been their for at least 25 years ans until recently when they knoked down a lot of trees near the road many people that lived in the area weren't aware it was there. The "breaker" was originally built to recover usable material from the banks you see surrounding it, after the bank ran out they sold it to Hudson who now run raw mined product through it. Breaker is quotes because I'm pretty sure they didn't have a "breaker" since all the material was already small. That would have been added after Hudson purchased it.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Things have changed down there. I lived in West Pittston one block from that Breaker next to the cemetery. I think Pagnottie owned it. I drive through a few years later and its all townhouses.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:
cArNaGe wrote:Your campground in Black Walnut?

Closer than that, its on Mayo Beach just above Meshoppen on the left right before the entrance for the fair.
Wood'nCoal wrote:Superior Coal is closed on Saturdays until the fall. I think it is too far away anyway for a coal run on M & G day.
If you got crew together and said you're going to buy X amount of coal I'd venture to guess they would open up. Money talks... But again that is quite distance from where the campground is. Next year we'll get something set up for down that way. Knoebels sounds like good start. :D

Really depends on where you're coming from, I could consider staying there Sun nigh if there is bunch of people that will be travelling back towards that direction on Monday if they wanted to do that. As far as Hudson goes which would be the closest that I would send anyone too I'm going to get on the phone now to see what they say. What is nice about Hudson is you can get the coal, get on the highway and be at the mine tour in 20 minutes then back to the campground later. Probably ideal for anyone travelleing from New York, Northwestern Pennsylvania or anyone going Northeast like Mass. etc.
Superior coal will not open for any amount of coal when they are closed for the summer The only Place that will be open on Sat will be UAE 7am-12pm here is a map from The coal mine tour to UAE Harmony mine coal Breaker right now 130.00 a ton about 1hr. 21 min one way Calvin V Lenig 130 a ton would be another one 8am to 12pm on Sat But that would be another 15 miles west of UAE on Route 225 Lenig would be 7 miles west of Shamokin PA on Route 225 The second Map is for Superior coal if any one want's to go there on friday 7am to 3pm aswell as UAE or Lenig :)
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 2:58 pm

cArNaGe wrote:Things have changed down there. I lived in West Pittston one block from that Breaker next to the cemetery. I think Pagnottie owned it. I drive through a few years later and its all townhouses.
I live in West Pittston myself, I used to climb up in that breaker when I was a kid. :P

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 31, 2008 3:00 pm

coal berner wrote:The second Map is for Superior coal if any one want's to go there on friday 7am to 3pm aswell as UAE or Lenig :)
Well I'll be at river all day Friday from early in the morning, I might even just go Thurs so if anyone wanted to do that I'll be there.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”