2008 Steam Town Meet and Greet for Forum Members

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:16 am

Duengeon master wrote: One of the workers from the city of Wilkes-Barre showed me where the miners cut through the Susquehana river and flooded every mine in the area and subsiquently ended anthracite mining in that area. It was so extensive that the river stopped flowing for four days! They tried to push whole boxcars into the hole to no avail. Only when the mines were completely flooded, did the river start to flow again.
You referring to the Knox mine disaster. That's only a few miles from my house and is even closer yet to the breaker. Your description may be a little over the top but its not too far from truth. The mines themselves flooded over quite long time, bear in mind these mines were extensive and traveled for miles underground. When that happened they were already pumping huge water from them but the added influx of water tfom the river was too much. My Uncle said at that point they started mining "backwards", robbing the pillars as the water rose.

If you google Knox mine disater you'll find a lot of information , pictures of the whirlpool. minecountry.com even has a short video of it.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks Richard, that sounds like a good itinerary for the afternoon. Dang, with this warm weather I'm ready to do it next weekend! :lol: :lol:

The Nicholson Viaduct would be great, plus there are lots of good motorcycling roads out that way. If you post some of the routes you are thinking of I can pre-run them on my bike as weather and my time allow. That way we can put together a "trail map" to give the folks who want to ride the choice roads at their leisure.

And speaking of leisure, maybe Jerry could provide a quick tour of his Leisure Line factory in the morning on Saturday or even Friday afternoon for those that can be there. Sorry to put you on the spot Jerry! Just an idea. :)

Anyway, I guess we can plan on using your place by the river as home base and we can maybe have lunch Saturday as the one meal on the road and the rest at the "camp".

Keep the ideas coming, we just might be ready by next year! :lol: :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:29 pm

Well most of the roads North of Rt. 6 are motorcycle country, it's all rural. From Nicholson I would suggest going North to Hop Bottom, at hop bottom Hook a left onto 167, take that to Montrose. From Montrose take 29 North to Lawsville Center and make a left onto 4002, I forget the name of the road at the moment but you can't miss it, there's a sign for Laurel Lake there.

Go around the lake and hook up with 4004 on the other side. Again Can't miss it, If I remember correctly its the same road just different number. you take that to St. Joseph and take 267 South to Lawton. From Lawton you have choice... You can go either follow 267 back to Meshoppen which is near the property, 267 is nice road but the other options like 367 which comes out in Laceyville or 706 which goes to Wyalusing would be nicer. Guess it depends on your time constraints.

Overall that's probably a good 2-3 hour trip.

The other way which could involve an adventurous side trip on a dirt road is to head up over the mountain from Meshoppen to Rt. 87, not sure of the name of the road from Meshoppen but if you're going west on Rt. 6 from Tunkhannock and just want to see the majority of the route just get on 87 after Tunkhannock instead. Follow 87 to Dushore. Get on 487 South which will head you towards rickets Glenn State Park and Red Rock. This also goes through some of the coldest parts of Pennsylvania, specifically Lopez which has the coldest recorded temperature in PA.

On the top of the mountain before the main entrance to Ricketts Glen state park you come to interesting decision. :lol: There is dirt road off a place where you can park to go hunting. It's not marked last I checked but it's about a mile or two from the entrance, the road itself the last time I was on it was pretty good but its been a while. That meanders across the top of the mountain for a few miles then hooks up with a old train track bed complete with old train bridges, note there is no railings on the bridges but they are quite small. There's planks to facilitate driving across them. There's also a dam where they used to cut ice which was one of the reasons for the railroad. Once you get around the dam area it starts to descend down the mountain. It's a good 10-15 mile ride on this road but the scenery is awesome. It follows a creek its entire length. That brings you out at Noxen on Rt. 29

The other choice is to go down the mountain from Rickets Glenn state park which is very steep decent but is a regular road. Make a left onto 118, there's place to pull over a few miles up the road which has hiking trails, there are numerous waterfalls along these trails and are quite popular. On 118 follow that and make left onto Mooretown road which will bring you to 29, head north on 29.

The dirt Road above comes out at Noxen which is also on 29. Follow 29 North towards Tunkhannock, on the left about 2 or 3 miles before Tunkhannock is road called Sugar Hollow, you can't miss it. As you're going up 29 you'll go down a pretty long hill then over a bridge. There's a rest stop on the left after the bridge then a long straight away. At the end of the straight a way you go up over a small rise then down and it's right there on the left.

Sugar Hollow is one the better roads I know, there are some farms on that road that are picture perfect. That will bring you back out on 87 not too far from where you started.

That too is probably a 3 hour ride.

I could lead you around in circles for days if you wanted. I know some of those roads better than the locals, especially if it's the best way to get from one place to another that is of any distance.

Here's picture from the dam, note the date. :) That's yours truly on the left. I'm a glutton for punishment, my head felt like someone was in there with a jackhammer when that picture was taken.

Attachments

camp004_a.JPG
.JPG | 31KB | camp004_a.JPG

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 9:20 pm

If this group goes near Steamtown, shouldn't we call ahead and see whether they will be running a hand-fired or stoker-fired engine that day? :lol: :P :lol: :D

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Richard S. wrote:Her's some pics, they are little old and it looks quite different now as many improvements have been made. I'll give brief description:

The first one is the fireplace at the back of the property.

The second one is the pavilion under construction, its long been completed and has stove, tables, fridge and even a little fireplace.

The last one is the posts for the bathhouse under construction, the top part is now occupied by full bathroom including shower, the lower part has a large sink for cleaning fish, dishes etc. The sheds to the back also have an addtional bathroom. River is in the background.
Admin . My parents have a place just up the beach from where your talking about . I'm sure we can get use of the pontoon boat and beach . As far as roads this is my riding area there are a lot of sweet roads around there . I have a few routes saved on my Zumo GPS . Should make for a fun get together . Dave

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 8:20 pm

what is the cost of the coal?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi U235a4 If you come threw where I am at it will 120.00 a ton to 140.00 a ton that is the current price For Deep Mine Coal Stripping Coal is less Now by next year I can't say how much it will be but it will be more then and less now

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 12:46 am

Flyer5 wrote: Admin . My parents have a place just up the beach from where your talking about . I'm sure we can get use of the pontoon boat and beach . As far as roads this is my riding area there are a lot of sweet roads around there . I have a few routes saved on my Zumo GPS . Should make for a fun get together . Dave
Interesting, my Uncle bought the place backin 70's and it wasn't nothing but a field with a bunch of weeds. Sold it to my other Uncle the current owner. Spent countless days up there. Getting a little too modernized with all this fancy stuuf like sinks and and showers.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 1:10 am

Richard S. wrote:
Flyer5 wrote: Admin . My parents have a place just up the beach from where your talking about . I'm sure we can get use of the pontoon boat and beach . As far as roads this is my riding area there are a lot of sweet roads around there . I have a few routes saved on my Zumo GPS . Should make for a fun get together . Dave
Interesting, my Uncle bought the place backin 70's and it wasn't nothing but a field with a bunch of weeds. Sold it to my other Uncle the current owner. Spent countless days up there. Getting a little too modernized with all this fancy stuuf like sinks and and showers.
My parents actually know your uncle well . I got coal from him when I first built the house . You delivered here when you first took over . Then oil was cheap and less work, I installed the radient floor heat .Dave

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 1:44 am

Flyer5 wrote: My parents actually know your uncle well . I got coal from him when I first built the house . You delivered here when you first took over . Then oil was cheap and less work, I installed the radient floor heat .Dave
Ahhhhh, I know who you are. I though as much when I read the first name and saw where you were from. Should be a good time.

xackley

Post by xackley » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 10:44 am

I am not much of a Joiner, but the river location looks very good, and steam, coal, and big bridges I find very interesting.
Now I here I might actually be able to take a shower. But any earlier than June would mean very cool tenting and river temperatures. :cry:

Big question, I have a boy, 12 years old. Might there be other children there.

I will have my wife read this thread, to see what she thinks.

Thank you
Don

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 10:51 am

Please join us Don, depending on the weekend I will have my 6 year old daughter there. The last meet and greet we had 4 little ones in attendance.

Now that we are being hosted at the river by our fearless leader, it will most certainly be in June to take advantage of the great location. :dancing:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 11:04 am

Just confirmed it, weekend in June is fine. "The Boss" has to speak to his wife to find out if there is anything going on for any of those weekends and I'll get back to you when I know. Any weekends previous to June would be fine as far as I know. He has very large collection of anthracite atifacts and pictures, I'm sure he'll bring some samples.

:cheers:

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 1:48 pm

xackley wrote:I am not much of a Joiner, but the river location looks very good, and steam, coal, and big bridges I find very interesting.
Now I here I might actually be able to take a shower. But any earlier than June would mean very cool tenting and river temperatures. :cry:

Big question, I have a boy, 12 years old. Might there be other children there.

I will have my wife read this thread, to see what she thinks.

Thank you
Don

My little one will be there She will only be 1.2yrs old but still there . Dave

bric2000

Post by bric2000 » Fri. Nov. 09, 2007 2:03 am

Tagaroo - this is in my backyard. Spent a lot of time on the Sus. Know some folk from Mayo too!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”