2008 Steam Town Meet and Greet for Forum Members

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 10:47 pm

OK, we have tossed it around a bit and it seems there might be some interest in a Spring/Summer get together. Just think, Girlie Men meeting Manly Men, power venters meeting the naturally aspirated!

One thought might be that we could have the tour of Steam Town attractions including the Lackawana Coal Mine Tour earlier to facilitate a trip to the breaker for topping off the year end coal supplies, or later to take advantage of more temperate climes and the corresponding available activities.

So maybe a running poll and some lively discussion during the winter months will keep this in the forefront for consideration.

Since I live nearby I can help find places to stay/organize activities.
Last edited by Matthaus on Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Sounds good, When? If I have to take off from work I need to know soon.

BK

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 10:54 pm

Added the Poll, kinda got ahead of myself there, went to hit preview and hit submit! :oops:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 11:20 pm

I mentioned this after you guys had the first meet, I have access to some land on the river that is only about 40 minute drive from Steamtown, Lackawanna Mine Tour/Museum . Bathroom facilities, room for tents or smaller trailers, pavilion, boat launch etc. It can easily accommodate 30 people overnight. There are no trailer hook-ups for individual trailers and as mentioned they would have to be small, the problem is the damn cars take up so much space. There is a regular campground about 1-2 miles from there for those that have large trailers and/or need hook-ups.

So if you want to make it a overnighter or even weekend event we can do that. I figure maybe start Friday for those who want to come early, Saturday late morning head to the mine tour and Steamtown. Those that do not wish to go camping can just meet up there. Head back to the river for an evening of adult beverages and fire, pack up Sunday...

I can see if they offer group rates and the operating hours. they do make excursions from Steamtown, I think its about a 2 or 3 hour ride.

The only issue is for those of you that wish to pick up coal, some if not all of the breakers in this area are not open on Saturdays during the late spring or summer. I would have to find out, the one I do business with might make an exception if there is a lot interest but that is little out of the way.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 12:36 am

Camping and a fire right on the river? Sounds great, count me and mine in! :occasion5:

Thanks for the offer Richard, I think that will be a great option. Do we need to bring fire wood or are there downed trees on the property? What town is it near?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:02 am

It's a place called Myo Beach, it's about 1 mile west of Meshoppen, PA on RT.6 . The property itself isn't huge and there is no trees for firewood but plenty of trees for shade. It's a nicely manicured place. There is usually always plenty of firewood there, of course if anyone wanted to bring any to contribute to the cause that's fine too. Nobody ever turned down firewood there. :wink:

At one point we were fortunate, my brother had a tree service so whenever it got low we'd just take a load. Wet wood burns fine if you mix it with a hot enough fire. For couple of parties we had fires that were absolutley enormous, easily 10 foot around and 5 feet high. Usually whole giant logs of pine.

It really is beach, usually extending about 40 feet out from the bottom of the bank in the summer as long as the river isn't up but that's like trying to predict the lottery, it can go a couple of feet in hours but generally is pretty consistent. The rocks are small enough to walk on with bare feet for most people. The water is suitable for swimming and many people do..

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:04 am

Her's some pics, they are little old and it looks quite different now as many improvements have been made. I'll give brief description:

The first one is the fireplace at the back of the property.

The second one is the pavilion under construction, its long been completed and has stove, tables, fridge and even a little fireplace.

The last one is the posts for the bathhouse under construction, the top part is now occupied by full bathroom including shower, the lower part has a large sink for cleaning fish, dishes etc. The sheds to the back also have an addtional bathroom. River is in the background.

Attachments

camp005.JPG

Fireplace

.JPG | 263.3KB | camp005.JPG
camp007.JPG

Bathroom

.JPG | 243.7KB | camp007.JPG
camp006.JPG

Pavilion going up

.JPG | 232.1KB | camp006.JPG
Last edited by Richard S. on Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:14 am

Some more:

First one is left to the first one I posted above with the fireplace.

The second one is from about 1/2 mile up the river. To the very left is the tip of an island. The property would be on the left downriver.

I'll save the best for last, this of course is picture of beer and fish. :P

Attachments

camp008.JPG
.JPG | 269.3KB | camp008.JPG
fish004.JPG
.JPG | 230.2KB | fish004.JPG
camp009.JPG
.JPG | 281.8KB | camp009.JPG

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:29 am

Just realized if you know where the Wyoming County Fairgrounds are it's just over the hill. They usually have something going on every weekend too, Mud Bog, shows, rodeo, etc.

So if that's what eveeryon would want to do I need to know so I can plan ahead. Lots of activities from bachelor parties to birthdays go on there so I would have to find a weekend when it will be mostly free.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 2:13 am

Hellow everyone I have handed over the Coal Mine and Steamtown tour
to matthaus for next year Being it is in his neck of the woods However I
will be Assisting him in the planning of the events And I will still be in
charge of the handling the part of getting Coal at the Coal Breakers so if
you need info Please PM me so we can make plans Thank you and take
care All Hope To See You At the 2008 Tour :)

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 2:36 am

BY No Means am I stopping anyone from Getting coal At the tour threw
coalman / Richard are Leader on this Great Forum So if you would like to
get coal threw Richard Please by all means do so I can help the members
who are coming up from the South east or South west anyone who is
coming down from the North it would be easier to get it threw Richard / coalman
Thanks again :)

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 9:03 am

count me in! :occasion5: I've been to steamtown and want to go again. Anytime in the spring is good for me :) If anyone needs help let me know I will be glad to help. One of the workers from the city of Wilkes-Barre showed me where the miners cut through the Susquehana river and flooded every mine in the area and subsiquently ended anthracite mining in that area. It was so extensive that the river stopped flowing for four days! They tried to push whole boxcars into the hole to no avail. Only when the mines were completely flooded, did the river start to flow again.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 10:14 am

As JC said I will be working to consolidate all the planning for things to do (anyone is welcome to help!), so if you have activities for this area that would would like to do, post em here and we will start collecting a list and figuring out how to make it all work.

The place looks awesome Richard! I will start collecting firewood so we can have a legendary fire! During my years of Indian Guides with my son we obtained an old Saturn V 1st stage launch adapter lifting ring (33' in diameter) and would often have fires with pallets and wood stacked up 15 feet that filled the entire ring. Hay bales soaked in diesel make a great fire starter! :lol: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 10:56 am

As far as the coal goes again I'm not sure if they would open on Saturday, it may have to be picked up on Friday.

The breaker is just off I-81 and is approxiamtely a 40 minute drive from the property. It's about a 20 minute drive from the breaker to Scranton if it was picked up on Saturday morning so going in big circle is certainly feasible. Of course that is all dependant on whetehr they will open on a Sat. They are open until 4 on weekdays. Makes no diiference to me where its picked up, if Matthaus or anyone else knows of place in Scranton or nearby it would definitely cut off some time.

As far as travelling to where coal berner is at that would be quite a long trip even from Scranton as he mentioned. Really depends on where your coming from.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:08 am

Matthaus wrote:As JC said I will be working to consolidate all the planning for things to do (anyone is welcome to help!), so if you have activities for this area that would would like to do,
My suggestion would be of course the Steamtown and the excursion and a trip to the Mine and Museum. that would most likely fill up Saturday afternoon. If you wanted to you could also make side trip to the Nicholson Viaduct which would only add about an hour or two, it's a bridge but not just any bridge. The world's largest all concrete bridge, quite impressive. Not sure if that record still stands, guess it depends on the definition of all-concrete. .

http://www.nicholsonbridge.com/

Another suggestion for you motorcycle people I know just about every road in the area so if you wanted to take ride I'm your man, I don't own one so someone would have to drive me.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”