Coal Mice, Flares, Home Made Mice

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi,

My dealer sells mice and they work best to light my stove. However, the people who work there are *&%%& so I chose to do everything possible not to give them my business. When I had a problem with my stove they gave me a hard time. Anyway, I was mail ordering homemade mice that worked well but the company doesn't seem to fill orders anymore or even answer email. I was wondering a few things.

1. Is their a mailorder source for mice? Still the easiest and less stinky way to light a stove.

2. Does anyone have a recipe for a homemade mice that doesn't include lighter fluid and charcoal.

3. What about cutting up road flares?

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Frank be careful as those mice can be dangerous. Magnesium oxide can spotaniously combust under the right conditions. It must be kept in a climate and ventilation controlled room or atleast should be, when it is in it's pure state. It is an oxidizer so you can't send it through the regular mail it must be shipped by hazardous container shipping. Road flares use the chemical with various stablization buffer materials. The magnesium supposedly started alaska's fire.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 12:16 pm

firewoodman

Post by firewoodman » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Go to your grocery store and buy yourself a bag of matchlight charcoal...10 pieces in a pile and light it, sprinkle on some coal and crack a beer!!! no need to kiss anyones anything!!! Have a great heating season!!

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 4:36 pm

I have used Match Light and Lump Coal. For me the lump coal works best but both are smelly and they don't always light on the first try. The Mice works best, as I said, but they can also be unreliable. I've had mice then didn't light. Anyway, I didn't know about the spontanous combustion thing. Do you know anyone who had this happen? Thanks

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Not with the mice themselves but the raw magnesium will under the right conditions

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I was reading my HO policy the other day - I'm sure there is a provision that doesn't over fires started by Mice (: I just switched companies because I had a 5% inurance deductible for hurricanes. My new company seems to have lots of exclusions but no deductible for hurricanes or wind damage.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Just soak the charcoal in lighter fluid or diesel fuel. Lights easier, & gets the fire going quicker than anything. Simple & cheap. I've been doing it for years.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 8:02 pm

firewoodman wrote:Go to your grocery store and buy yourself a bag of matchlight charcoal...10 pieces in a pile and light it, sprinkle on some coal and crack a beer!!!
I agree. If you really need pyrotechnics to light a coal fire, you probably should be using a conventional heating appliance. :D

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 7:04 pm

I see them available on ebay.

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Sat. Oct. 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Cowboy charcoal.. Just fired mine up and used it for the 1st time, Hit it with a torch,watch it glow, shut the door and turn her on, wala 15 minutes later coals a burn'n. I used the mice for years, have to say I like the charcoal already more than the mice.. :D

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”