coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 3:32 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/03/16/16greenwi ... 82851.html

The president's budget blueprint would enact a new fee on hardrock mineral production to help pay for reclamation of abandoned hardrock mines. It also requires royalties from companies mining certain minerals, including gold, copper, lead and uranium.

Obama's proposal is a nod to environmentalists and other advocates who say the 1872 General Mining Act is in desperate need of an overhaul.

"Certainly we are pleased the Obama administration is taking a step in the right direction," said Jane Danowitz, public lands director for the Pew Environment Group, in a recent interview. "This is a law that basically hasn't been changed in almost 140 years."

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Environmentalism is just a synonym for Marxism!!!!! Don't let these people fool you!!! They required reclamation 40 years ago!!! If you think I am bullshotting you just go west on Rt.70 west of Wheeling,W Va. and look at the coal mines that were reclaimed back in the early 70's. There are trees growing on those reclaimed mines. Don't believe me, See for yourself!!!! This is just a way of taking more rights and liberties away!!! I triple dog dare you to call me a liar!!!!!!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Please don't shoot the messenger. :D

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Apr. 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Your right D.M. the mine reclamation act was put in back in the 70s because the coal Co.s used to just strip & run. So the tax payer ended up paying to reclaim the old strip mines. Then in the 90s there was a tax of 31.5cents/ton for stripped coal &15cents/ton for deep mined & 10cent/ton for lignite. The mining Co.s are supposed to restore the land to near original contours & not disturb the water sheds. In 08 they removed the stream buffer provision allowing mountaintop mining to destroy the streams & only have to contour the land leaving no high walls. All the nice looking old strip mines were paid for by us, the newer ones the mining Co.s had to do but I guess thats changing.
I didn`t hear of any new tax but I did hear that they wanted to take away the subsidies to the coal & oil Co.s.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”