Anyone Else Stocking up on 100W Bulbs?...or Am I Just Crazy?

international86
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A-80
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil hot air

Post by international86 » Sat. Apr. 09, 2011 1:30 pm

You know, if it were MY decision to use CFLs, I probably would; but I'll be blessed if I'll let a bunch of environmental extremists in DC tell me I HAVE to use them! For the time being, this is still a free country, so I too am putting in a stock of incandescent light bulbs that will last for the rest of my life!

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Wed. Apr. 13, 2011 11:38 pm

For all those supporting CFL lights, I'll make an offer, buy my CFL new and lightly used bulbs. I have about 30 since decommissioning them. First $2.00 per light + shipping takes them!

homecomfort

Post by homecomfort » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 9:27 pm

most states require drivers to wear seat belts. is that dc extremist invasion too, telling everyone how to drive, how about speed limits? back to bulbs, new technology takes some de bugging, but now they are cheap, and mostly work well,if they can do the same job, and save some electricity, why wouldn't they be useful?

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 10:04 pm

They throw out a lot of RF hash. Put a portable radio near one.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 10:50 pm

homecomfort wrote:most states require drivers to wear seat belts. is that dc extremist invasion too, telling everyone how to drive, how about speed limits? back to bulbs, new technology takes some de bugging, but now they are cheap, and mostly work well,if they can do the same job, and save some electricity, why wouldn't they be useful?
It's not about which light bulbs are better. I hate, and I mean HATE fluorescent lighting. It's about what I CHOOSE to have in my home. I do not CHOOSE these light bulbs. The Government driven by a clearly proven fraud by environmentalist zealots is invading my home and making my decisions for me whether I like it or not. The light bulb issue is symbolic of what is wrong with left wing thinking. If you want to be dictated to by a group of elitist central planners, move to China. There still is a concept in this Country called Property Rights at least for the time being.

And as far as seat belt laws go, yes they are invasive and many people fought against them when the do gooders started in on that one.

homecomfort

Post by homecomfort » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree. chose of type of lighting should be ours to make. each as it;s place, and just like burning coal at home, the difference in consumption and pollution is minimal.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Wed. Apr. 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Try finding a 100+ watt narrow beam spot light for residential outdoor fixtures. Online and in stores, they aren't available any longer. Flood lights about 90 watt are still available so stock up while you can!

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post by Willis » Thu. Apr. 21, 2011 11:10 pm

I have noticed the floodlight thing also. I used to use 150w outdoor floods but now you cant find them in the store only 100w , so far. They make CFL ones but they are completely worthless as a motion light bulb, they arent even up to full light by the time they shut off. And for the record I don't hate CFLs I do use them in fixtures that are on for long periods of time because they are cost effective in certain applications. But then if you want the same light output the CFL equivlent of 100w bulbs wont fit in many tight fixtures either. We actually use alot of CFLs in the underground coalmine I work in.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Apr. 22, 2011 9:13 am

The reasons we drive cars with outdated technology is because there isn't a choice. Sure there are Hybrids which I have one but they are basically the same technology with a small electric engine to help with acceleration. If I could by a car that ran on air, hydrogen or natural gas I would get one. Old style bulbs are dangerous. When I was 10 I dropped a lamp on the ground it is started a fire from the heat of the bulb. Also, living in NY with very high electric rates LED and Fluorescent bulbs make much more sense and are better for the environment.

I don't think you are crazy for hoarding but I don't see the point unless it is for health reasons.

Rhys12
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 2

Post by Rhys12 » Fri. Apr. 22, 2011 10:26 am

I switched to CFL's many years ago for two reasons - to cut my power bill and because using the "daylight" CFLs in all my fixtures eliminated the depression I usually fell into in wintertime.
I buy the n:vision 14 watt bulbs from Home Depot and haven't had any problems with lack of light from them. They do start slower than incandescents, but I am used to that after so many years.
I believe GE has a new bulb with a small halogen inside the CFL that eliminates the slow start problem. The halogen bulb goes out after a few minutes.
The LED lights I have seen don't seem very useful, except maybe for a porch light or a bulb that can be left on all the time to provide a minimum level of illumination somewhere. I expect they will be improved.
I believe North Carolina plans to keep producing incandescent bulbs to sell only within the State (The Feds can only regulate interstate commerce). However, even if I wanted them, I wouldn't want to drive that far to buy some!
A bigger problem than bulbs is all the blowers on my coal stove (2 plus the feed motor on the stove, a power venter, and a blower to circulate heat.) They jacked my power usage this past winter up an average of 285/kwh per month over the oil furnace.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. May. 11, 2011 8:12 am

South Carolina Battles Feds Over Light Bulbs

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. May. 12, 2011 11:36 pm

SC is on my list of places to visit ... or possibly move to, God willing. Good for them. 8-)

Every light in my house is a CFL. But that was my choice. Some are better than others. Lightwiz makes a good one that doesn't start out too dim. I have a CFL motion light too ..... and it SUCKS in the winter time. When something trips it, your supposed to SEE it ... not wait 7 minutes till it's fully bright. Stupid. Not worth the money I might save on electricity. How about a gun that takes 7 minutes to fire? Makes about as much sense.

I couldn't give a rats ass about what people use for bulbs. Nobody should care what their neighbor uses for bulbs ... or what vehicle they choose to operate. This is AMERICA - your supposed to have freedom of choice here. The government can kiss my ass! I don't wear a seat belt either. Stay the F*** out of our homes!! :mad:

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Fri. May. 13, 2011 7:45 am

Hey Smitty, when you think about it if you can`t see what your going to shoot at for 7 sec. a time delay may be a good idea. :roll: Like most things they suit different applications differently. :?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 14, 2011 8:07 am

SMITTY wrote: I have a CFL motion light too ..... and it SUCKS in the winter time. When something trips it, your supposed to SEE it ... not wait 7 minutes till it's fully bright. Stupid. Not worth the money I might save on electricity. How about a gun that takes 7 minutes to fire? Makes about as much sense.
I had a short experience with a CFL in an outside light, it was worthless. It took forever to put out any light, and the bulb died in about 30 days. Now I have a two 100 watt High Pressure Sodium dusk-till-dawn lights on poles...I just let 'em blaze all night, every night. No more guests backing out on the lawn because the couldn't see, and it is easy to keep an eye on the "hounds" when they go out at night.

carbonhagen

Post by carbonhagen » Fri. May. 27, 2011 5:52 am

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”