Anyone Else Stocking up on 100W Bulbs?...or Am I Just Crazy?

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post by Willis » Wed. Mar. 23, 2011 10:16 pm

I just saw a thread on LED lightbulbs and it got me thinking, am I the only one out there that is hoarding 100 watt incandescent bulbs or are there others? The nanny state federal government has said that you can no longer buy them as of Jan 2012. (California already banned) Well dammit I like 100 watt bulbs , and I don't really care for them funky CFL that take forever to light up, are made in china, and full of mercury! LEDs sound great but wow they are expensive and by the sounds of it the technology isnt quite there either. Who the hell is the government to tell me how much electric I use as long as I pay for it. At 25 cents each I am going to stock up , and if they decide to come to their senses and not ban them...Im still not out anything. Please let me know if I am the only one living in crazy town. :idea:

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Wed. Mar. 23, 2011 10:28 pm

I believe we as a whole are against something our government says we can't have. If tomorrow they outlawed fuel oil we would be shouting from the rafters and putting oil burners in our homes :lol: Over time the new will replace old,and the florescents will be something that people will want for the electric savings. I still see the incandescents will have their place for heat(keeping things from freezing) I remember as a kid my father buying a new TV, he say's what do I need a remote control for, years later he says "where's the remote" :lol:

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Wed. Mar. 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Sadly, I had to invest over $300 in bulbs, mostly 100 watt. It wasn't over a protest over gov't control, but simply for health reasons. I've found a definitive relationship between CFL and migraines that my wife suffers from. It's quite literally like a headache/migraine on switch when she comes in close contact to a CFL. Unfortunately, turning the bulb off dosen't turn off the headache.

This comes about from a cranitomy she had a number of years ago. The skull bone is held in place by coiled stainless steel wire in five locations. The electromagnetic fields from the CFL cause a skin effect electric shock that find its way to the coiled wire initiating head pain. Based on LED designs discussed in another thread, it won't be an alternative for her so that's why we invested in a lifetime supply of incandescent bulbs!

homecomfort

Post by homecomfort » Mon. Apr. 04, 2011 9:59 pm

incandescent light bulbs utilize about 5% of power for light, and 95% of the power is wasted as heat. why would anyone hoard an out dated technology that is over 75 years old.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Apr. 05, 2011 11:38 am

Firstly, and most importantly, because he wants to and is not hurting anybody, You obviously do not understand the term govt intrusion into our lives. Secondly, he seems to have a real reason.

Hmm, new person, no avatar, no information are you sure you are on the right board? There are many Karl Marx appreciation boards out there but I don't think you will get much of a following here. If you are a coal burner or intending to go that route give us more information so we can interact.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Apr. 05, 2011 11:52 am

On a slightly different subject, but the same train..... why would anyone drive an automobile that uses an internal combustion engine? Good golly, that gasoline engine is barely 20% efficient, the rest is lost as heat! What kind of idiot would use technology that is over 100 years old?

I had thoughts of buying up a huge supply of light bulbs to sell 20 years from now, but I'm afraid it will be illegal to sell them. The "heat ball" idea is a good one!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Apr. 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Freddy,

Save your money and buy an electric car and in 20 years you can sell it to the Smithsonian for a good profit and they can place it besides the Stanley Steamer display and other ideas that didn't work.

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post by Willis » Wed. Apr. 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Why would anyone heat with coal - such an outdated fuel..why would anyone burn something that is 320 million years old.......but here we all are!

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 9:26 am

Willis, we all heat with that nasty old coal simply because no one has come up with a better less expensive way to heat, if that way should ever come up there would be a lot less coal being used so stock up while you can.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 9:51 am

coalnewbie wrote:Freddy,

Save your money and buy an electric car and in 20 years you can sell it to the Smithsonian for a good profit and they can place it besides the Stanley Steamer display and other ideas that didn't work.
Why is it the stanley steamer didn't work ? Just the fact their is some work related to them, and it's not spontanious like the internal combustion engine, if the oil runs dry, steam or the horse and buggy may be the new green transportation.

samhill

Post by samhill » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 10:22 am

I have driven Stanley Steamers & would love to have one, even with all the drawbacks it would be a great car to have, of course the AC & power windows or heater & the ghetto blaster radio weren`t installed on the ones I drove but hey it was fun anyway.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 10:38 am

coalnewbie wrote:Freddy,

Steam cars work well and there were several companies that made them up until the mid 1920's. The Stanly Steam Car held the land speed record for the fastest car for decades. They are just not as convienient or easy to operate as a gasoline car.

samhill

Post by samhill » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 11:19 am

If your comparing them to modern cars no but the other cars of the early 1900s their big drawback (as far as I know ) was the size & price.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Apr. 07, 2011 11:31 am

samhill wrote:If your comparing them to modern cars no but the other cars of the early 1900s their big drawback (as far as I know ) was the size & price.
The game changer was low priced mass production of gasoline cars, so you might be right about that as well.

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Sat. Apr. 09, 2011 11:17 am

The thing I have a problem with CFL's is their failure rate. A couple years ago, back when they first started showing up everywhere, I saw them as a nice little long-term investment so I jumped into them whole hog and started replacing them all over the house. Unfortunately I had many failures. Mind you, this was when they still cost $5-$10 EACH). When you pay $10 instead of $1 for something that is going to take YEARS to pay you back, having it fail in 6-12 months is a BIG money LOSER. (And most certainly worse for the environment) You also can't put CFLs in some locations, such as light fixtures that are enclosed, because the heat build-up will cause them to fail in short order.

Personally, I'm waiting for the price of LED replacement bulbs to come down, though I'm sure they would be susceptible to failure under the same circumstances. Some LED replacement bulbs even have active cooling (i.e. a little fan) which adds even more complication and opportunity for failure.

I just found this, it's two years old but interesting: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/01/light_bul ... hancement/

Make sure you check out the link at the end of the article to the University of Rochester.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”