I Need Someone to Install My Chimney ASAP-Help

ron54

Post by ron54 » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 8:36 pm

I need help in finding someone to install my chimney so I can buy Hitzer from Stolz. Deal with Kodiak is no longer valid, as the dealer gave incorrect estimate, & when I questioned them at Luhrs, they said to go elsewhere. Besides, I really didn't want the Kodiak

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 7:21 am

I think a look in your local Yellow Pages is in order.

GL

ron54

Post by ron54 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 9:01 am

LsFarm wrote:I think a look in your local Yellow Pages is in order.

GL
there is only one outfit locally, and there booked for the next 3 years.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 9:42 am

Ron, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are going to have to work a little for this coal burning thing, or maybe it isn't for you. Sometimes the signs indicate that something is not a good idea.

I attached a link as a starting point, but I would estimate you will have spent more than 50 hours with the interview and selection process before you actually have a contract for a chimney install. Then once you have the contract it probably will be a time consumer keeping track of the project and ensuring timely completion.

http://www.google.com/search?q=chimney+constructi ... =firefox-a
(if you aren't using firefox as a browser just simply type "chimney construction in Milford pa" into goggle or other search engine using a browser of your choice)

hope this helps. :)

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 10:39 am

Just about and stone mason or block layer can put up a flue. ( assuming you are talking about a block flue) It is pretty straight forward work doesn't really take that long if they know what they are doing.

ron54

Post by ron54 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 10:49 am

ktm rider wrote:Just about and stone mason or block layer can put up a flue. ( assuming you are talking about a block flue) It is pretty straight forward work doesn't really take that long if they know what they are doing.
refering to a Class A stainless, not masonary.

ron54

Post by ron54 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 10:51 am

Matthaus wrote:Ron, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are going to have to work a little for this coal burning thing, or maybe it isn't for you. Sometimes the signs indicate that something is not a good idea. http://www.google.com/search?q=chimney+constructi ... =firefox-a
(if you aren't using firefox as a browser just simply type "chimney construction in Milford pa" into goggle or other search engine using a browser of your choice)

hope this helps. :)
The contr's on the link you sent don't do class A stainless chimney's--which is what I need. The is only 1 certified installer in Pike County, & he's booked solid.

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 11:22 am

Put it up yourself,class A is pretty simple and straight forward even if you are only slightly handy. I don't know how old you are or what pitch your roof is but that may be a reason you don't want to do it yourself. I just put up my class A through the ceiling,attic and the roof 9/12 pitch two weekends ago by myself and it was easy to do. If you really don't want to do it yourself find a local handyman or relative that can do it. I think anyone that has done any remodeling could put up one of these class A chimneys. Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 11:27 am

gambler wrote:Put it up yourself,class A is pretty simple and straight forward even if you are only slightly handy. I don't know how old you are or what pitch your roof is but that may be a reason you don't want to do it yourself. I just put up my class A through the ceiling,attic and the roof 9/12 pitch two weekends ago by myself and it was easy to do. If you really don't want to do it yourself find a local handyman or relative that can do it. I think anyone that has done any remodeling could put up one of these class A chimneys. Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.
Umm, gambler...Ron seems to be busy alot and did mention before that he doesn't own a hammer. I think it best he be served by a professional.

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 11:34 am

Ed.A wrote:
gambler wrote:Put it up yourself,class A is pretty simple and straight forward even if you are only slightly handy. I don't know how old you are or what pitch your roof is but that may be a reason you don't want to do it yourself. I just put up my class A through the ceiling,attic and the roof 9/12 pitch two weekends ago by myself and it was easy to do. If you really don't want to do it yourself find a local handyman or relative that can do it. I think anyone that has done any remodeling could put up one of these class A chimneys. Wish you were closer so I could give you a hand.
Umm, gambler...Ron seems to be busy alot and did mention before that he doesn't own a hammer. I think it best he be served by a professional.
If he doesn't own a hammer maybe that is best.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 11:38 am

If I only had a hammer, I would hammer in the evening............. :-({|= :violent1: :band:

ron54

Post by ron54 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 12:05 pm

The township requires an inspection, & a licensed contractor.

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 12:22 pm

AAAHHHH yes, government rules & regulations. The inspection I can see but a licensed contractor?

Well all I can tell you is good luck finding a cotractor to do this job. They all want the big fish to fry and will not even come look at your job and if they do they will quote it so high hoping not to get the job.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 1:06 pm

gambler wrote:AAAHHHH yes, government rules & regulations. The inspection I can see but a licensed contractor?

Well all I can tell you is good luck finding a cotractor to do this job. They all want the big fish to fry and will not even come look at your job and if they do they will quote it so high hoping not to get the job.
Government can not stop you from working on your home even if it endangers you alone. They can require you to have a permit and to inspect it for compliance with local regulations. For me compliance enforcement is at the county level. They have "homeowners" building permits. These require the homeowner to take a written test to weed out the really stupid idiots. It's usually administered by the chief inspector, who first talks with you about what you want to do. He tells you the rules or references written documents. I've gotten electrical and plumbing permits and inspections several times. The written test is usually easy because you are only answering the questions about what you want to build. You get a restricted permit specific to what you want to build. Now if you are a stupid idiot, act like a jerk and bad mouth the building trades you will never pass the test. Government can stop you from doing things that will harm others, i.e., other persons property, health, well being, etc. I have even gotten general contractor permits which obligates me to hire only license subcontractors or get a homeowners permit and do the work myself. I think it's a reasonable system, a balance between protecting property rights and public safety.

ron54

Post by ron54 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Yanche wrote:
gambler wrote:AAAHHHH yes, government rules & regulations. The inspection I can see but a licensed contractor?

Government can not stop you from working on your home even if it endangers you alone. They can require you to have a permit and to inspect it for compliance with local regulations. For me compliance enforcement is at the county level. They have "homeowners" building permits. These require the homeowner to take a written test to weed out the really stupid idiots. It's usually administered by the chief inspector, who first talks with you about what you want to do. He tells you the rules or references written documents. I've gotten electrical and plumbing permits and inspections several times. The written test is usually easy because you are only answering the questions about what you want to build. You get a restricted permit specific to what you want to build. Now if you are a stupid idiot, act like a jerk and bad mouth the building trades you will never pass the test. Government can stop you from doing things that will harm others, i.e., other persons property, health, well being, etc. I have even gotten general contractor permits which obligates me to hire only license subcontractors or get a homeowners permit and do the work myself. I think it's a reasonable system, a balance between protecting property rights and public safety.
I don't have the right tools, no neighbors or friends that can help. I have to drill through foundation & insulation & finished wall. I really need help. Additionall have to go around soffit & brace to roof.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”