Geo-Thermal Heating / Cooling Systems

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Does any know of a good reputable GEO-THERMAL contractor in the Carbon County area ? I've been doing some research on Geo-thermal and I'm pretty impressed with this type of system.

thanks. Tom.

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 12:08 pm

ok, we can go ahead and close this posting,,,, i'll go back to coal thinking.
sorry.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 2:07 pm

I here they are cheep to run, but I don't personally know anyone that has one. I know of someone that was going that way untill they foung the price for the complete system in a new construction, $20,000 includes drilling the wells. As far as I hear, you can use a pond instead of the well, if you have one, and freeze all the catfish. :lol:

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 4:18 pm

it depends where you are, if you are in a warmer climate with relatively low electric rates and a decent summer cooling load it's not a bad idea compared to conventional (oil/gas/propane/electric resistance) sources of heat. If you are in colder areas the price to install a successful geo system with no other backup source is going to be high, although the monthly heating/cooling costs are going to be lower than many other systems and often comparable with coal, you will have to spend a large amount of money up front to prevent the freezing of wells, the ground, a pond etc. An important thing to consider is not the payback time for the initial sum of money (ie 20,000USD) but the interest that you would have been recieving had you placed that same amount of cash in an interest bearing account, stocks, mutual funds, gold etc.; this is something that people often fail to consider. If you take out any kind of loan to pay for the system, then you must add the interest you will be paying into the equation to truly determine if it's cost effective for you. With the path that this country is on as far as the ever increasing environmental (and other) regulation, electricity prices will likely rise dramatically in the next quarter century.

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 7:06 pm

thanks guys

hophead

Post by hophead » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Interest Money???? You must be Rip Van Winkle. Now is the best time of all to go that way.

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 4:05 pm

I was quoted $7000 for the drilling holes, and system loop alone. Then an additional $6000 for the heatpump unit and associated connection work to my air handler. The only thing the oil furnace would really be used for would be to heat the domestic water. The contractor did an anaylsys and calculated the payback to be 4yrs based on what were paying in electric for the AC and heating oil overages vs what we would use with the geo-thermal unit. Still I have a hard time thinking of 13 grand, however the system is maintaince free other than a yearly cleaning of the heat pump.

its all a crap shoot, coal, wood, geo thermal, solar.... are we gonna save money? yes of course, but i'm seeing more and more that Coal is still the way to go..... :?

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 8:12 am

After calculating the COOLING savings as well as the heating savings, now I am of the opinion that GEO-THERMAL is the way to fly. Given the electric rates, it will be a 4yr payback vs burning the black rocks, and NO maintaince / ashes to empty. ;)
tom69z wrote:I was quoted $7000 for the drilling holes, and system loop alone. Then an additional $6000 for the heatpump unit and associated connection work to my air handler. The only thing the oil furnace would really be used for would be to heat the domestic water. The contractor did an anaylsys and calculated the payback to be 4yrs based on what were paying in electric for the AC and heating oil overages vs what we would use with the geo-thermal unit. Still I have a hard time thinking of 13 grand, however the system is maintaince free other than a yearly cleaning of the heat pump.

its all a crap shoot, coal, wood, geo thermal, solar.... are we gonna save money? yes of course, but i'm seeing more and more that Coal is still the way to go..... :?

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 9:29 am

What type and length warranty are they going to give you ? I can say my father had a new heat pump in new construction and they have been back at least 4 times in 2 years, blowing fuses and computer boards.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 9:59 am

A freind of mine was given a quote of $30000 to install GEo Therm. How could the prices be so different? I would make sure it is a complete system. If you can get it for $13k installed and it will do all the heating and is guaranteed it sounds like a no brainer. My friend still burns coal .

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 10:31 am

My father was quoted $20,000+ for the complete geo thermal system, the reason for the heat pump only.

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 2:34 pm

$13440 total, includes the well drilling and loop piping, the heat pump unit and installation connection to existing air handler that moves the air for my central AC. The exisiting AC compressor would no longer be used. One reason for the lowe price is because they can use existing ducting. Drilling into the bedrock has a much higher temp transfer vs a horizontal piping loop. Sized for my place a 2.5 ton system complete soup to nuts. Can purchase an extended warranty on the heatpump unit for an additional $1200.

And I was told there would be a 30% rebate from the corrupt government.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 2:52 pm

tom69z wrote:
And I was told there would be a 30% rebate from the corrupt government.
So when you get the rebate remember to thank us other taxpayers. :D

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 5:46 pm

the ease of use and virtually no maintaince is a real plus. with a wife and kids, I don't have much time to mess around with coal and ashes.

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm going to go Geo-thermal in another year. place just south of me builds some of the best Geo units available (Ft Wayne, ind. http://www.waterfurnace.com/)
5 300 ft deep wells or a 1/3 acre pond 8ft deep. The wells are a snap out here since it's all sand and no rock ledge to go thru.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”