So It Begins... Obama's Coal Crackdown

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 4:40 am

This was a headline this morning - "Obama Coal Crackdown Sends Message to Industry". Brace yourself, this is the beginning of our "energy costs necessarily skyrocketing." Oh wait, I forgot we have $3 dollar gallon and raising gas already so this must be just another step along the way. So tell me... how is Obama's energy policies working out for you? :mad: Lisa

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/17/obama- ... -industry/

murphyslaw

Post by murphyslaw » Tue. Jan. 18, 2011 6:18 am

That's not suprizing. Isn't this the president that said he would bankrupt the coal industry?

AKShadow
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Sub-bituminous, stove

Post by AKShadow » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 10:14 am

Keep in mind, it's fox news. Yeah, yeah, she's democrat too, THAT must be the problem. I don't think the nation's energy problems are partisan or were started nor will end with our current president.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 10:23 am

Your right Lisa once again we should be thinking of all the gas that will be saved when people will no longer have to drive up & down those pesky hills of the soon to be former mountain state. I can see it now, visit W.V. the muddy & polluted plain state.http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls& ... 03&bih=539
Simply beautiful.

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 10:43 am

here is one of the reason they denied it ....... figures fox did not report on this ............

Report shows Arch Coal rejected reducing environmental impacts at Spruce Mine

On January 17, 2011, reporter Ken Ward revealed that Arch Coal had reportedly refused to consider paying an extra 55 cents a ton for coal in order to meet EPA and Clean Water Act standards for the Spruce Mine, despite posting over $700 million in earnings for 2010.[7]

Ward uncovered a Sep. 2010 engineering report prepared for the EPA which showed that Arch Coal could have cut the stream damage from its proposed Spruce Mine in half without significantly increasing coal-production costs. Specifically, permanent and temporary stream burial could have been cut from 8.3 miles to about 3.4 miles under one alternative mining plan developed for EPA by engineering firm Morgan Worldwide. The alternative mining plan would have raised production costs for Arch subsidiary Mingo Logan Coal Co. by 55 cents per ton, about 1 percent of the expected per-ton sales price, according to the report obtained under the federal Freedom of Information Act. Arch Coal did not adopt the recommended changes for the Spruce Mine, and in early Jan. 2011, EPA officials revoked the operation's Clean Water Act permit, citing "destructive and unsustainable mining practices" proposed by the company.[7]

bbrroowwnn
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Other Heating: Quadra-fire 2100-I Wood fireplace insert

Post by bbrroowwnn » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:03 am

Yes, fox news only reports what they want you to hear for their agenda

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 12:27 pm

bbrroowwnn wrote:Yes, fox news only reports what they want you to hear for their agenda
thats a understatement..... fox is kinda like the onion news network with out the humor ..................... :shock:

PRengert
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by PRengert » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 1:29 pm

RAYJAY wrote:here is one of the reason they denied it ....... figures fox did not report on this ............

On January 17, 2011, reporter Ken Ward revealed that Arch Coal had reportedly refused to consider paying an extra 55 cents a ton for coal in order to meet EPA and Clean Water Act standards for the Spruce Mine, despite posting over $700 million in earnings for 20
What is the source of this "report"? Sounds like it was cut-and-pasted from some advocacy org to me.

RAYJAY

Post by RAYJAY » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 2:42 pm

PRengert wrote:
RAYJAY wrote:here is one of the reason they denied it ....... figures fox did not report on this ............

On January 17, 2011, reporter Ken Ward revealed that Arch Coal had reportedly refused to consider paying an extra 55 cents a ton for coal in order to meet EPA and Clean Water Act standards for the Spruce Mine, despite posting over $700 million in earnings for 20
What is the source of this "report"? Sounds like it was cut-and-pasted from some advocacy org to me.
lets try a reporter from the local newspaper,not owned by Rupert Murdoch

In a blockbuster revelation today, Charleston Gazette reporter Ken Ward uncovered a "secret" engineering report developed for the EPA by Kentucky-based Morgan Worldwide.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 4:40 pm

What gets me most is that for decades strip mines ruined the country sides that they mined on until finally some strict strip mining laws were put into effect. What in the heck happened to those laws that all of a sudden a mining company is allowed to make the old ones look like childs play. The bottom line will be as it always ends up the average taxpayer will have to foot the bill to try & restore the land but we can`t do what mother nature did so well. Just another example of doing the same thing all over & expecting a different result.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 4:58 pm

Well Samhill, it has to come from somewhere. The gov. is subsidizing "bio" plants up here so they are absolutely slaughtering the already slaughtered forest to burn and send electricity down to S. New England because the Enviro Nuts have mandated they use a percentage of "green" energy. It is horrendous. And the wind farms are springing up all over ME and they are a huge boondoggle on the taxpayers and locals. Once again, mandates and subsidies are behind it. Say, lets build a nuclear plant to stop burning coal and trees. :shock: Oops, forgot about all those pesky enviro nuts that hate nuclear and hate oil, and hate coal, and everything but warming your self on a rock in the sunshine, but have no solutions that work and do not create more damage then they mitigate.

Kevin

paulfun

Post by paulfun » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Our government is so screwed up! Time for REVOLT!

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 5:42 pm

paulfun wrote:Our government is so screwed up! Time for REVOLT!
Shhh... :shh: They may be listening... :secret: :chop:

heartofcoal

Post by heartofcoal » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 6:40 pm

The rich folk get what they want.
They buy what they want, and who they want.
It's always been that way. Always will.

AKShadow
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Sub-bituminous, stove

Post by AKShadow » Wed. Feb. 02, 2011 10:32 pm

RAYJAY wrote:
bbrroowwnn wrote:Yes, fox news only reports what they want you to hear for their agenda
thats a understatement..... fox is kinda like the onion news network with out the humor ..................... :shock:
hahaha haha...ha. Spot on :)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”