Dust Masks

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 11:13 am

rberq wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 9:19 am
Bot or not, there's sense in his posting. If masks don’t help, then why do virtually all doctors and nurses use them?

“... the greatest benefit of masking the masses … likely comes not from shielding the mouths of the healthy but from covering the mouths of people already infected. “
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/would-eve ... w-pandemic
I have read that a number of other places, too. Since there apparently are very large numbers of infected people with no symptoms, masks on those people could keep them from passing the virus to others. And since we don’t know which healthy people are carrying the germs, the only practical strategy is to mask everybody.

kobe999’s post says the authorities have cynically lied and discouraged and shamed people against masking, to keep the inadequate supply for healthcare workers. I think that is overstating it, but you have to wonder what would be the recommendation if there were enough masks to go around.
Some in the medical field have been trying to get the general public to not create shortages of masks for medical personnel by saying they don't protect, which is wrong. Others admit that the masks will help slow the spread in the general population, but that risk is lower compared to Doctors and Nurses. If they get sick we are in deeper trouble.

Soon after the mask panic started someone stole all the masks at my wife's Nursing Home. I bought her masks at Lowes and gave her some of my shop N95 masks with the exhalation valve because she wears glasses. That helped until her facility got resupplied.

Paul

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 11:32 am

You can't even get the maks anymore, and if you find them, they was $$$$. Just check Ebay, i';ve seen the 1860/N95 ones are like $10-100 EACH now!!! Ridiculous. I still have some from woodworking and my coal also. Ii think were like $10-15/Box of 10. Plus 2 boxes of nitryl gloves (for staining and stuff). you can't find those either, not even at Harbor Freight, they are sending to all the hospitals.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 12:56 pm

WNY wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 11:32 am
You can't even get the masks anymore, and if you find them, they was $$$$
(1) Those who have masks and ventilators to sell are profiteering and should be taken out and shot.
(2) Those who have masks and ventilators to sell are being smart businessmen.

Take your pick, (1) or (2). ;)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”