Little Brown Bagged Fire Starters Still Available?

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sun. May. 16, 2010 8:59 am

People's Coal Co‎
79 Kintner Alley, Stroudsburg, PA 18360-2512
(570) 421-4641‎

I'll bet they have starter bags.

Tom

Pocono Newbies

Post by Pocono Newbies » Sun. May. 16, 2010 2:17 pm

LOL, that's where we buy our coal. Never thought to ask them, but on the other hand, after being inside the little office, it doesn't seem likely that they have them either. But it can't hurt to ask, so I will.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. May. 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Pocono Newbies wrote:Hi Dave. We got them at the Drums location when we bought the stove, the closest place to us. At the time, Karen had told us that we could order them and they'd be mailed to us. Wondering if that still applies? Drums is quite a distance away from where we are for us to drive to buy these things. (I think it was close to a 2 hr. drive, or maybe 1 hr. 45 mins.).

BTW, love the stove. It cost us about $625 to heat our house this year, and we still have to make some adjustments that will increase the effeciency. That is less than the cost of one propane fillup, and we usually needed 3 propane fillups per heating season. Our last 500 gal. tank fillup ran us over $700, I think it was around $765.
I believe Karen will still ship them wherever . But you will have to get enough to make the shipping costs worth while.

Thats why I love coal ,its American and it saves money . I would cost me almost $2500 w oil to heat my house and I heat for under $1000 . Plus I know the money is not going to fund people that want to do us harm . Thanks ,Dave

Pocono Newbies

Post by Pocono Newbies » Mon. May. 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks, Dave. And yes, I agree with you... coal provides work here in PA (and other states that mine coal), it saved us lots of money this year, and at least we know that our money is not going overseas to places that would like to see us suffer!

Connie

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Aug. 09, 2010 9:36 pm

GUYS,GET COWBOY COAL FROM LOWES, SMASH INTO PIECES, TAKE 5-6 SMALL PIECES, WITH SHREDDEDPAPER IN TINY LUNCHBAG. DONE.

;>

poconoman

Post by poconoman » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Uglysquirrel wrote:GUYS,GET COWBOY COAL FROM LOWES, SMASH INTO PIECES, TAKE 5-6 SMALL PIECES, WITH SHREDDEDPAPER IN TINY LUNCHBAG. DONE.

;>
Great idea! I have a bunch of that stuff! :D

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 5:03 pm

If Peoples doesn't have them, Nick at LE Ritter Lumber Co should have them. He gave me a one to try about a year ago. He's a Reading dealer in Belvidere, NJ and that shouldn be less than a half hour from you.

Pocono Newbies

Post by Pocono Newbies » Sun. Oct. 10, 2010 9:35 am

Uglysquirrel wrote:GUYS,GET COWBOY COAL FROM LOWES, SMASH INTO PIECES, TAKE 5-6 SMALL PIECES, WITH SHREDDEDPAPER IN TINY LUNCHBAG. DONE.

;>
Sounds good, but what the heck is cowboy coal? Charcoal briquetts for BBQ, perhaps?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Oct. 10, 2010 9:42 am

Pocono Newbies

Post by Pocono Newbies » Sun. Oct. 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks, smitty! Will this stuff be good to start fires in a regular fireplace, too?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Oct. 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Don't think you'd need it in a regular fireplace .... because anything you burn in there is easy to light. ;)

Pocono Newbies

Post by Pocono Newbies » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 6:33 am

Well, I ordered the coal mice online, but not from Ace hardware, which had them in local store. Ace wanted $2 per mouse! I paid less than $1 per mouse, including shipping. Anyway, we opened up one of the bags, to find cowboy coal with shredded paper on top of it. Now at least I know what cowboy coal is, and if it will be more cost effect when we need more mice, I'll be making my own. Thanks, guys!

Pocono Newbies

Post by Pocono Newbies » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 6:39 am

SMITTY wrote:Don't think you'd need it in a regular fireplace .... because anything you burn in there is easy to light. ;)
We use the firestarter briquettes in our fireplace to get the logs burning, or kindling. The briquettes just make it easier to start a fire, but when it's time, I think I'll try one of these coal mice bags to see if that does the trick. We use the fireplace to take the chill off, before it's cold enough to light the stove. Once that stove is lit, we don't need the fireplace! :D

poconoman

Post by poconoman » Thu. Oct. 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Pocono Newbies wrote:Well, I ordered the coal mice online, but not from Ace hardware, which had them in local store. Ace wanted $2 per mouse! I paid less than $1 per mouse, including shipping. Anyway, we opened up one of the bags, to find cowboy coal with shredded paper on top of it. Now at least I know what cowboy coal is, and if it will be more cost effect when we need more mice, I'll be making my own. Thanks, guys!
OMGoodness. :shock: That's so expensive when you can make TONS of coal mice with the Cowboy and paper bags.

At least you know, now.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Fri. Oct. 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Pocono Newbies wrote:
wlape3 wrote:You may not need them. Search the forum and you will see many alternate methods for starting coal fires.
I had done a search, but had to cut it short. Nothing really turned up while I WAS looking, though. Guess I need to devote more time to the search.
Cowboy Charcoal. 3-4 pieces on the grate and you're good to go. Once bag of CC will last you a lifetime.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”