Pennsylvania Government Must Shift the Energy Market

Is shifting from oil to other energy sources a national priority?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 36

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Mon. Feb. 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Hmmm. Let me see if I have this right. We should just use this large new energy source that isn't available yet. We can't use oil, gas, coal, wood or nuclear but we can burn corn because its renewable even though we are burning our food and already creating a shortage of corn. We could never grow enough corn to use for transportation, never mind heat with it. How about the energy it takes to create fuel from corn?
That being said. Any new source of viable energy will come from the private sector, due to need and investment in a new technology in order to make a profit.

I've got it! Everyone should live closer to the Equator. That should eliminate the need to stay warm in the winter.
Well I've just solved one problem. I'll leave the rest for you.

greg white

Post by greg white » Mon. Feb. 19, 2007 8:22 pm

Yeah business loves us and is really concerned about everything cept money.Mr Peabody is a fine example.All the dead coal miners,lake erie usta burn.Let business do as they please,hell they are now,slave labor in China,thought we outlawed that a while ago?it don't matter ,right?
education in this country is now 9th in the world,Rome fell,things happen faster now.
Writing this is like kicking a dead horse.
We need ,perhaps more of the right goverment intervention,not business men in suits.My .03 cents.peace,GW

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Mon. Feb. 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Reminds me of what I hear in cirtain parts of town,

'Da Guvment gona tek care O Me'!

Sorry if it sounds like I am being sarcastic, I am.

Seems like as long as we have been at it, we could find some balance!

BK

greg white

Post by greg white » Tue. Feb. 20, 2007 5:23 am

I am sorry :( I interrupted this conversation,I am out.GW

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Feb. 20, 2007 8:22 am

Big business cut loose has in the past made a mess of things, So a certain amount of 'THE RIGHT GOVERNMENT' is needed to keep corporate greed undercontrol.

The problem is, as bk said, getting the right balance. A govenment agency is not required to make a profit, in fact if it does, it's spending budget will be cut. So there is no incentive to be effecient. Big business is very effecient, making money at the expense of safety, environment etc.

Big bussiness is not interested in much except making money, forget caring about their employees, safety, the environment.

So a little of the 'right government' applied to the overly zealous big business, should strike a balance.

But Politics ruins it all, catering to special interests, under-the-table deals, porkbarreling etc. Makes me sick.

But this is a good launching point to get EVERYONE you know to VOTE!! We have let all the special interests run the country lately because more than half the country won't VOTE.

I personally like outspoken straight shooters, even if their ideas are a bit whacky or off beat. We need some fresh air and new blood in government. The problem is you just about have to be part of the probleme to have enough money and backers with money to get elected to any position above dog-catcher.

Greg L

JET

Post by JET » Wed. May. 16, 2007 7:55 pm

Being from NEPA, I noticed that there has been an increasing amount of interest in using coal again. While there have always been the "die-hearts" out there, the onslaught of cheap and convenient gas put many companies out of business. My concern is that the price increases I've seen will deter many potential converts from using coal. Only a small percentage of anthracite mined is actually used for residential heating. However, I wonder what the wholesale price is to the commercial large users. Hard to tell as I can't find a commodity market carrying anthracite separately. Anyway, it seems like the "bottleneck" is in processing (breaker). Does anyone know this to be true/false? Have there been any new breakers constructed as demand seems to be increasing?

JiminBucks

Post by JiminBucks » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 3:18 pm

Yes, I believe big goverment should help 'kick start" new technoglies, for example, fleet vehicles that use electric , natural gas or even fuel cells. They have resources to order enough of these to help auto makers make the investment in new technoglies. However, it will be new startup companies with some goverment oversight that will bring clean green products to market. I'm a long time eco-type, been playing with Solar for a while, just converted over my hot-tub to 100% Solar from May til Oct. But I'm also a realist, Solar in the winter in the Southwest is great, but not here in the Northeast without a large investment. That's why I joined the Coal Club. I also live in a Rural area and when the Electric goes out we are the last to come back online, like during a bizzard! My next project is gonna tie my smaller hotub that's inside into the coal stove via a add-on copper loop. Sorry PPL!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 5:55 pm

JET wrote:Anyway, it seems like the "bottleneck" is in processing (breaker).
I thought they have been closing down breakers.
I'm sure a breaker is a faster less expensive project than say a refinery or a seaworthy drilling platform. If you have enough cash a new breaker could be on your site in a year, maybe less.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 8:35 pm

LsFarm wrote:Big business cut loose has in the past made a mess of things, So a certain amount of 'THE RIGHT GOVERNMENT' is needed to keep corporate greed undercontrol.

The problem is, as bk said, getting the right balance. A govenment agency is not required to make a profit, in fact if it does, it's spending budget will be cut. So there is no incentive to be effecient. Big business is very effecient, making money at the expense of safety, environment etc.

Big bussiness is not interested in much except making money, forget caring about their employees, safety, the environment.

So a little of the 'right government' applied to the overly zealous big business, should strike a balance.

But Politics ruins it all, catering to special interests, under-the-table deals, porkbarreling etc. Makes me sick.

But this is a good launching point to get EVERYONE you know to VOTE!! We have let all the special interests run the country lately because more than half the country won't VOTE.

I personally like outspoken straight shooters, even if their ideas are a bit whacky or off beat. We need some fresh air and new blood in government. The problem is you just about have to be part of the probleme to have enough money and backers with money to get elected to any position above dog-catcher.

Greg L

Agreed.
One of the problems is that people look to the government for help. The purpose of the government is (supposed to be) to enact laws to regulate business, not to finance business. The government should not be in the finance business. The more the (Liberal) legislators push laws to bail out businesses and individuals, the bigger and more bloated government becomes. As Greg said: Since the government is not profit driven, the concern for efficiency and the like is not there.
You (meaning anyone) may not think your one little vote matters very much, but you are wrong.
Last edited by CoalHeat on Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 8:53 pm

JiminBucks wrote:Yes, I believe big goverment should help 'kick start" new technoglies, for example, fleet vehicles that use electric , natural gas or even fuel cells. They have resources to order enough of these to help auto makers make the investment in new technoglies.
Remember who is paying to build the funds that "Big Government" would use to fund all these things! You and me!

Following a federal law:

A few years ago the State Of New Jersey ordered a bunch of Chevy Cavaliers for state employees to use on "Official Business". The state (meaning the taxpayers) paid extra to equip these cars to run on gasoline or CNG.
Since there was nowhere to fill the CNG tanks, the state built one, and then another. More $$$.

The only problem was they built only two. In Trenton, the state capitol, and in Hackensak. Take a look at the map, find Trenton & Hackensak. A state employee has to drive to Trenton or Hackensak to fill the CNG tank? When there is a gas station a block away?

But the cars had nice "CNG" stickers on them...then there are the police cars that were never used...

Maybe the state should have helped (by financing) the utility companies operating in NJ build CNG stations around the state so the state employees could fill the tanks.

Needless to say...it went over like a turd at a social.

Another example of Big Government spending our money.

Link to the State Auditors report on the program (interesting reading even if you don't live in NJ):
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Thanks!

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 1:01 am

coaledsweat wrote:
JET wrote:Anyway, it seems like the "bottleneck" is in processing (breaker).
I thought they have been closing down breakers.
I'm sure a breaker is a faster less expensive project than say a refinery or a seaworthy drilling platform. If you have enough cash a new breaker could be on your site in a year, maybe less.
They are not closing down the breakers They are trying to close down all of the independend Deep mine operators which Supplies the breakers with the coal As of today there are only 12 Deep mines Operating in the state of PA Two of these on this list below of 14 are shut down and there will be more to come in 2004 there was 17 in the state most of these mines if not all are Family own for Generation most of these mines are several hundered years old Are Big Fed. Goverment are and willing to shut them all down And take over and when that Happends you will see the same Results with Coal as you see with Oil & NG It is just a matter of time
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”