Coalcast Ep11: "Stoker Vs. Hand Fired" - January 14th, 2010

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jan. 11, 2010 6:40 pm

And in this corner weighing in at..... Ding, ding, ding..,,

This should be a fun and informative topic for those looking to purchase a new coal burning appliance and are on the fence choosing between a hand fired coal stove or stoker. We're looking for guests for this one so please PM me if you're interested especially if you own both.

List of Archived Shows

Attachments

.MP3 | 19.4MB | CoalCast_Episode_011_20100114.mp3

HanSoSlow

Post by HanSoSlow » Tue. Jan. 12, 2010 9:08 am

This will be great reading materials as I am just starting to look, so please post away so that I can make an informed decision. A buddy has a pellet fed system (stoker I think you call that) and he said it was messy (lots of ash and dust) and would not put one in a living space like I'm thinking about doing.

Please help this rookie make a good decision.

sootman

Post by sootman » Tue. Jan. 12, 2010 4:17 pm

I've got a Harman Mag in the garage and a EFM 520 highboy in the house, if I had a rec room where we sat in the evening it would be hand fired because like most Pyros I like to play with the fire :oops: but if you have a life and you need the heat you need a stoker.

Glenn

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Jan. 13, 2010 10:33 am

Hmmmmm, maybe a topic for another Coalcast, but I would suggest also discussing "Furnaces/Boilers vs. Stoves/Inserts".
So many people want to heat their entire house with a stove, and want/expect even temps in all rooms :crazy: :wacko: :notsure:

sootman

Post by sootman » Wed. Jan. 13, 2010 4:22 pm

DVC500 at last wrote:Hmmmmm, maybe a topic for another Coalcast, but I would suggest also discussing "Furnaces/Boilers vs. Stoves/Inserts".
So many people want to heat their entire house with a stove, and want/expect even temps in all rooms :crazy: :wacko: :notsure:
What gives me that is a 520 and radiant on the first floor, nice an comfy everywhere :yes:

Glenn

Rice Burner
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Rice Burner » Thu. Jan. 14, 2010 8:33 am

I had an old wood/chunk coal burning stove years ago. Now I run a dvc-500 and I can tell you I would not trade it for anything. Aside from the occasional good cleaning just load the hopper, dump the ash once a day and forget about it. Set the automatic thermostat and enjoy the warmth.

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Thu. Jan. 14, 2010 7:27 pm

This is my first year with coal, and to see if I would like burning coal I picked up a Vermont Castings Vigilant with the coal kit. And yes it is nice just to look at while it is burning, just sitting there giving heat. The one thing I do like about it, is that I can burn pea or nut coal and these sizes can be found on places like Craigslist for free or very cheap... I have not noticed people listing rice coal free or cheap.

But to be honest still in the testing stages and torn between the hand fire and stoker....
Last edited by cntbill on Thu. Jan. 14, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Thu. Jan. 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Sorry about the stream glitch toward the end of the show. We got a full recording though. Will try to get it posted tomorrow sometime.

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Fri. Jan. 15, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks Paul. I really enjoyed the discussion. It's rare I don't learn something new or get a greater appreciation for coal and the folks who make it available.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Jan. 16, 2010 12:45 am

Got half of the editing done. Turned out to be a long episode so it will get finished up and posted Saturday.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”