Lucky to Live in an Anthracite State

Perky
Location: NEPA - Poconos "the higher elevations" where we have are own weather!

Post by Perky » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Never realized how fortunate I was to live in the Anthacite region until I started reading the forum and checking out how much people pay for coal and the trouble they have finding it in other states.
Always thought I paid a lot since the price goes up every year and the state adds fees/taxes, but I see not as much as others.

Lola Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak

Post by Lola Coalfire » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Hear, hear! I'm from Colorado and fell in love with Pennsylvania when I first moved here. People often say, "Colorado! Colorado is so beautiful, and you moved here?" Yes indeedy, talk about beautiful! Among the vast forests are wonderful hardwoods, which my homeland does not possess. The Pennsylvania air caresses one's skin with moisture, which is not the case in Colorado, where every iota of moisture is evaporated and one's hide is daily fried by a closer, more potent, sun. There are plenty of lush, rolling mountains without having to experience nose bleeds from the elevation. Pennsylvania is huge for an eastern state and, excepting Filthadelphia and Pittsburgh, the state is not teeming with humans as Colorado is from over exposure as a destination... (that's why I moved east, to pay everybody back for moving to Colorado!) And, concurring with Perky, it has these nice chunks of glistening black rock that comes right out of the earth and is no end of amusement and warmth!

I count it a blessing that my first home in Pennsylvania was smack-dab in the Anthracite region, Schuylkill County. People were so real there, and virtually fad-free. I learned all about coal there including it's huge history (The Molly McQuires was filmed in McAdoo). Also, I picked up some of the idioms and humor of the region: If someone farts, you say "someone's stoker's goin' out."

So glad to be here!
Lola

samler17
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by samler17 » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm originally from PA but live in MD now. My wife was in the Air Force for 6yrs, lived in Florida for 2yrs, Ohio for 3,and New Mexico for 1. I told her when we were getting out I wanted to move as close to PA as I could. She got a job working at Aberdeen Proving Grounds as a cilivan for the Army. We noe live in Poet Deposit, MD 2 1/2 hrs from my parents in Hazleton. I love going back there and I just love the drive to.

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Yes you are! I spent a good part of my childhood in NEPA in Olyphant, Honesdale, Lakeville, and Weymart and then 25 years of my adult life in the Delaware and Schuylkill valleys. I sure do miss it and all the goodies that go along with it. What I wouldn't give sometimes for a decent cheese steak, soft pretzel, or some potato filling and ham loaf/ring bologna! Enjoy it while you have it...one never knows the future.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Been to PA quite a few times this year buying motorcycles. I have passed through the eastern part many times, but was amazed at the western part! I always said if I move from this hellhole (MA), I'd go straight to WV .... but after seeing WPA , I may have to re-think that!

I haven't been "tolled or ticketed" yet, so PA is ok in my book! 8-) :D

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 11:23 pm

i moved to schuylkill county from berks county about four years ago.......i knew nothing about coal heat other than what my parents and grandparents had told me about heating with coal......my parents got rid of the coal furnace when I was just a baby.......mom was all worried that the fumes from the coal furnace were going to make me sick (parents furnace was rotted out in 1971 and backed up into the house and mom and I got sick.)
coal prices even here have been going nuts.......first load of anthracite I purchased in 2005 was 95 bucks a ton.......now it's up to 160 a ton......i burn a minimum of 16 tons a winter

stokersmoker

Post by stokersmoker » Thu. Sep. 29, 2011 2:11 pm

I absolutely love this state. I moved here from Jersey 8 years ago and I'd NEVER go back! The cost of living is excellent, the schools are very good, and people are nice. I first rented an apartment in eastern Northampton County, right across the river from Jersey, and then got a job in upstate NY, so moving to Scranton area was a no-brainer with the highway system they have here. 84 back to family in NJ and a direct route to the Hudson Valley and New England, 380 to the Poconos and 80 to points west, the PA Turnpike goes directly to Lehigh Valley and ends right in Philly, and scenic Rt. 6 (named by NatGeo as one of Americas most scenic drives) thru the Endless Mountains region and the norther tier of PA. 2 hours and 20 minutes to NYC, and 2 and a half to Philly.
I also didn't know anything about coal before I moved to the Scranton area. We truely are blessed to have this natural resource here so widely available and at such a cheap price. I don't worry about winter heating bills anymore! And now add to this the recent natural gas drilling, this is truely a unique place! My roots are planted!

Vangellis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Olix Air Flo
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Vangellis » Wed. Oct. 12, 2011 4:13 pm

stokersmoker wrote:I absolutely love this state. I moved here from Jersey 8 years ago and I'd NEVER go back! The cost of living is excellent, the schools are very good, and people are nice. I first rented an apartment in eastern Northampton County, right across the river from Jersey, and then got a job in upstate NY, so moving to Scranton area was a no-brainer with the highway system they have here. 84 back to family in NJ and a direct route to the Hudson Valley and New England, 380 to the Poconos and 80 to points west, the PA Turnpike goes directly to Lehigh Valley and ends right in Philly, and scenic Rt. 6 (named by NatGeo as one of Americas most scenic drives) thru the Endless Mountains region and the norther tier of PA. 2 hours and 20 minutes to NYC, and 2 and a half to Philly.
I also didn't know anything about coal before I moved to the Scranton area. We truely are blessed to have this natural resource here so widely available and at such a cheap price. I don't worry about winter heating bills anymore! And now add to this the recent natural gas drilling, this is truely a unique place! My roots are planted!
Couldn't agree more with you SS.

All roads lead to Scranton. :D I always lived in the area though. Grew up in Elmhurst in the North Pocono area and now I live in Factoryville by Keystone College.
Did spend the weekend in Jersey though. Went to Ocean City for a family powwow. Great weather and even went into the water a few times. Anyway, I always
thought NEPA was a nice area. Cheap coal is just a bennie. 8-)

Kevin

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”