Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 01, 2009 10:54 pm

One down..........

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 2:28 am

I find it interesting, but not surprising that variations of the word "pollution" are interjected wherever possible by the AP writer of the article. They're trying to be sure to frame the issue as one of "evil pollution"; unfortunately that is the very debate they are unwilling to have -is CO2 a pollutant .

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 6:41 am

The word pollution is common, it's used all the time as they want to evoke images of three eyed fish instead of dealing with what it really is.

CO2 FYI has been labeled a "pollutant" by the EPA and they can regulate it, there was a supreme court case not long ago where it was determined they can under the Clean Air Act. However that decision was based on the IPCC reports and they may have specifically cited research from the CRU. Additionally it would only take an act of Congress to amend the Clean Air Act to exclude it, matter of fact the current energy bill has language that does just that.

Black_And_Blue
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Post by Black_And_Blue » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 8:16 am

The sun is in the pits of a very deep solar minimum. Many researchers thought the sunspot cycle had hit bottom in 2008 when the sun was blank 73% of the time. Not so. 2009 is on the verge of going even lower. So far this year, the sun has been blank 75% of the time, and only a serious outbreak of sunspots over the next few weeks will prevent 2009 from becoming the quietest year in a century. Solar minimum continues.
http://spaceweather.com/

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 8:26 am

There's hearing today at 10AM EST "State of Climate Science"

Should be good chance for some opening salvos from the GOP.

It's listed to be broadcast live via the web, not sure exactly where but I'll update as I find out.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 9:59 am

Starts at ten, here's link:

http://houseadmin.edgeboss.net/wmedia-live/housea ... 060525.asx

Edit: keeps saying not available. Here's link to page... no idea what is up.

http://globalwarming.house.gov/pubs#main_content

Black_And_Blue
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Post by Black_And_Blue » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 5:28 pm

I see Australia is leading the charge by sending this travesty of a bill to it's well deserved grave.

I want every putz who proclaimed this horsesh**t to be true to suffer complete humiliation on the public stage. Furthermore, any politician who was in support of this crap should be thrown out of office or arrested.

Ask me how I really feel.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Well, it finally made it to the "local" news out of Bangor ME. First they detailed the hacking, then they reported that the WH expert on global warming was calling it no big deal, and then they went to a piece on melting snow on Everest. I guess that means Channel 2 out of Bangor is as Liberal as I thought. You can't get the story from network tv!!

Kevin

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Finally heard it on NPR today. Guess it's just too big a story to completely ignore anymore. They're all trying to spin it into insignificance. :roll:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 2:29 am

KLook wrote:and then they went to a piece on melting snow on Everest.
The glaciers near Everest are growing.....
http://news.discovery.com/earth/himalayas-glacier ... hrink.html

...But in the rugged western corner of the plateau, the story is different, according to a new study. Among legendary peaks of Mt. Everest like K2 and Nanga Parbat, glaciers with a penthouse view of the world are growing, and have been for almost three decades.

"These are the biggest mid-latitude glaciers in the world," John Shroder of the University of Nebraska-Omaha said. "And all of them are either holding still, or advancing."

When Shroder and a team of researchers examined satellite imagery of the region's glaciers dating back to 1960, they found that 87 glaciers had surged forward during that time, sliding down into lower elevations. An analysis of gravity signatures in the region also suggests the glaciers are growing in mass, and have been since at least 1980.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 8:06 am

Sen Barbara Boxer calls emails a "Crime"... of course she would be referring to those that hacked them.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/03/boxer- ... onspiracy/

"The main issue is, are we facing global warming or are we not? ... I'm looking at these e-mails, that have been, even though they were stolen, they are now out in the public," she said. "We may well have a hearing on this, we may not. We may have a briefing for senators, we may not."

But she made clear that her focus is going to be on pursuing the hackers.

"This is a crime," she said, entering into the record the section of criminal code that deals with fraud connected with accessing computers without authorization. "Part of our looking at this will be looking at a criminal activity which could have well been coordinated."
Unless the hacker is within the US I don't see what the grounds would be anyway. Any crime would be the jurisdiction of the UK and the speculation is that it was inside job in which case the person may actually be immune under UK whistleblower laws.

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, if Stewart and MSNBC are reporting on it, it's pretty hard to argue the story is being buried by the "MSM."

But there are no reports of "smoking guns," just the usual scientific angst about the data not perfectly fitting the scientific models. So science is statistically messy. What else is new?

My own suspicion is that this "hacker revelation" may prove to be a last-ditch, pre-Copenhagen media stunt by some of the entrenched interests which might be disadvantaged by the direction the GW debate has been going.

But, as I've said before, we'll see what people who are looking at the details conclude.

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 3:03 pm

stockingfull wrote:My own suspicion is that this "hacker revelation" may prove to be a last-ditch, pre-Copenhagen media stunt by some of the entrenched interests which might be disadvantaged by the direction the GW debate has been going.
I doubt that is the case. If there were no truth to it the libs would be trumpeting that loudly and longly. More likely there has been a lot of monkeying with the data. It is also hard to believe the university in East Anglia is the sole repository of this climatic data. The more interesting question might be why have other institutions not come forward with their own data to either refute or support the allegations? :whistle:

Do I smell conspiracy? :shh:

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Time will tell.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 04, 2009 4:08 pm

stockingfull wrote:Well, if Stewart and MSNBC are reporting on it, it's pretty hard to argue the story is being buried by the "MSM."
If we take the name CRU and turn it into Exxon or Big Tobbaco do we still have the same type of coverage we are seeing now? :no2:

I've seen one mention of it the local paper which is about as liberal as it gets and it was published somewhere around the obits and focused on Mann because of the "local" connection with Penn State.

Up to this point the sole focus in most of the media has been on the emails which make for some juicy reading but are really second fiddle to the files and code.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”