Climate Change <Start Playing Taps>

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 1:27 am

Certified Lefty/AGW activist/journalist in the UK calls for Phil Jones resignation, re-analysis of the data and issues apology:
Global warming rigged? Here's the email I'd need to see | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

It's no use pretending this isn't a major blow. The emails extracted by a hacker from the climatic research unit at the University of East Anglia could scarcely be more damaging. I am now convinced that they are genuine, and I'm dismayed and deeply shaken by them.

Yes, the messages were obtained illegally. Yes, all of us say things in emails that would be excruciating if made public. Yes, some of the comments have been taken out of context. But there are some messages that require no spin to make them look bad. There appears to be evidence here of attempts to prevent scientific data from being released, and even to destroy material that was subject to a freedom of information request.

Worse still, some of the emails suggest efforts to prevent the publication of work by climate sceptics, or to keep it out of a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. I believe that the head of the unit, Phil Jones, should now resign. Some of the data discussed in the emails should be re-analysed.
I apologise. I was too trusting of some of those who provided the evidence I championed. I would have been a better journalist if I had investigated their claims more closely.

dll
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MKII & TLC 2000

Post by dll » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Old engineering proverb “Without accurate data you only have an opinion.”

Prior to any data gathering project the first thing any trained engineer/observer will do is to check the calibration of his/her measuring instruments. The next step in long term measurements is to ask the question, Has anything change between measurements?

As most of you know the temperature reading you get from your stove or furnace depends upon where you place your thermometer. The same applies to thermometers used to measure local air temperatures. If you are looking for long term changes in temperature you need a consistent placement and surroundings for the measuring device.

So how accurate are our current national temperature readings?

NOAA has specific standards for placement of thermometers for measuring local temperatures. According to the "Mid term census report of the Surface Stations Project" available at http://www.surfacestations.org/ we see this sentence on the "Executive Summary Page"
In other words, 9 of every 10 stations are likely reporting higher or rising temperatures because they are badly sited."

Black_And_Blue
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Post by Black_And_Blue » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Reminds me again of all the intentionally placed temperature sensors near air conditioner exhausts.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 4:52 pm

LOL, I've looked through some of those pictures before.... the funniest one I saw was next to burn barrel. What flame? That won't have no effect on the readings :roll:

Theres good write up here with a whole bunch of pictures:

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... ring09.pdf

Black_And_Blue

Post by Black_And_Blue » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Skip ahead to the Ed Begley melt down....

ETA : My first double tap, lol

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Nov. 25, 2009 8:11 pm

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X1342&site=wattsu ... aking.html

The New Zealand Government's chief climate advisory unit NIWA is under fire for allegedly massaging raw climate data to show a global warming trend that wasn't there.

The scandal breaks as fears grow worldwide that corruption of climate science is not confined to just Britain's CRU climate research centre.

In New Zealand's case, the figures published on NIWA's [the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric research] website suggest a strong warming trend in New Zealand over the past century:

But analysis of the raw climate data from the same temperature stations has just turned up a very different result:

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 12:09 am

WOW that is really shocking ....

that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell

that is all this global warming BS is. is fake fake fake made up bull *censored*

None of it is real at all none none when will people understand that. Not real. god

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 4:24 am

"Meltdown" in Australia:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/26/2754654.htm

Senior Liberals desert Turnbull

The Liberal Party is in turmoil with the resignations of five frontbenchers from their portfolios this afternoon in protest against the emissions trading scheme.

Tony Abbott, Sophie Mirabella, Tony Smith and Senators Nick Minchin and Eric Abetz have all quit their portfolios because they cannot vote for the legislation.

Senate whip Stephen Parry has also relinquished his position.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 8:22 am

Taking bets. Not a single one of the climate loonies
will fall on the sword. They will have to be driven off
the reservation.

Tom

Black_And_Blue

Post by Black_And_Blue » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 10:01 am

tsb wrote:Taking bets. Not a single one of the climate loonies
will fall on the sword. They will have to be driven off
the reservation.

Tom
They have already gone "off the reservation" !

* 1872 April 10, United States Congress, The Congressional Globe, page 2332:

The Indian may go off the reservation, he can steal from the whites and run back to the reservation with impunity.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 11:22 am

don't let this topic get buried . keep it alive . these poeple make me sick !!!

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 11:41 am

Mason it's not going to go way as much as the media and those that support this <coughliberalscough> wish it would. It's going to take people some time to assess the other documents that were released. Penn State for example has announced they will be "reviewing" the reports regarding Michael Mann of hockey stick fame which is just a nice way of saying they are investigating him.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/sites/default/files/u5/Man ... tement.pdf

Black_And_Blue

Post by Black_And_Blue » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 1:25 pm

SCIENTISTS at the University of East Anglia (UEA) have admitted throwing away much of the raw temperature data on which their predictions of global warming are based.

It means that other academics are not able to check basic calculations said to show a long-term rise in temperature over the past 150 years.

The UEA’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU) was forced to reveal the loss following requests for the data under Freedom of Information legislation.

The data were gathered from weather stations around the world and then adjusted to take account of variables in the way they were collected. The revised figures were kept, but the originals — stored on paper and magnetic tape — were dumped to save space when the CRU moved to a new building.
full story here :
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Basically, only the cooked up data points remain which renders their value meaningless. I don't think you could get a passing grade on a high school lab report if you couldn't prove the results.

F- you fail.

Cheetah

Post by Cheetah » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Black_And_Blue wrote:Basically, only the cooked up data points remain which renders their value meaningless. I don't think you could get a passing grade on a high school lab report if you couldn't prove the results.

F- you fail.
Unfortunately not everyone is held to the same standard. I don't expect Penn State is going to be too critical. Looking at

**Broken Link(s) Removed** ... tement.pdf

I see, "The resulting 2006 report of the NAS panel (http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676) concluded that Mann’s results were sound and has been subsequently supported by an array of evidence that includes additional large-scale surface temperature reconstructions."

Going to that link I found on page 4

"Based on the analyses presented in the original papers by Mann et al. and this newer supporting evidence, the committee finds it plausible that the Northern Hemisphere was warmer during the last few decades of the 20th century than during any comparable period over the preceding millennium. The substantial uncertainties currently present in the quantitative assessment of large-scale surface temperature changes prior to about A.D. 1600 lower our confidence in this conclusion compared to the high level of confidence we place in the Little Ice Age cooling and 20th century warming. Even less confidence can be placed in the original conclusions by Mann et al. (1999) that “the 1990s are likely the warmest decade, and 1998 the warmest year, in at least a millennium” because the uncertainties inherent in temperature reconstructions for individual years and decades are larger than those for longer time periods and because not all of the available proxies record temperature information on such short timescales."

IOW they aren't calling it total BS but they sure wouldn't bet the farm on it either. That was good enough for Penn State.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 01, 2009 6:27 pm

CRU Director Phil Jones "steps aside". Frankly I don't see how he could possibly ever return to this position. The law is the law and it's pretty clear by the emails to me that he violated the FOIA in the UK. Prosecution is inevitable or should be.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2009/no ... /CRUupdate
Professor Phil Jones has today announced that he will stand aside as Director of the Climatic Research Unit until the completion of an independent Review resulting from allegations following the hacking and publication of emails from the Unit.

Professor Jones said: "What is most important is that CRU continues its world leading research with as little interruption and diversion as possible. After a good deal of consideration I have decided that the best way to achieve this is by stepping aside from the Director's role during the course of the independent review and am grateful to the University for agreeing to this. The Review process will have my full support."

Vice-Chancellor Professor Edward Acton said: "I have accepted Professor Jones's offer to stand aside during this period. It is an important step to ensure that CRU can continue to operate normally and the independent review can conduct its work into the allegations.

“We will announce details of the Independent Review, including its terms of reference, timescale and the chair, within days. I am delighted that Professor Peter Liss, FRS, CBE, will become acting director.”

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”