Climate Change <Start Playing Taps>

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 2:14 pm

I really, really hate hackers but in this case I wish to buy them a beer.
http://www.examiner.com/article/hadley-cru-hacked ... and-emails

The University of East Anglia's Hadley Climatic Research Centre appears to have suffered a security breach earlier today, when an unknown hacker apparently downloaded 1079 e-mails and 72 documents of various types and published them to an anonymous FTP server. These files appear to contain highly sensitive information that, if genuine, could prove extremely embarrassing to the authors of the e-mails involved. Those authors include some of the most celebrated names among proponents of the theory of anthropogenic global warming (AGW).
This is no hoax either as it's been confirmed the documents are real. This story is just starting to get out but the after reading some of the material that's been made available this is going to really place into question everything that has been put on the table the last few decades about climate change. It's a bright new day, think I'm going to go get drunk. :P

-----edit------

Excellent page here with a lot of the contents of the files.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/ind ... ey_hacked/

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Wonder if they can hack into Al Gore's emails too. :D Maybe this could be the end of using questionable "science" to set public policy but somehow I doubt it. :notsure:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Wlape, this is huge. The scientists involved with this are the top people involved with this, all of the global warming research is based on what they have done and it's emerging from these documents they could have perpetrated one of the largest frauds of all time. One article I have read suggested the release of these documents could be the the greatest scientific scandal ever. That's how big it is.

A excerpt:
"I think we have to stop considering Climate Research as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board…What do others think?"

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 3:10 pm

I certainly hope so. I've been saying this stuff is bunk for years. Any student of history knows the earth warms up and cools down of it's own accord. There is no proof we are the cause of any current trends.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 3:35 pm

wlape3 wrote:Wonder if they can hack into Al Gore's emails too. :D
He is on the suicide hotline right now.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Absolutely amazing, these guys will be lucky if they avoid jail:
1107454306 - “The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone.”

1109021312 - “Don’t any of you three tell anybody that the UK has a Freedom of Information Act !”

1210341221 - “2. You can delete this attachment if you want. Keep this quiet also, but this is the person who is putting in FOI requests for all emails Keith and Tim have written and received re Ch 6 of AR4. We think we’ve found a way around this.”

1212073451 - “Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4?”

1228330629 - “If he pays 10 pounds (which he hasn’t yet) I am supposed to go through my emails and he can get anything I’ve written about him. About 2 months ago I deleted loads of emails, so have very little - if anything at all. This legislation is different from the FOI”

1089318616 - “I can’t see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow - even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is !”

1092418712 - “Obviously, under no circumstances should any of this get back to Pielke.”

0876437553 - “I am very strongly in favor of as wide and rapid a distribution as
possible for endorsements. I think the only thing that counts is
numbers. The media is going to say “1000 scientists signed” or “1500
signed”. No one is going to check if it is 600 with PhDs versus 2000
without. They will mention the prominent ones, but that is a
different story.”

1106338806 - “Data is covered by all the agreements we sign with people, so I will be hiding behind them.“

0843161829 - “I really wish I could be more positive about the Kyrgyzstan material, but I swear I pulled every trick out of my sleeve trying to milk something out of that. ”

1053461261 - “The various papers apparently in production, regardless of their individual emphasis or approaches, will find their way in to the literature and the next IPCC can sift and present their message(s) as it wishes., but in the meantime , why not a simple statement of the shortcomings of the BS paper as they have been listed in these messages and why not in Climate Research?”

1254108338 - “So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degC, then this would be significant for the global mean — but we’d still have to explain the land blip.”

1114025310 - “Ch 4 has swallowed this hook, line and sinker and it is really a Ch 6 issue. Ch 6 wasn’t even aware of it. Can’t decide who on Ch 4 knew about it as Oerlemans isn’t there and the Swiss Glacier people didn’t know about the paper 2 weeks ago when I saw them. I like the curve as does Mike Mann, but its not for any scientific reason.”

1106322460 - Trying to get Saiers ousted from GRL

1098472400 - “This is all gut feeling, no science, but years of experience of dealing with global scales and varaibility.”
Considering they have discussed here deleting emails one has to wonder what was deleted.

--------side note-------

I realize this goes against my rule about posting email correspondence but his topic is just too huge to stick with this rule.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I guess this would be considered "an inconvieniant truth".

Black_And_Blue
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Post by Black_And_Blue » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha ......

Funny as hell (see my sig line) but don't underestimate their quest for power. Just like with the health care (new tax) bill, it will be implemented just to spite you.
Last edited by Black_And_Blue on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead image link>

mr1precision
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130

Post by mr1precision » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 4:21 pm

I can hear the fromal anouncement now.
Ladies and gentalmen of the world. Ahhhhh.................ya know that whole glooooobal warming thing? Ahhhhh...............................nevermind. :doh:

uggabugga
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Other Heating: Harman Hearth Hero

Post by uggabugga » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Soon to be known as Climategate..
The University of East Anglia's Hadley Climatic Research Centre appears to have suffered a security breach earlier today, when an unknown hacker apparently downloaded 1079 e-mails and 72 documents of various types and published them to an anonymous FTP server. These files appear to contain highly sensitive information that, if genuine, could prove extremely embarrassing to the authors of the e-mails involved. Those authors include some of the most celebrated names among proponents of the theory of anthropogenic global warming (AGW).
http://www.examiner.com/article/hadley-cru-hacked ... and-emails

some excerpts:
I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline. Mike's series got the annual land and marine values while the other two got April-Sept for NH land N of 20N. The latter two are real for 1999, while the estimate for 1999 for NH combined is +0.44C wrt 61-90. The Global estimate for 1999 with data through Oct is +0.35C cf. 0.57 for 1998.
This was the danger of always criticising the skeptics for not publishing in the “peer-reviewed literature”. Obviously, they found a solution to that–take over a journal! So what do we do about this? I think we have to stop considering “Climate Research” as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board…What do others think?”
And this one from Michael Mann, of hockey-stick fame:
"Anyway, I wanted you guys to know that you’re free to use RC [RealClimate.org - A supposed neutral climate change website] Rein any way you think would be helpful. Gavin and I are going to be careful about what comments we screen through, and we’ll be very careful to answer any questions that come up to any extent we can. On the other hand, you might want to visit the thread and post replies yourself. We can hold comments up in the queue and contact you about whether or not you think they should be screened through or not, and if so, any comments you’d like us to include."
Just... wow.
Last edited by uggabugga on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged topic

dll
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MKII & TLC 2000

Post by dll » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 4:58 pm

The information revealed might not be a how-to guide to cooking the books, but it reveals something even worse — how a belief took hold in the absence of scientific proof and then how the science was corrupted to support that belief system, rather than examining the myriad agents that have an impact on the climate and how they interact, amplify, or dampen each other.

Our problem as a world is we have a bunch of “world wise” would be saviors running around trying to make a utopia they envision (while lining their own pockets usually) rather than taking care of the electorate who placed them in office.

For those that want to watch the latest on one of the exposing emails from the hacked server here is a link that you may find interesting.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/20/mikes-nature-trick/
BTW the Michael Mann referred to as an author is the guy that created the "Hockey Stick" graph for Adolf Gore's original slide show and is a member of the Penn State University faculty, holding joint positions in the Departments of Meteorology and Geosciences, and the Earth and Environmental Systems Institute (ESSI). He is also director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center (ESSC).
Read the "responses" they are usually the best part of the article.
Last edited by dll on Sat. Nov. 21, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr1precision
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130

Post by mr1precision » Fri. Nov. 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Black_And_Blue wrote:Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha ......

Funny as hell (see my sig line) but don't underestimate their quest for power. Just like with the health care (new tax) bill, it will be implemented just to spite you.

Edit to add : **Broken Image Link(s) Removed**
Love that banana!

dll

Post by dll » Sat. Nov. 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Now there are two websites that have put all of the emails into a searchable database with a web engine interface.

http://www.di2.nu/foia/foia.pl
Last edited by dll on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 21, 2009 12:59 pm

dll wrote:The information revealed might not be a how-to guide to cooking the books,
Actually the one email being circulated that mentions the "trick" is pointing in that direction. Everyone is seizing on the word trick but it's what follows that is important... "Hide". Apparently this conversation was in relation to the famous Hockey Stick . There is an explanation here if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=7810

Note that the page may take a while to load as apparently the site is being overwhelmed. :P

dll

Post by dll » Sat. Nov. 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Here is a link to a good summary of those leaked documents.
http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2009/11/20 ... gs-33.html

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”