How Many Folks Burning Coal in Maine ?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 6:56 pm

g13nw00d-man wrote:Thank you for the welcome, I was told about the forum from Steve Zee when he inquired about my stove I posted for sale, so ya that was me. I wanted to sell her because I am a bit of a perfectionist and I was missing a few minor parts and had a repair done on the ash pan floor. But in talking to a bunch of folks I decided not to, Emery at the antique stove hospital has the missing parts for me and the repair will be fine until this spring when I will drop her off to emery for a full resto, and have him repair it proper ( or maybe I can find a replacement base). Last year I burned what ever brand blue seal had I thought it was a bit dusty in the bag, I'm buying Reading from dysarts unless you guys have a better brand/price to offer. Jason
Hi Jason,
Welcome to the Forum. I hope you will participate often. You are the fifth person here with a Glenwood No 6. So welcome and if you have any questions about your stove just ask okay.

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks William,
Actually you are the reason I sought out and bought my #6. I was doing some research last year on heat source's other that oil, and I decided on coal. I was in the process of "restoring" a beat up #116 which I was told was a #6 over the phone before I drove to Well's Maine to buy it and found it to be a #116. I went to a local antique stove shop to get some parts and saw this #6 in the back of the shop. Having seen your videos on your #6 I bought it on the spot. After I went through my bi-polor moment a few weeks ago I put it up for sale and the 15 or so responses to my add talked me out of it, she is not goin anywhere. Jason....

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 10:33 pm

g13nw00d-man wrote:Thanks William,
Actually you are the reason I sought out and bought my #6. I was doing some research last year on heat source's other that oil, and I decided on coal. I was in the process of "restoring" a beat up #116 which I was told was a #6 over the phone before I drove to Well's Maine to buy it and found it to be a #116. I went to a local antique stove shop to get some parts and saw this #6 in the back of the shop. Having seen your videos on your #6 I bought it on the spot. After I went through my bi-polor moment a few weeks ago I put it up for sale and the 15 or so responses to my add talked me out of it, she is not goin anywhere. Jason....
Thank you very much for the compliment. Once you get it fully restored, you can run these at any temperature you want. Since the weather here is raw and cool (low to mid 40's) I am running mine right now and I have the stove putting out about 250-275 degrees on the barrel and I have consumed about 25 pounds of coal in it since yesterday afternoon. I need to allow a little more heat out of the chimney this time of year to make sure I keep a decent draft flowing. None the less the stack temperature is running around 115 degrees and the stove is just idleing along. You can not beat the efficiency and versatility of these stoves. I have owned a lot of them over the years and none can touch the Glenwood No 6.

rasct

Post by rasct » Mon. Oct. 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi Jason,
Welcome to the site. It is a plethora on information, you just need to search it, read it or ask it- It is all on here. Williams’s videos and posts started my addiction to the old beauties. I tell the wife it is all Williams fault when I buy another stove!

PC 12-47E,
I spend 3 weeks a year up in Damariscotta camping, this was our 20th year going to that beautiful area! Our dream is to purchase a house up there on a lake and spend all summer. A few years ago the kids wanted to see the area all frozen so we made a trip up and holy cow was it penetrating cold. We looked and retreated back to CT. after a few nights.
They are now interested in ice fishing. Can you point me in the right direction or know of a guide for that.

Rob

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 6:29 am

rberq wrote:On: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:32 pm
Just filled the tank at $2.549,
That was just a year ago. Back when we complained like heck about the prices....now it's over a dollar more and I haven't heard a complaint. I don't get it. Oil goes up over 33% while coal goes up 5%? I'm liking coal more and more!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 8:21 am

Freddy wrote:
That was just a year ago. Back when we complained like heck about the prices....now it's over a dollar more and I haven't heard a complaint. I don't get it. Oil goes up over 33% while coal goes up 5%? I'm liking coal more and more!
No kidding Freddie! It's apathy. People are so used to being disgusted by the oil situation and their inability to do anything about it that they just accept. Really irks me, but thank good for this site and the like minded people here. As most usuers say, I only wish I had found it years ago. Every time i'm forced to go to a gas station and buy fuel, I'm pissed off. I usually vent to someone pumping gas and most say "nothing we can do about" with a blank look on their face. :mad: Probably right but it still gets my blood boiling.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 9:14 am

Freddy wrote:
That was just a year ago ...
Filled it again July 29 at $3.309. It has dropped about 15 cents since then. Hallelujah! :sick:

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 9:50 am

rasct wrote:Hi Jason,
Welcome to the site. It is a plethora on information, you just need to search it, read it or ask it- It is all on here. Williams’s videos and posts started my addiction to the old beauties. I tell the wife it is all Williams fault when I buy another stove!

PC 12-47E,
I spend 3 weeks a year up in Damariscotta camping, this was our 20th year going to that beautiful area! Our dream is to purchase a house up there on a lake and spend all summer. A few years ago the kids wanted to see the area all frozen so we made a trip up and holy cow was it penetrating cold. We looked and retreated back to CT. after a few nights.
They are now interested in ice fishing. Can you point me in the right direction or know of a guide for that.

Rob

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 10:04 am

Sorry about the entire quote I'm still figureing out the forum layout.
@Rob I love this state, Heck I love the cold. I married a little Florida girl and we visit her family often and I hate it there (nice to visit but). There is something about Maine in the fall, crisp mornings, warm coffee, bird hunting. Heck I love the winter, Christmas with snow on the ground, Keeping my family warm with the stove running, ok ok enough rambling.
I know a couple of Registered Maine Guide's let me talk with them and see if it's ok to private msg you there numbers. If you don't want to pay someone (I am in support of our local outdoorsman) I along with a bunch of buddy's fish and hunt every year and most of them are just as knowlageable as any maine guide.
I cant wait for it to cool down enough to fire up the number six. most people dred heating season I look foward to it. God Bless... Jason...

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 11:45 am

Rob,

Jason is right. There are loads of lakes, ponds, etc to ice fish in Maine. Just about every area has some and allot of the locals are the most knowledgeable and know the best spots. Maine's greatest natural resource is water! We got lots. :)

Aldo8811

Post by Aldo8811 » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 9:34 pm

I haven't started yet but I have a new KA-6 in the garage being hooked into my system and 4 tons of rice in the driveway. Looking forward to watching the oil truck drive right by!

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Wed. Oct. 12, 2011 8:24 am

Aldo8811 wrote:I haven't started yet but I have a new KA-6 in the garage being hooked into my system and 4 tons of rice in the driveway. Looking forward to watching the oil truck drive right by!
Good deal!! Did you get your coal at Dysarts? I was told they are selling bagged rice for $215 a ton. Is this right?

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Oct. 12, 2011 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum Aldo, Good to see more Mainers "seeing the light".

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Wed. Oct. 12, 2011 8:45 pm

sterling40man wrote:
Good deal!! Did you get your coal at Dysarts? I was told they are selling bagged rice for $215 a ton. Is this right?
Has this been confirmed? If so, what brand.
If it's true, that is less than my dealer in New Hampster pays for his rice (Blashak and Kimmel)?
He could probably buy it there and truck it cheaper than what he currently pays..

Dan

Aldo8811

Post by Aldo8811 » Wed. Oct. 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome, I figure I have a lot to learn. We got our rice from DownEast in Gouldsboro. 330 per ton plus 20 per for delivery. We checked with the local Agway, they were up around 360 or 370. We found a young fella in Augusta, claimed he would beat anyones price, but seems talk is cheap as we could never get him to follow up on anything with us. I never checked with Dysarts.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”