How Many Folks Burning Coal in Maine ?

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Mon. Oct. 15, 2012 9:34 am

NoSmoke wrote: Now both places still are open and sell fuel oil, but not coal.
Too bad. There are plenty of places in the County that sell coal...........only a couple that sell bulk though. Even Walmart in Presque Isle is selling Reading bagged rice for $310 a ton. Forum member SteveZee lives on the coast and gets it from Center Farms Coal in Easton. http://centerfarmscoal.com/ I guess it's cheaper than downstate..............even with the delivery charge!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Oct. 17, 2012 2:42 am

I have plenty of family up in the county (Fort Fairfield) so I know what you are saying is true, and boy I sure wish it was that way here. I was just talking with my pastor who lived up in the County himself and has a wife with family up there, and the other day and we were discussing how prevalent coal is up there. It is getting harder to find here, but I see Dysarts has it so that may be where I get my next round of coal.

No one ever said we were smart down here anyway. Waldo County and The County have the same type of soil, the best in Maine, and yet you guys are planting potatoes still while we are growing houses. If it gets any more crowded here I might have to move North.

jdeg

Post by jdeg » Fri. Oct. 19, 2012 11:34 pm

One more in the Valley here. Got an AHS s-130 this year. I'm a newbie to coal. I wonder if it is cheaper up here cause the many trucking companies truck it up on return loads instead of running empty and make a few $'s. I paid $330/ton delivered from RFC for pea size bagged, which I thought was pricey. I may try Morin farms in the future but do they have pea size? Do they deliver? I heard Center Farms was more $'s than RFC but I have not inquired.

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 8:49 am

jdeg wrote:One more in the Valley here. Got an AHS s-130 this year. I'm a newbie to coal. I wonder if it is cheaper up here cause the many trucking companies truck it up on return loads instead of running empty and make a few $'s. I paid $330/ton delivered from RFC for pea size bagged, which I thought was pricey. I may try Morin farms in the future but do they have pea size? Do they deliver? I heard Center Farms was more $'s than RFC but I have not inquired.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. A lot of knowledgeble folks on this site. If you have questions don't be shy to ask.........you'll get the right answer. As far as I know Morin Farms doesn't have pea or do they deliver.....I could be wrong. I get rice from them and go get it myself. Check your PM's.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 11:27 am

Throwing my hat in the ring, yr. 2

jdeg

Post by jdeg » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 7:40 pm

sterling40man wrote: Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. A lot of knowledgeble folks on this site. If you have questions don't be shy to ask.........you'll get the right answer. As far as I know Morin Farms doesn't have pea or do they deliver.....I could be wrong. I get rice from them and go get it myself. Check your PM's.
Thanks for the info 40man. Just by lurking/searching around this forum I've found the answers to a few questions I had. No doubt there are people with a lot of knowledge on this forum. I'll probably get more info here than from the dealer or the manufacturer of my unit. PM sent

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Found out today that Aubachon Hardware in Belfast Maine sells coal. Rice, Pea and Nut coal...

They do not carry a lot of it on hand granted, but they do have it by the bag and will cut you some slack if you buy it by the ton. Also, if you need to break the price up into easier payments they told me they would. The latter isn't an issue I have, but I am passing along the information because...well this is Maine and we are always in a recession. I thought some people might like the fact that they can pay as they go instead of having all the money up front like some home heating fuels require.

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 9:45 am

This is my first year with coal useing a leisure line 110 boiler . I bought my coal from Center Farms and very happy with the coal and service . They are very friendly folks to deal with . That's interesting about Wal Mart carrying coal in Presque Isle as I haven't seen it in the Houton Wal Mart Yet . They do sell a pile of wood pellets though .

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 7:17 pm

hcarlow wrote:That's interesting about Wal Mart carrying coal in Presque Isle as I haven't seen it in the Houton Wal Mart Yet
I've been wondering when HD or Lowes or Wal Mart would carry coal. I wonder whether there would be a significant price break. Doesn't seem to be with wood pellets.

mope#2
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k4
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heatpumps

Post by mope#2 » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Just started yesterday in my ka2 Keystoker.".Lovin it " in Baileyville. Where you say??

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 8:20 am

mope#2 wrote:Just started yesterday in my ka2 Keystoker.".Lovin it " in Baileyville. Where you say??
aka Woodland. Go to the end of the Airline and turn left. My wife's family comes from there -- her father grew up on a farm three miles into the woods, almost to the end of Ryan Road, I believe. Where do you buy your coal?

mope#2

Post by mope#2 » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 9:11 am

Bought 3 ton with the boiler from Downeast coal and Stove shop. Nice people to deal with.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 10:25 am

Hey Bob, Baileyville/Woodland That's just up the "street" from me.

Mope, the Chipelloni's are nice guys. (Downeast Coal) I get bulk delieveries from Center farms and have been happy with them and their price per ton is less than both Downeast and Whitney's. That's delivered to my bin. I don't know if bagged would work out cheaper though, but the Center farms folks, Bruce and Elaine White are good people.

mope#2

Post by mope#2 » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Seeing how I was new to coal I went with bagged rice for the first year. If all works out I`ll look into the bulk and figure out where to put a coal bin. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are close so options to dump it are limited.
I`ll have to call Center Farms when the time comes and get all the details as far as type of coal,and how their conveyor operates.
Milford

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 6:45 pm

They have a converted potato truck. The hydraulic conveyor that pulls out about 20 feet and can swing a bit maybe 30 degrees in each direction. The truck has 3 load bins and holds about 12 tons.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”