New Yorkers, Make Yourself Known

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 7:51 pm

I used to get my coal from Sam also. The road he lived on was Summit rd. It was on top of the world :lol: The wind ALWAYS was blowing there. :)

coconut56

Post by coconut56 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello, Great forum here. I am in Brasher Falls,N.Y. about 12 miles from the Eisenhower Locks on the St.Lawrence Seaway app. 165 miles north of Syracuse. We just kinda laugh when people say they are from upstate New York :roll: I am originally from South Western Penna (Somerset county) and used coal as a boy growing up. I did not even know you could get coal around here and have always heated with wood stove / oil boiler. Right now I am looking to buy a Hitzer 30-95 as I only heat 1200 square foot.

My question is : Where can I buy coal around here ? I believe Hitzer states nut or pea to utilize the hopper system. It sure wood be nice to have heat at night when we get home from work without having to re-stoke a wood stove ;) I would have went this route long ago , had I known where to buy coal around here , especially with all these great new coal stoves today ! Someone was telling me there was a guy over in Bangor , N.Y. thats sells coal , but I cannot seem to get any info on him. From what I understand , the bus garage at Chazy, N.Y. heats with coal , Northern Adirondack school district , I believe. Well , thanks for any and all help anyone may have! :D Just itchen' to buy that Hitzer and burn coal again !!!

Kevin

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Nov. 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Near Dansville, NY

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Sat. Nov. 28, 2009 9:41 pm

coconut56 wrote:Hello, Great forum here. I am in Brasher Falls,N.Y. about 12 miles from the Eisenhower Locks on the St.Lawrence Seaway app. 165 miles north of Syracuse. We just kinda laugh when people say they are from upstate New York :roll:
Kevin
Well, technically most of us are from central NY although there distinctions there too. Syracuse is more central than Albany (East Central) or Buffalo (West Central) which is usually called Western NY. Then there's the southern tier area, downstate (excluding NYC and LI) and what most of us eastern central NY's call the north country. Truth is, I think most of us like to call ourselves upstaters because it distinguishes us from the NYC area with which most of us have little in common. Just a thought.

coconut56

Post by coconut56 » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 1:22 am

Truth is, I think most of us like to call ourselves upstaters because it distinguishes us from the NYC area with which most of us have little in common. Just a thought.
Very good point , now I understand :idea:

Kevin

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 5:53 am

wlape3 wrote:
coconut56 wrote:Hello, Great forum here. I am in Brasher Falls,N.Y. about 12 miles from the Eisenhower Locks on the St.Lawrence Seaway app. 165 miles north of Syracuse. We just kinda laugh when people say they are from upstate New York :roll:
Kevin
Well, technically most of us are from central NY although there distinctions there too. Syracuse is more central than Albany (East Central) or Buffalo (West Central) which is usually called Western NY. Then there's the southern tier area, downstate (excluding NYC and LI) and what most of us eastern central NY's call the north country. Truth is, I think most of us like to call ourselves upstaters because it distinguishes us from the NYC area with which most of us have little in common. Just a thought.
:D
Interesting point. I'm in Orange County (S of 84, W of the Hudson); that's upstate to downstaters and downstate to upstaters!

SchH

Post by SchH » Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Makin it in Buffalo for now, just found this board, lots of good info here!

sootman

Post by sootman » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 4:58 pm

wlape3 wrote:Was that bulk rice or bagged? Another coal user in Duanesburg told me about Sam Miller but not exactly where he was located. I can understand why he moved back. Winters can be pretty nasty around here if you are not used to them. Weather in Delaware is much milder than upstate NY but Kentucky can get cold too. I worked in northern Delaware for a few years and winters were not as cold but the wind off the bay was as bad as it is in Buffalo coming off of Lake Erie. Brrrrr.
That was bagged, from the east,take rt 20 west after you pass Cherry Valley go to the next light [ about 4 miles ] if you are coming from the west go threw Richfield Springs and go to the next light [ about 4 miles ] go north on rt 80 about 3 miles, turn right onto Summit Hill rd, bear left at the Y and go to the top of the hill, make first left [ DeRonda rd ] first place on right [ gray buildings ] is where you want to go, pole barn out back full of coal. 315 858 0384 but not always answered, they go to bed early, 8PM, hope this helps

Glenn

sootman

Post by sootman » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 5:21 pm

coconut56 wrote:Hello, Great forum here. I am in Brasher Falls,N.Y. about 12 miles from the Eisenhower Locks on the St.Lawrence Seaway app. 165 miles north of Syracuse. We just kinda laugh when people say they are from upstate New York :roll: I am originally from South Western Penna (Somerset county) and used coal as a boy growing up. I did not even know you could get coal around here and have always heated with wood stove / oil boiler. Right now I am looking to buy a Hitzer 30-95 as I only heat 1200 square foot.

Kevin
Kevin,I know not as far north as you, but we still get over 200" of snow most years, :D not as much as the guy's just north of Syracuse where some DAYS they get 3 or 4 ' yes thats feet, sometimes over 10' in one week, are you north of the snow belt ?

Glenn

coconut56

Post by coconut56 » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 6:14 pm

[quote][/quote]Kevin,I know not as far north as you, but we still get over 200" of snow most years, :D not as much as the guy's just north of Syracuse where some DAYS they get 3 or 4 ' yes thats feet, sometimes over 10' in one week, are you north of the snow belt ?

Glenn

Glenn,

Yes , we are 100 miles north of the snow belt . I had the misfortune one winter to get caught in one of those storms , had to bring my father in law to the V.A. hospital in Syracuse. I couldn't even see past the hood of my truck.We do not get that much snow up here these days. A lot colder temps though. I don't envy you guys with all that snow . :lol: Its not for me anymore.

Kevin

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Mon. Nov. 30, 2009 7:00 pm

sootman wrote: That was bagged, from the east,take rt 20 west after you pass Cherry Valley go to the next light [ about 4 miles ] if you are coming from the west go threw Richfield Springs and go to the next light [ about 4 miles ] go north on rt 80 about 3 miles, turn right onto Summit Hill rd, bear left at the Y and go to the top of the hill, make first left [ DeRonda rd ] first place on right [ gray buildings ] is where you want to go, pole barn out back full of coal. 315 858 0384 but not always answered, they go to bed early, 8PM, hope this helps

Glenn
Thanks Glenn, that's all the detail I need since I'm very familiar with route 20. I probably go through Richfield Springs about twice a month. Watch out for the Troopers! That area is a well known speed trap.

Will

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 01, 2009 1:48 am

hulbert bros. in plattsburgh sells coal. kimmels bagged only, I was in there talking to them the other day but I don't remember the price.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 01, 2009 7:05 am

Berlin, I called them a few weeks ago and they said it was $260 per ton; an excellent price for our area.

What brought you out to Plattsburgh?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 01, 2009 1:29 pm

most of my family is up there; I went up for thanksgiving. my parents were having trouble w/ their oil burner and I needed parts so I stopped in to hulbert bros., I prefer aird dorrance (much better prices) but they don't stock as many parts as hulbert bros (combustion chambers, burner heads etc.)

syazz

Post by syazz » Tue. Dec. 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Hello- Oneida here, between Syracuse and Utica. First year burning coal- have a Leisue Line Hyfire II with coal trol and hot air jacket. I am loving this stove!
Everyone on this forum as well as Paul and Neil from Coal-Trol and Jerry and Karen from Leisure Line have been incredibly helpful. Hope I will be able to be of assistance to other "newbie's" as they come on. Bought my stove used out of Rochester, totally dismantled, cleaned, re-painted, new gaskets, a couple of other new parts, etc- works great! Currently running the convection fans plus 14 inch duct fan- bypassed old propane furnaces completely- so far working great. This year I'm using a power venter and bagged coal, but intend on building a chimney next spring and investigating the feasibility of joining forces with other NY coal burners to go in on a tractor trailer load of rice coal for next year if that turns out to make economic sense. Anyone with experience doing this bulk buying or interested in evaluating our options, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”