Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 12:49 pm

peru in clinton county, I wasn't aware there was another peru, ny

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Just wanted to know if you were from Onondaga too :)

Passed by your Peru many times on my way up the Northway. Used to make the trip to Montreal from Philly every other week.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 1:46 pm

gitrdonecoal wrote:John here, Elba, NY. Between Buffalo and Rochester 7 miles north of exit 48 of the thruway. Hotblast 1557. This is my second year burning coal and love the idea of not having to buy propane ever
Hi Neighbor!! How's things in Elba? Probably pretty much like in Byron. Don't you love this time of the year when the farmers mess up all the roads with mud/rocks & you have to ride through it a couple times a day? Oh well! It's worth it I guess - to live in the country I mean............

international86
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A-80
Other Heating: Oil hot air

Post by international86 » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello folks, my name's John. I'm from Otter Lake, about 40 miles north of Utica. I'm not a coal burner yet, but visited a friend who had a stoker furnace that really impressed me. I've been burning wood for years, but the idea of not having the work of stacking and hauling wood, cresote, etc. makes me smile. I'm away all day, so being able to fill the hopper and have it stoke itself especially interests me. I've been looking at the Keystoker line of warm air furnaces, and have nearly decided to buy one for next winter. In the meantime, I've got about 8 cords of wood to use up! Anybody from the Utica area, what's coal going for these days?

Tunapop

Post by Tunapop » Mon. Nov. 09, 2009 10:51 pm

First year burning nut/stove in a Locke 460-C Warm Morning in Germantown... nice heat. Alot less work than burning wood. It's going to take some time getting used to it, not having to fidgit with the fire all the time...yeah I'm gonna miss wood

chopper698

Post by chopper698 » Sun. Nov. 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Whats up from Williston Park NY. Been burning coal for 3 years in my Harman Mark II and its been fantastic. I burned wood
for 6 years and a co-wworker turned me on to coal and I never looked back since, although I do burn wood in oct-nov in my harman.

sootman

Post by sootman » Tue. Nov. 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi, I'm in VanHornesville, just north of Cooperstown, I heat a 150 year old 4000 sf old farm house with a EFM 520 highboy, and a Harman Magnum in the garage, use about 10 ton a year.

Glenn

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2009 7:21 pm

I live about an hour outside Buffalo... Been using a LL pioneer for 3 seasons now to heat about 1300' it replaced my woodburner which was great also but a whole other process as most of you know.. I still have a built in Quadra Fire Castille pellet insert I use occasionally to help with the outrageous propane prices here.... This is the place to come to for info great site :D ..

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Wed. Nov. 18, 2009 8:24 am

smith10210 wrote:I live about an hour outside Buffalo... Been using a LL pioneer for 3 seasons now to heat about 1300' it replaced my woodburner which was great also but a whole other process as most of you know.. I still have a built in Quadra Fire Castille pellet insert I use occasionally to help with the outrageous propane prices here.... This is the place to come to for info great site :D ..
an hour outside buffalo, where abouts?

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 5:26 pm

gitrdonecoal wrote:
smith10210 wrote:I live about an hour outside Buffalo... Been using a LL pioneer for 3 seasons now to heat about 1300' it replaced my woodburner which was great also but a whole other process as most of you know.. I still have a built in Quadra Fire Castille pellet insert I use occasionally to help with the outrageous propane prices here.... This is the place to come to for info great site :D ..
an hour outside buffalo, where abouts?
Outside Holland...

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 7:01 pm

ah holland. pretty country. been there a few times back when we farmed for cattle auctions. the amish make some mighty fine foods!

Ray

Post by Ray » Mon. Nov. 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi I'm from east arcade. I use an Harman Sf 160 coal boiler. 6 yrs burning wood and coal.

wefinish

Post by wefinish » Mon. Nov. 23, 2009 8:56 pm

West Eaton. Used Bushes' stimulus $ to buy an Alaska Channing III for last winter. (Nearly broke even with that in one heating season) Then with less than a months experience with coal found a nice little 1950's stove on Craigslist for the shop. This year the little lady wanted that old stove in the kitchen and I have to admit, it has been sooooo nice that it's okay that the shop is on the transplant waiting list again.

sootman

Post by sootman » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 4:45 pm

wlape3 wrote:Supposedly there is a coal dealer in the Cherry Valley area just off of route 20 where the price is right. I'm also told they are Amish and don't deliver although having lived in Amish country I know most will contract delivery out if the business is good enough. Don't know if that is closer to West Winfield than Madison. I pass through all of them on my way to visit my family in CNY so I would think I should :oops:

Will
Sam Miller was the local Amish coal suppler, he moved up here from Delaware a few years back but the winters up on the hill were to harsh for him so this summer he moved back south to Kentucky, a Menonite bought his place and is also selling coal but not as cheap as Sam did, I got a ton of rice on 11/ 23 / 09 and it was 250.00 a ton, I thought it would be cheaper this year because the price of diesel fuel for trucking is $2.00 a gal cheaper then last year

Glenn

wlape3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Other Heating: Propane

Post by wlape3 » Tue. Nov. 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Was that bulk rice or bagged? Another coal user in Duanesburg told me about Sam Miller but not exactly where he was located. I can understand why he moved back. Winters can be pretty nasty around here if you are not used to them. Weather in Delaware is much milder than upstate NY but Kentucky can get cold too. I worked in northern Delaware for a few years and winters were not as cold but the wind off the bay was as bad as it is in Buffalo coming off of Lake Erie. Brrrrr.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”