Post by bull463 » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi
Dryden NY here over 10 yrs burning
Bull463

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey bull,good to hear from you--you been here for a while ;) Happy Holidays to you and yours---I went through your little Berg on my way to Ithaca to have the eye Dr tell me I'm getting older & blinder :lol: What kind of stove set up do you have?? Whoops,I went back on your 2007 posts Keystoker :) Later

Thomas12980

Post by Thomas12980 » Sat. Dec. 18, 2010 8:01 am

Saint Regis Falls - fourth year burning coal in a pot bellied stove. Use it as a back up to a Monitor heater. Longest time burning five days in a row. Gets a little hairy trying to keep it going. Supplier for coal Aubuchon hardware in Malone. Blachak nut.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 18, 2010 8:16 am

good to hear from you Thomas--used to run a bunch of pulp wood up your way,if you're where I think you are :? have a Merry Christmas my friend :)

TIMMY3131

Post by TIMMY3131 » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 9:56 am

Hey Everyone, I'm from Lowville in Lewis county. I have a keystoker 120 and I seem to be using more coal his year than ever before, is anyone else noticing this as well?

33Canuck

Post by 33Canuck » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Thomas12980 wrote:Saint Regis Falls - fourth year burning coal in a pot bellied stove. Use it as a back up to a Monitor heater. Longest time burning five days in a row. Gets a little hairy trying to keep it going. Supplier for coal Aubuchon hardware in Malone. Blachak nut.
Hey Thomas, native Malonian here, grew up in Bellmont just north and east of Malone. I go to the Falls a few times a year to hang with friends you may know my buddy Brendan he builds rustic furniture on Trim Road. I didn't know they sold coal anywhere up there.

33Canuck

Post by 33Canuck » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 2:27 pm

TIMMY3131 wrote:Hey Everyone, I'm from Lowville in Lewis county. I have a keystoker 120 and I seem to be using more coal his year than ever before, is anyone else noticing this as well?
This is my first year running coal out of my Hitzer 50/93 but I def notice the difference when the temps and wind hit 20 or below. I have been runnning 75-90lbs per day keeping a 3 floor 3000+/-sf house toasty but still way cheaper than propane and way way better heat

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Mon. Jan. 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Martville,Ny here. Northern Cayuga County. This is my 3rd season heating with coal.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Welcome--yep,I'm useing more--Cortland County--81 corridor--it's been a strange winter so far. :)

PRengert
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by PRengert » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 8:07 am

Avon, NY here. Am on coal exclusively for 2 years now using a Keystoker KA-6 boiler. Heating old leaky 2500 foot farmhouse on about 6 tons/year. The house is quieter and more comfortable than it's ever been and saving almost 50% at the same time. What's not to like?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 26, 2011 8:55 am

Welcome to the FORUM PR--we gotta love these leaky old farm houses & the advantages of heating w/ coal $$$$ :lol:

Benchkey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Franco-Belge (1) Norge kitchen stove
Coal Size/Type: Franco-Belge Pea.... Norge ?

Post by Benchkey » Mon. Jul. 04, 2011 6:47 pm

HI ALL: I'm Brian, and we live in Hunt NY (Town of Portage), which is near the bottom of Letchworth State Park in Livingston County.

3 years ago I bought a Franco-Belge stove for the living room as I thought it was stunning in appearance. It was a terrible stove until I found that it needed a Barometric tee device. (Thanks to this forum). Once I put that into the exhaust, it became an absolutely wonderful stove. Just last week (June 2011) I bought a second Franco-Belge that is absolutely identical to the first. It will soon be hooked up in the kitchen. Being a gravity stove, it is absolutely quiet, and the automatic thermostat is a bonus.

I had an Alaska 'Kodiak' rice coal stoker. I found it noisy and inefficient. The new Franco-Belge replaces it. These Franco-Belge with the porcelain finish are getting hard to find. I searched for months before I found this one.

I also purchased a 1930's Norge kitchen stove with both a coal burner side and a propane side. I purchased it only 2 weeks ago so it us yet to be hooked up. However it is in nearly new condition as we removed it from an apartment in Rochester where it had been installed since new, but the owner lived elsewhere. The coal top is chrome or Nickel plated. Has one of those stylized top lights popular back then. Only missing the salt and pepper shakers.

We have been thinking of purchasing a Godin coal stove for heating the basement to be used on rare occasions, mostly when the outside temps drop below zero. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Wanted a stove that was smaller and lighter. than the Franco-Belge.

Essentially I want my home to be self sufficient in the winter, if the electric goes out, which it often does, we can still cook and heat. The house is nearly 3,000 sq ft, built in the early 1800's and still not overly tight despite my last few years of efforts at sealing it up.

My city friends think I'm nutz for using coal. We don't have natural gas. However when they visit during the winter, they all comment on the comfort of the heat throughout the house. As soon as the budget allows, I'll buy a 25 ton truckload of coal to ensure a long term supply. Have room in the basement for that. Any recommendations on which mine is closest for delivery?

OH: When I first moved here and decided to use coal, I bought two blue vinyl watering tanks, about 300 gallons and about 30" high by 8' across to store the coal. They each hold about 2.5 - 3 ton. Bought them through the local Agway dealer. They do not crack from abuse, even in the winter. They are going to be phased out of coal storage, but will go to other farm uses soon. If you are looking for an outdoor storage solution, they are very handy, Cost about $300 each as I recall. Other sizes and shapes are available. Agway also has a nice metal grain scoop that works great for coal, and is under $20. Very durable.

Any suggestions on an auger for bringing the pea coal up from the basement?

Any suggestions on a coal chute door to replace the old window in the basement stone wall?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jul. 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Welcome to the FORUM neighbor.No auger here, just an old hand fired guy. Hang tuff, it's a slow time of the year here. ;) Try plywood on hinges & paint er up pretty--are you a farmer or a fashion designer? :clap: toothy Just playing my friend--again--welcome

kozel

Post by kozel » Wed. Jul. 06, 2011 12:45 pm

You would be better served if you post this in a more appropriate forum. Not all members are going to read a state specific forum. Might I suggest the hand fired coal forum or the venting, plumbing, chimneys, control and coal bin forum.

raw79
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520 1955
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Elmira Stove Works Wood Stove , Crown Oil Boiler

Post by raw79 » Wed. Jul. 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello everyone Randy from Norwich, 40miles north of Binghamton. Just east of freetown fred :D First year burning coal.Started my EFM520 boiler 4 months ago today. Still making DHW should have done this 30 years ago. Thank you to all who post on the forum.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”