No Stove Allowed in Garage - Says Ins. Co.

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 5:08 pm

Just got what I believe is the final reply from my insurance company about a stove in my garage - NO - can't do it. They won't even discuss it. They say its against their underwriter's rules.

Seems to me that whoever makes these rules has no idea about how safe a properly installed coal unit is. If they are worried about an open flame with possible gasoline vapors etc. in the garage, then what's the difference with an oil or gas fired unit?

Good thing I checked before I bought the stoker stove I was looking at! Maybe the kerosene torpedo heater I have isn't allowed either!

Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation and if so, how did you handle it? I did think of contacting other companies but I would have to change the auto policies too.

Thanks

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 5:20 pm

That just goes to show you how foolish these insurance companies are. Mine don't mind one in the garage but it's a no-go in the house. Go figure.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Build a parition around around the stove, add a door, and call it a Utility Room, not garage. Don't even mention 'garage' to the insurance comp. :idea:

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Maybe if you phrased is differently? heating appliance? or certified heating applience? or boiler or such. they are as stupid as thier manager allows them to be. My good friend worked for bankers ins for many years. when the time came for a client to ask them about ins for a large sail boat, the boss came up to John and said, " hey John, you have a big sail boat , whats the deal.....

Thus John became the expert for all the larger sailing vessel's the co insured.

maybe your agent is putting his 2 cents into the equation? ask who the underwriter is and question thier motives. :?:

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 5:28 pm

DVC500 at last wrote:Build a parition around around the stove, add a door, and call it a Utility Room, not garage. Don't even mention 'garage' to the insurance comp. :idea:
yeah or boiler room or service utility room.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 5:57 pm

I understand the frustration but keep in mind if something happens and it's even remotely related to the boiler... You can bet they are going to refuse to pay the bill.

One other thing to note and probably more important than the ins. company is this is probably against the building code. I know that in least one other thread it was mentioned.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 6:02 pm

HMmm yeah I guess the building code is one of the final answers there... 8-)

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 7:20 pm

I didn't even get to the building code part since I was shot down right away by the ins. Co. I think I'll check this out anyway.

The utility room/boiler room ideas are good as is re-phrasing the term "Coal Stove" or "Stoker".

Just wish there was a reasonable person with a little common sense you could talk to at these companies.

Thanks for the replies.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 7:28 pm

stokerstove wrote:
Just wish there was a reasonable person with a little common sense you could talk to at these companies.
If you find that one in a million, please give out her/his name. I'm sure they'd find quite a few willing partners.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 7:36 pm

stokerstove wrote:I didn't even get to the building code part since I was shot down right away by the ins. Co. I think I'll check this out anyway.

The utility room/boiler room ideas are good as is re-phrasing the term "Coal Stove" or "Stoker".

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, ask your building inspector first: Make your suggestions and show him a scaled drawing, as to where you WANT to install it, and ask him what it would take to "Make it so". He should be more than happy to review your floor plan, and make suggestions that the insurance company should agree with.
Also, an architect could draw this up to code for you too.
And, you can always get a different insurance company :D
Still many options you could pursue...

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Mon. Sep. 14, 2009 11:37 pm

As I understand the interpretation of the building codes, a concrete lip (height unknown off hand) is to separate a garage floor from a flaming heating source. The reason, I'm told, is because explosive gas fumes travel low along a floor. It may have something to do with temp differences between a colder floor and the atmosphere above it. As most heating appliances like stoves and furnaces draw combustion air from the lower part of the unit it seems to make sense. Obviously direct vent units use outside air so it appears building codes and insurance companies sometimes defy logic. Just some fuel for thought.

Snuffy

P.S. I'm not a code enforcement officer or a chemical engineer, just passing along info gleened from experienced folks I've met along the way.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Sep. 15, 2009 6:13 am

In a commercial setting, an L & I inspector will measure that the firepot of the stoker is 18" off the floor in a garage setting, for fumes, as mentioned above. Never mind the fact that the air intake is about 8" off the floor.

mazz

Post by mazz » Tue. Sep. 15, 2009 7:55 pm

i just bought my childhood home from my parents and we had a coal furnace my whole life when I went buy it from no insurance company would write me a policy and thats without them even looking at it.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Sep. 15, 2009 8:24 pm

mazz wrote:i just bought my childhood home from my parents and we had a coal furnace my whole life when I went buy it from no insurance company would write me a policy and thats without them even looking at it.
What ins comp did your parents use? Can you use the same one?

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Sun. Sep. 20, 2009 8:20 pm

If your in P.A. I got erie insurance company for my home owners. My insurace agent even burns a coal stove to heat his house. No problems what so ever. They do cars, life insurance etc. Look em up and give them a try.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”