Anyone Ever Mine Their Own Coal?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 8:08 am

coal berner wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:Mahanoy is where Blashack Coal is based, good coal is probably right around the corner for your new house. :)
Or under it :lol:
Jay brought up an interesting point in another thread. If you live in Anthracite country, and theres coal UNDER your property, has anyone ever mined their own? The veins do come to the surface, but has all that property been bought up by the coal companies, or is there any residence properties over the fields?

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 8:40 am

when you buy a house in the coal region I think there is paper work about the coal rights.basicly just cause you own the house and property you don't own the coal under your property.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 9:39 am

That's for sure. I keep waiting for JC to start digging in his backyard. :shock:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 4:41 pm

New Hope Engineer wrote:when you buy a house in the coal region I think there is paper work about the coal rights.basicly just cause you own the house and property you don't own the coal under your property.
with any property that you buy you would or will need to buy the mineral rights if you want to do any mining
and you must follow all of the rules and regs that go along with mining plus all the taxes that go along with mining
not that easy what you would be doing is just like the mining Co do you would need to be certified and follow
all of the Fed and State rules & regs MSHA & Dep .

kjb197

Post by kjb197 » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 6:47 am

My home inspector said not long before ours he inspected a house where the man was mining coal out of his basement. It worked for him for decades but caused foundation issues for his and his neighbor's house.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 10:05 am

The basement thing is hard. Now, as far as the perpetual landscape project in the back 40........ :D

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 10:47 am

Yeah, I really didn't expect any homeowners would be "Deep Mining" through their basement. But out in the Back 40, using a roto-tiller or plow for the garden, can you actually pick enough to supply your needs for the winter?

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 10:55 am

DVC500 at last wrote:Yeah, I really didn't expect any homeowners would be "Deep Mining" through their basement. But out in the Back 40, using a roto-tiller or plow for the garden, can you actually pick enough to supply your needs for the winter?
i can see it now. "mark what are you doin with all that powder and fuse" :out: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 10:37 pm

My farm was mined when I was a kid. My dad and grandad stip mined it. ( open pit ) for bituminous coal. I built my house up here in 2001 and I can actualy take my backhoe out to the corner of the field and dig my own coal. I am saving this for a rainy day however... :D

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Oh how MINT that would be to mine right in my own yard! :drool: Before anyone had a clue, I'd have 200 tons mined & stockpiled in a secret location! :dancing: :drunk:

Then, I'd stand guard day & night, ensuring my survival. :rambo: :D

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Aug. 29, 2009 1:27 am

DVC500 at last wrote:Yeah, I really didn't expect any homeowners would be "Deep Mining" through their basement. But out in the Back 40, using a roto-tiller or plow for the garden, can you actually pick enough to supply your needs for the winter?
The problem with that is most of the back 40 where the coal is Was or is owned by a mining company . Was meaning most of the coal has been mined already. Is meaning there mining it now . And if you do have coal on your land In order to mine it you still have to follow all of the Rules & Reg Permits taxes that MSHA & DEP have on the books. You also will have to have the Knowledge to do it .

blau barrick

Post by blau barrick » Thu. Sep. 17, 2009 9:22 pm

I knew of an old couple outside of Tamaqua who had a small mine out in back. Willi used to come home from work and break up a couple of buckets full so the wife could cook supper! But that was back in the late 40's & 50's.

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 9:57 pm

mine your own coal, the thought never crossed my mind......... ;)

anyways, basement mines..... ya mean like this?

just when you think youve seen it all you get a phone call to check this out!

This is the house in the northern field, I hope all these people get mine sub insurance.

"Door" in house foundation into bootleg workings of an old chamber.

Short tunnel that drops down into the chamber

One of the dunmore veins

One of the boreholes that was just drilled last week in the back yard that will be used to fill the chamber with concrete.

Boreholes that will be used to fill the chamber.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Chris Murley wrote:mine your own coal, the thought never crossed my mind......... ;)
anyways, basement mines..... ya mean like this?
just when you think youve seen it all you get a phone call to check this out!
Anyone ask the guy if it was worth it? I guess he had a strong back :D

kjb197

Post by kjb197 » Fri. Oct. 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Unbelievable pics, whats the story behind them?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”