Want to Use Coal for Landscaping, Instead of Tanbark/Mulch.

Jason B

Post by Jason B » Sun. Jun. 30, 2019 6:56 am

snuffy wrote:
Mon. May. 07, 2018 7:25 pm
Cautionary note: Sulfur in the coal may etch orange coloring on concrete and nearby rock when exposed to rain and moisture over time. I'm considering the same idea as I need to slope a drainage area away from the foundation and it also will allow backup storage of nut coal if the market gets tight.
Did you ever do it??

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sun. Jul. 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Still on the wish list waiting for dryer weather so I can dump about 5 tons of fine packed gravel with minimal effort.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Aug. 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Old thread...

...new/old solution...

...Walnuts...

Pick them up green, throw them in a pile until they turn brown. Pick them up again and put them in a bucket of water to "steep". I warn you...where rubber gloves or you'll regret it.

Wife can use it to dye her hair too. No kidding! My grandma used to to do it. Again, use caution because it has to wear off.

Walnuts are free...water is plentiful...so is time. Use them all wisely.

PSURUSH

Post by PSURUSH » Thu. May. 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Jason B wrote:
Wed. May. 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Old bump :) Did black mulch 2 years ago and still looks decent. I saw some black riverock the other day, but that stuff is a fortune. The next time I need mulch would still like to find a nice deep black rock that would work.
Hi Jason. I read through this thread but couldn't determine if you ever actually tried the coal as mulch. Perhaps I missed you saying so. In any case, did you try it? If so, what size did you use and were you satisfied with it?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”