EMERGENCY HELP REQUEST!!! Can I Do This TODAY???

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
Gary in Pennsylvania

Post Sat. Nov. 11, 2006 8:59 am

OK - Here's the low-down.....

We have a birthday party at our house today for my 7yr old daughter and my 3yr old son. It's JUST family members & such....Not all their kid friends. Either way, we're looking at 25 people DOWNSTAIRS in our splitlevel home.........and that's where the firemonster Harman insert is.

IT'S TOO WARM! Even if I open all the windows & sliding glass door. The heat jacket fan is blowin' it's fury. I have the box's draft cut V-E-R-Y low and the magnetic fan is redaing under 250 degrees ( The fire is just barely hanging on ).

Can I safely cut the fan off since the temps are so low? I want to. Just for daytime today.

Whaddaya think???
Gary in Pennsylvania
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they are yours (Richard Bach)

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent - ER

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Sat. Nov. 11, 2006 9:39 am

Which fan?

I would reduce the feed rate as far as possible and if you have a rehostat, turn it down to minimal settings.

Or just unplug it for a while until it almost goes out and have to restart it later maybe it will cool down enough for a while or leave it unplugged. Of course, you will have to start it again.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post Mon. Nov. 13, 2006 7:15 am

Whulp.....I did it anyway.

Sorry I’m responding soooo long after the fact...the weekend was BUSY!

And I forgot to mention that I'm operating a hand-fired Harman insert. User manual emphasizes the important role the fan blower plays in regulating box "safe temperatures". An insert relies much less on 'radiant heat' than does a stand alone unit.

I cut the draft down till she was idling at 225-250ish and cut the fan off. No harm done. And it wasn't crazy hot down there either.

Thanks!
Gary in Pennsylvania
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they are yours (Richard Bach)

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent - ER

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”