Looking to Fire It up but...

davemich

Post by davemich » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 6:44 am

...its too warm! I have 2.5 tons waiting for my stove and so far this season its just been to warm. It may have been cold enough for about a 2 day burn but this blasted insert makes it so warm in my place unless the average high temp is in the upper 30's. So I wait and listen to everyone else with their controllable stokers and only wish I had one!!! Maybe next year...

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 8:36 am

Well, just shut it down again!! LOL. can't you put a few firebrick over the front of the firebox and reduce it's area?? This should give you less heat, but retain your hopper-feed right??

I've shut my boiler down for the next few days, I can't see keeping all that water hot just to pull a few BTUs out of it only a couple times in a day.

I've got to burn down the propane tank anyway, and get that monster out of the yard!! Can't wait to see a little tank out there instead of that huge one that looks like a ballistic submarine on blocks !!

Raining and 50* right now. I'm off to the polls to vote.

Greg L

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 8:36 am

Duplicate post, jittery mouse button, must be too much coffee. LOL

Greg L

davemich

Post by davemich » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 8:58 am

I guess I could Greg but I think I'll just wait. Just got my gas bill and it was $60 and change. I've been using gas for heat and hot water last month and that was in fairly moderate temps. Can't imagine what that would be in January! Wifey's got the temp cranked because of the new addition to the family. As soon as the insert gets going, he'll be as warm as his ineutero (sp?) days!! Greg, hopefully the jitters are gone b4 you enter the cockpit!!

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 9:30 am

Dave--

I have similar problems. The temps raise into to 50's and even 60's off an on lately. I did reduce my firebox. I have it reduced in the rear of the box and a smaller 4" x 15" temporary reducer in the front. I am utilizing a box which measures 15" wide x 12" deep right now. I can create 150F-200F and maintain about an 8hr burn. Once the temps remain in the 30's, I can remove the small temperory reducer and add time & heat to the burn. But I do find myself building new coal fires a few x a week right now. It can be a hassle. If only my 15yr older could be more aware and pay attention to the weather forcast and or the burn when he gets home from school....sure!

davemich

Post by davemich » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 9:48 am

Cap, when they finally figure that out...they will be in their own home and changing your diapers!!! My wife apparently thinks that gas is free and that layering clothing is a lost art similar to the hoola hoop. Its a war at the thermostat. I have a 1 month old and understand the need to keep him warm but after removing 352 blankets just to get a glimpse of the guy, ya think she would understand the concept of layering!!!

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi All,

I let my Hitzer burn out last night. 55 degrees right now and supposed to be into the 60's tomorrow. Well into the 50's the rest of the week. I'll have to use some oil to heat the house but the boiler has to run to heat my hot water tank anyway. Hopefully we won't use too much!

Mark

ericcjack

Post by ericcjack » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Just installed the ol' Magnum Stoker on Friday afternoon.

I've been dyin' all Fall to fire it up, so I did. well......of course it is in the high 50's with a forecast of 60's the rest of the week. the blasted thing keeps going out. Can you blame it?!?! LOL!

I think i'm gonna just burn a little propane for awhile to keep the chill off! :evil:

~E~

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”