Removing Paint From Radiators.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:50 pm

If there is a Harbor Freight near you, pick up a cheap sandblaster. If you don't have a compressor, borrow or rent one. What about Paint stripper? Bix? the orange smelling stuff. I would not use fire or flame, there are gaskets on some types in between the sections. Also beware of lead paint if you go sanding or wirebrushing. Mine here where painted, only one coat though, so I scraped off most of it and then painted with silver paint, real watery stuff, very old quart of paint so I can't say what name.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:50 pm

stokerscot wrote:So after the paint comes off what is the preferred replacement. Aluminum Paint. Hi temp. Primer. Phos etch and then,,,,,, :) Scott
In terms of radiating efficiency metallic paint is worst. Any color is ok , the rougher the paint surface the better. Satin will radiate better than gloss.

Richard

ErikLaurence

Post by ErikLaurence » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:56 pm

stokerscot wrote:So after the paint comes off what is the preferred replacement. Aluminum Paint. Hi temp. Primer. Phos etch and then,,,,,, :) Scott
Could you powder coat them?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 8:33 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:Breathing vaporized lead makes you stupid pretty fast.
It can make you dead pretty fast. A local guy did that a few years ago while casting lead balls for his muzzle loader. Only had to do it once -- still dead.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Dark colors radiate best black, forest green...
Powdercoat could work if it flexes well...

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. Mar. 26, 2009 12:45 pm

8-) Very close - C-100 8 Speed - in progress

I have B-100 8 speed and a 417-8 mowers,blowers,and front plow. http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/splash.html

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Mar. 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Poconoeagle wrote:8-) Very close - C-100 8 Speed - in progress

I have B-100 8 speed and a 417-8 mowers,blowers,and front plow. http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/splash.html
Kewl video. I liked the one with duellys. The ones with legs weren't half bad, either :D :D :D

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. Mar. 26, 2009 1:13 pm

:D The high HP custom pullin ones are the coolest. you know us rube goldberg graduates.... :lol:

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 12:52 am

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for the proper paint to paint my "new to me" cast iron radiators with? I found a local guy that sand blasts them for $10.00 each. I plan on painting one with Rutland black stove paint. That said I have another large one that I would like to match my latex red wall. Can oil based paint work on radiators or will it just crack off? A friend of mine suggested auto motive paint.

Thanks,
Glenn

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 6:40 am

Rustoleum makes a high temp paint--I'd look & see if I could match anything close there. I used it on my Chev. trucks oil pan & it's worked well.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 8:26 am

grobinson2 wrote:I know this is an old thread but I am looking for the proper paint to paint my "new to me" cast iron radiators with? I found a local guy that sand blasts them for $10.00 each. I plan on painting one with Rutland black stove paint. That said I have another large one that I would like to match my latex red wall. Can oil based paint work on radiators or will it just crack off? A friend of mine suggested auto motive paint.

Thanks,
Glenn
Cast iron "Radiators" actually use convection as there primary heat transfer medium. Surface texture/finish will have little effect on the radiation as long as the paint isn't so thick that it insulates the metal.

What are you planning to run your system at? If it is a steam system you may need a paint that can handle up to around 220-230 deg F. If you are running hot water, then 180 is the norm. Rarely should you need more than 180 deg. water to CI radiators.

Go to a paint store like Sherwin Williams and ask what they would recommend. The people at the big box stores are not versed in special applications. Spend a few extra bucks on a gallon of quality paint.

Sometimes latex paint can be more flexible that oil based paints. This is important on a radiator that constantly expands and contracts from heating and cooling.

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 8:38 am

Thank you for the responce guys. Not to be rude, but I have personaly seen what happens when you use latex on cast iron... That won't be happening here. I think I am going to go the auto paint rout as I can not find the color I need in hi temp paint.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 11:07 am

Try Absolute Powder Coating in St Marys Pa They can blast and powder coat and do top quality work.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 11:23 am

I would love to get them powder coated but every one I have spoken too, (both here and in the UK) have said to never powder coat a cast iron radiator that is not brand new and still in sections. As far as blasting my local Amishmen's price of $10.00 is hard to beat.
Glenn

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 12:01 pm

grobinson2 wrote:Thank you for the responce guys. Not to be rude, but I have personaly seen what happens when you use latex on cast iron... That won't be happening here. I think I am going to go the auto paint rout as I can not find the color I need in hi temp paint.

Thanks again,
Glenn
No problem on latex in your own opinion. IMHO high temp paint is not needed. FYI, commerical latex paint formulations have come a long way and sometimes are prefered over oil now. I am not talking cheap homeowners crap. I've made that mistake myself too many times.

The really good oil based stuff is not available to non-professionals, at least in New York.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”