Removing Paint From Radiators.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Mar. 22, 2009 11:04 pm

So,,,, I came by a bunch of radiators. I wanted to refinish then. they have about a zillion coats of paint on them. I'm looking for a cheaper way to get the paint off. I got a price to have them sand blasted. :shock: Way too much. I did some for my house along time ago and used a wire wheel on a grinder Wasn't real fast and made a mess out of everything. Anybody have any ideas?? :) Scott

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Sun. Mar. 22, 2009 11:21 pm

Get a second quote for sandblasting

Nothing nicer for the base of the new finish and hi efficiency radiation. 8-)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Mar. 22, 2009 11:40 pm

stokerscot wrote: I did some for my house along time ago and used a wire wheel on a grinder Wasn't real fast and made a mess out of everything. Anybody have any ideas?? :) Scott
ahh young grass-a-hopper you need a real tool.

http://www.metabo.us/Product-catalog-handheld-pow ... 7c3.0.html

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sun. Mar. 22, 2009 11:43 pm

I've never tried it, but how about taking them outside and burning the paint off with a large propane torch, the kind used for torching down rubber roofing. I've taken paint off wood with heat guns.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 4:50 am

I'd guess that heat will be the least expensive way. Torch 'em! (torch the one you like the least first, just in case)

billw

Post by billw » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 7:25 am

If you're going to use them in your living space I'd reconsider sandblasting. I cleaned three radiators last summer with a grinder, wire wheels and sandpaper. They come out OK but you can't beat the finish you get from blasting.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 7:58 am

Sandblasting is the only way to go with those rads.If you are going to resell them you can roll it into the asking price.If you are going to put them back in service for yourself you can spread the cost over the endless life of the rads. You have to consider that no other process will give you that sharp new look.You could always get yourself a sandblaster and put the dollars in your own pocket. One last thing.....Before you go to the work make sure you test them for leakage and/or freezing splits!!! Don't ask me how I know about that, Just my $.02. Regards, Mike

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 8:04 am

Just mount them in the exhaust stream of the 'Stoker Scott Ciggy boat' and take a high speed run up and down the Hudson!
PS: There is no easy or cheap way out. Sand Blasting is the most complete and provides the best base for refinishing. Restoration isn't ever easy or inexpensive. :poke: :poke: :box: :box: :annoyed:

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 9:31 am

There isn't some lind of tank or stripper crap that would work just as easily? There aren't alot of sandblasters around here to get a quote from and the price was just way to high.:) Scott

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 9:37 am

I wonder if I had one of the infamous stoker bonfires that anyboby would care if there was a pile of radiators in the middle. Maybe I could get a better sandblasting price if they had a little ash on them. :) Scott

ErikLaurence

Post by ErikLaurence » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 10:05 am

Stripping chemicals ain't cheap if you need to fill a tank big enough to take a radiator. You need 8 gallons of stripper for each cubic foot of tank (less the displacement of the radiator). Say you have a tank 3ftx3ftx1ft, that's 9 cubic feet. Say they radiator takes up 4.5 of those. You'll need 4.5 cubic feet of stripper. That's 36 gallons of paint stripper. Say in quantity it's $20/gallon...

Also depending how big and heavy your radiators are getting them in the tank may be a challenge.

Then you have a giant icky mess to deal with.

Just how expensive was the media blaster?

hophead

Post by hophead » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 10:09 am

Multiple coats of paint can can really reduce the effectiveness too. Any have an idea for in place radiation?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 10:18 am

Can you rent the equipment to media blast? Baking soda, walnut or glass bead.
Buy the equipment and then do side jobs to pay for it if there are not enough people offering the service it should be profitable to do so.

CoalBin
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500
Other Heating: Wood Stove & Oil

Post by CoalBin » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 10:39 am

If you are looking to DIY - take a look at Electrolytic Rust Removal. Works great on rust - but what I found is that hands down, it takes paint off better than any other method I've ever tried. The paint literally sheets off - what ever is left comes off easily with a power washer. With a radiator you will need a bin that covers at least half of it at a time - then flip it to do the other half. (or build a larger tank) I do my tractor hoods and convector covers like this. I've tried grinders, wire wheels & chemicals & have a hefty compressor / blast cabinet combo - but if it fits in the bin - thats where it always goes. Basically fill bin with water, put some washing soda in it, immerse item, connect it up to a battery charger or other power source & walk away.

After its done, you can get a gallon of Phos Etch metal prep from Home Depot & apply with a spray bottle to prevent flash rust form forming.

Attachments

P1000861.jpg
.JPG | 88.2KB | P1000861.jpg

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 11:20 am

CoalBin wrote:If you are looking to DIY - take a look at Electrolytic Rust Removal. Works great on rust - but what I found is that hands down, it takes paint off better than any other method I've ever tried. The paint literally sheets off - what ever is left comes off easily with a power washer. With a radiator you will need a bin that covers at least half of it at a time - then flip it to do the other half. (or build a larger tank) I do my tractor hoods and convector covers like this. I've tried grinders, wire wheels & chemicals & have a hefty compressor / blast cabinet combo - but if it fits in the bin - thats where it always goes. Basically fill bin with water, put some washing soda in it, immerse item, connect it up to a battery charger or other power source & walk away.

After its done, you can get a gallon of Phos Etch metal prep from Home Depot & apply with a spray bottle to prevent flash rust form forming.
ok il'l bite its a B-100 hood circa 1976??? another wheel nut :D

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”