Ash pan dumping

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 9:08 pm

I use a small metal bucket from Lowes to dump my ash in. When I ran my G109 the ash pan would fit perfectly inside the metal can so dumping ash was fairly clean and easy. My C40 ash pan is huge and doesn't fit in the metal can. Dumping ash is a messy project with the larger ash pan. I either have to scoop out the ash with a shovel and dump it in the can or use the lid to funnel the ash into the can when dumping the pan. The lid trick isn't all that clean. Just curious how others dump ash and what they use? I was thinking about getting an oval metal tub, but would need a lid on it and I'm yet to find one with a lid.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Not sure what you mean by "a small metal bucket" but I use a 10 gallon galvanized trash can for mine from Tractor Supply. It has a raised metal bottom so it's not against my deck or the ground to cause any problems. The 10 gallon one full of ash isn't too heavy to carry around and it can also be had in a 20 gallon size but that might be a little awkward to tote when it's full, they come with lids.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 10:01 pm

I use a small 5 gallon metal can that I picked up at lowes. I usually transfer it to a small garbage bag once the can is full and put that in with the trash. How do you dispose of 10 gallons of ash?

Attachments

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 10:12 pm

I use it for backfill on my farm or fill holes in the yard in but if you need to dispose of 5 gallon at a time just empty more often.
trash can.jpeg
.JPEG | 30KB | trash can.jpeg

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 9:17 am

On my KA-6, which is located in my woodshop, it came with 2 metal tubs, about the size of bushel baskets. When full, after 2 - 3 days in winter, I pull out the full one & install an empty one. I let the full one sit over night to cool down. The next day, I turn on my shop sawdust collector vac and put a hose along side the fill tub. The keeps any dust made during the transfer from the full tub to the empty bag in check. I then scoop the ash out of the tub & put it in the empty coal bags. They are then taken to the dump, once every 2 weeks. Takes about 4 mins. to do this 2 - 3 times /week in the winter, once every 8 - 9 days in the summer. She runs year around!

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 10:10 am

0CDD0286-AFC4-4A0E-8756-BB1AAE2E01D0.MOV

Best method I’ve found so far

.MOV | 14.2MB | 0CDD0286-AFC4-4A0E-8756-BB1AAE2E01D0.MOV

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 11:13 am

I planned on buying the same 10 gallon metal can from tsc, then saw a 20 gallon for 3 dollars more. I figured you can’t beat that. My ash pan fits in the can nicely. I’ll just transfer the ash to the garbage more often. Thanks for the tips!
Last edited by tcalo on Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 9:16 am

I tried the steel garbage can but no matter how I did it, there was always some dust blowing back up at me. Then tried covering the cooled-down pan by putting it inside tough trash bags before tipping it. Still dust cloud when I took out the pan.

Gave up and decided that 250 feet, plus parking space for 6 cars, worth of gravel driveway gives a lot of space to dump ash. Now just need to check wind direction and head upwind as I pour out the pan.

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 9:51 am

I'm with you sunny. A 20 gall bin and I am trying to make a road through the horrible clay we have to the back of the property. Progress is slow and big rain storms wash some of it out. I can load it up on the passengers side of the little golf cart and move it out there. All I need is another 1000 garbage bins full and I will have a road of sorts. I even use the Bombardier to pack it down some. This summer was not kind to my road but I hope for better weather in the future.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 10:00 am

Gave up and decided that 250 feet, plus parking space for 6 cars, worth of gravel driveway gives a lot of space to dump ash. Now just need to check wind direction and head upwind as I pour out the pan.

Paul
Same here. Before I do my evening shakedown I take my ash pan outside and just dump it somewhere on my long gravel driveway. Since I hadn't shaken the stove since morning the ashes are cool. Yah stand upwind before dumping; too bad my dog hasn't figured that out yet. :roll:

jedneck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM Antramax
Baseburners & Antiques: Florin 20-12, red cross oak double heater, 3 columbians a epoch, emblem and palace
Coal Size/Type: nut or stove
Other Heating: Southbend Banner range

Post by jedneck » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 7:31 pm

I empty ash pan on driveway. Take it out before shake down n leave stove open to wake up in am. Replace ashpan n go feed animals. Range hot enuf to cook breakfast on when come back in

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 10:33 pm

This winter im building a pile close to the back door my ash pan has 2 handles so i just carry it out and dump it.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Dec. 19, 2018 3:40 pm

I rotate 2 ash pans. When one is full I pull it out and put in an empty. When the first one is cool, I put a 30 gallon contractor bag over it and carry it outside and turn it upside down then lift the ash pan out. Twist the bag shut and then they go in with the trash. I'm pretty sure dust from coal ash was one of the major things that caused my respiratory problems 2 years ago. This method causes very little dust.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Wed. Dec. 19, 2018 4:00 pm

coalkirk wrote:
Wed. Dec. 19, 2018 3:40 pm
I rotate 2 ash pans. When one is full I pull it out and put in an empty. When the first one is cool, I put a 30 gallon contractor bag over it and carry it outside and turn it upside down then lift the ash pan out. Twist the bag shut and then they go in with the trash. I'm pretty sure dust from coal ash was one of the major things that caused my respiratory problems 2 years ago. This method causes very little dust.
Zackly how I do it, well sorta. I keep a 10 gal galvanized garbage can like the one from TSC at the NE corner of the garage just outside the man-door. The wind/breeze blows around the corner 95% of the time carrying the dust around the corner. I just take a gulp of air, hold it, scoot out the door, dump into the can, and duck back inside closing the door behind me.
When the can is full it'll sit for a day then I put on a N95 dust mask. I put a garbage bag over top until the bottom of the bag is flush with the top of the can. I upend the combination on the lawn so not to pierce the bag and pull the upended can out slowly. Tie it shut and in the trash it goes.

After nearly 19 seasons my first can is nearly rusted through. 5 years ago I bought a new one. Before using it the first time I sprayed the inside with a can of "liquid duct tape" someone gave me. There's not a spot of rust in that can.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”