re-opening surface mine

Blaschak Coal
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Blaschak Coal » Mon. Sep. 24, 2018 12:36 pm

hophead, That's the beauty or at least should be the beauty of living in the USA. Everybody should have a right to their own opinion. Blaschak might be considered a big company in the US anthracite industry but keep in mind how small the US anthracite industry is and as far as size of companies go in PA we are considered a small business. I do agree with you that their should be more dollars available for small business. I do respect your opinion so hopefully you don't think the responses are argumentative.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Sep. 24, 2018 1:41 pm

The moral question is not whether a company should accept grants; they should. The morality or justification of the grant itself is what should be questioned.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Sep. 24, 2018 7:25 pm

I can't believe Sam didn't jump in with some rant about Corporate welfare etc. I agree with HH that we should not be spending taxpayers money like this. If there is a profit to be made, the private sector will respond. AND I agree with Blaschak and commend them for very cordial posts, if it is going to go to someone, it might as well be me....nuff said. Change the system, don't blame the fortunate ones that get a grant.

Kevin

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Sep. 26, 2018 7:26 am

As a farmer I get grants and I am very thankful for them. Without them my farm would be replete with soil, water and wind erosion. The grants enable me to do the right thing, which all began in the 1970's when the originally plan was to force environmental laws on farmers that we could not afford. Now, with a 75% government, and 25% my cost grant split, doing the right thing environmentally is feasible.

Stream filled will sheep manure affluent anyone?
Coal waste or overburden in local streams?

Blackchak, I am glad you got the grant and can put it to good use.

My rub: that every dollar I have ever taken is listed online and available for all to see. That is okay, I take hard earned taxpayer money and those taxpayers have a right to know what I have taken (19th in this town BTW). My rub comes in...where is the list for welfare recipients in my town?

I am betting the recipient list and amounts would scare people. Still why am I singled out? At least I feed this great nation.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Wed. Sep. 26, 2018 8:19 am

Historically the government has provided aid to oil and railroads and canals systems The free market is not quite so free , we are a interdependent economy . It began before the civil war. FDR provided the incentive to bring electric into areas where it was not profitable for the private sectors it is known as the Rural Electrication Administration and in some areas you can see the intitials still on the electric poles.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Wed. Sep. 26, 2018 2:42 pm

The Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program has funds available for many things. ( Historical preservation projects are my favorite). I worked for a coal company years ago in Western PA where seams are 40" and would like to see mammoth vein. Wish Blaschak Coal good luck and be safe.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Oct. 02, 2018 4:43 pm

I think grant money is OK as seed money with the grantee having

to put much more skin in the game to be on the hook for a larger

part of the project. When most of the money is wasted on pie in

sky projects then we should clamp down .

A project like a coal mine for anthracite coal seems worthwhile

for a small company who would have a hard time raising the

capital to go ahead with it. A large part of their product is used in the

local area for the benefit of community , mostly for home heating and

industrial uses.

BigBarney

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Tue. Jan. 14, 2020 2:49 pm

hophead wrote:
Sat. Sep. 22, 2018 8:17 am
Drives me crazy when a company the size of Blaschak gets a """ GRANT """. It's not a Grant, it's MY MONEY and YOUR MONEY!! They can well afford to use their OWN MONEY for this. Sorry but this grant word really strikes a nerve. Wish they'd call it what it is.
Would you feel better if the money went to wind, solar, or some big battery project that just harvests government money and produces thimblefuls of intermittent energy?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Jan. 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Old thread Joe, but a +1. Funny BB weighed in an you followed up with a skewering of his pet gov money funds recipients. LOL!

Kevin

joethemechanic

Post by joethemechanic » Tue. Jan. 14, 2020 5:20 pm

I read the other day that Elon Musk was going to revolutionize the mining industry by developing electric powered mining equipment. I guess he skipped over the part in Mike Mulligan when Maryanne the steam shovel cried because she was being replaced by diesel and electric shovels. Poor Maryanne, I felt so bad for her :cry:

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Glad to keep money in Pennsylvania. Gotta keep these mines open. Sucks their arent many deep mines left if any but at least the coal is still in production! I've seen the mammoth vein down in the pioneer coal tunnel. Pretty awesome to see!!

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 10:11 pm

It will be hard for any coal to energy plant to exist with their costs

at $0.05 per KWHr when there is other power available for $0.02

or less. The plants here will be utilized to the end of their life but

not replaced when they get too costly to operate , and they are not

conducive to intermittent operation.

BigBarney

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 6:53 am

Germany found out the hard way there is no getting around coal for power. They bragged up how they were going to go to all green power, and then they tried it.

That did not last long.

I see they just started up a brand new coal powered plant to make electricity now.

The problem is not that coal is bad, the problem is the coal fired power plants are of poor design for what people want today (emissions). With new, better power plants, coal can work quite well. GE Power Systems never stopped designing better systems even though few are being built in this country, and that is both coal and nuclear powered plants.

American's have just got it too good. We are tapping into existing coal and nuclear power plants, then adding wind and solar and saying, "see, we can do it", but what happens when the old reliable powerplants are gone?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 8:33 am

We will be like The DR...
Rolling scheduled blackouts...
The 'rents worked there for 2 years...
The kids they taught were the diplomat, military and wealthy...
That wanted to get their kids into US college...
The 'rents were advised to get a 6- pack...
No not of beer...
It was a whole house UPS...
Much like a power wall from Elon...
No solar panels just charged up while utility power was up...
Usually 8-12 hours...
The security guards were similar...
Just about every residence had a "Security Guard"...
They were all "Armed"...
AK, Pump shot gun and pistol...
About 3 in 10 had ammunition for said Arms...
Let us not lower our standards just to be "Green"...

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 8:51 am

I am not sure the Greenies can do math well...

1 nuclear power plant produces around 1100 megawatts, and takes up about 100 acres...

I can look out across the valley and see 3 windmills that are 1 MW and turn about 1/3 the time.

That means it would take 3300 wind mills to put out what that one nuclear power plant produces. It also takes up 100 acres and not 3300 acres. It also has a 40 year life, most likely 50 years, and not 20 years like a windmill.

I might be as dumb as a rock, but I know enough about math so I do not worship rocks like the greenies do.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”