Woohoo 27 Hr Burn!!!

BeerMonley
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Lesiure Line
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by BeerMonley » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 6:46 pm

and not even close to goin out. we went away yesterday morn and just got back and shes still burnin good. I loaded it up real good and had the ashdoor vent 1/4 open.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Wow, I'm impressed! And I thought I was doing good with an 11 hour burn.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 7:06 pm

You can get long burns but the heat is not pumping out.
I have gone 38 hours but the heat was minimal.
The house was down to 50* but I had gone to Boston for the weekend.

BeerMonley
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Lesiure Line
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by BeerMonley » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 7:44 pm

yeah it def wasnet hot in the house but I didnt even think it would still be goin.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Nice not to dig out a dead fire.
Chunk Charcoal on top brings the fire back quickly.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 8:26 pm

A lot of good comments here with impressive idle burn times. Related question that I need to learn about to avoid CO Issues. What is the hand fed experience base with running this cool (1/4 turn open) with 50-55 deg daytime/35-40 nighttime weather for 1-2-3 days like we have this week in New England ? While everyone's install if different, what is the weather's influence to backflow ? Like, for example, even though the warm weather comes, is the fact that your brick chimney is cold soaked play a part here in giving you an adequate draft until the chimney warms up ?

BDHodosn

Post by BDHodosn » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 8:28 pm

For those of us that are going away next weekend and want to resurrect an old fire...I pose this to the forum experts at large: What are all of your methods for bringing an old "dead" fire back without having to clean and re-light? I'd like to try to get 24 to 30 hours burn and bring it back. Tips? It's my Hitzer Model 82UL. I'll charge it to the gills, and idle her down before we leave Sat., and we return Sun. evening.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 9:32 pm

UglySquirrel,
Warm day cool night requires a different tactic.
I turn off the fan and keep the stove body at about 225* during the day.
Late afternoon I open up the air and add fresh coal.
Once that has caught a good shake down and turn on the fan.
Turning the fan off raises stack temps for me and I can run the stove till mid May.

BDHodosn,
If there is still red coals and not a dead dead fire.
I like the chunk charcoal because it burns hot and quick.
I keep no wood to burn.
It stays very damp hear by the beach so...
A few bags of chunk charcoal works for me.
The gel fire starter is great too.
No flare up from using the gel starter like other flammables and one match start.
I keep the charcoal and gel to help start other coal stoves when friends in need call.

BGK

Post by BGK » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 9:47 pm

BD Hodoson:
Regarding the 24 hr burn.....Shouldn't be a problem but I've only done it using pea coal. If you load it up and dial it back to about 6 it should be fine, but you have to leave the ash door open for awhile to get it going again. There will be a lot of ash buildup, but it shouldn't go out. Good luck.

BDHodosn

Post by BDHodosn » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 7:34 am

BGK wrote:BD Hodoson:
Regarding the 24 hr burn.....Shouldn't be a problem but I've only done it using pea coal. If you load it up and dial it back to about 6 it should be fine, but you have to leave the ash door open for awhile to get it going again. There will be a lot of ash buildup, but it shouldn't go out. Good luck.
Where do you run your combustion air door on the back of your Model 82 (generally, I mean)? I run mine ordinarily about ¾". With the current anthracite (nut allegedly from Reading) that keeps my stack temp @ 270° to 310° F about a foot after gases exit. Idling back would be almost closed? The dial-o-matic chain has fallen off a couple of times so I don't rely on it's numbers as I hooked it back on while the stove was running hard with wood. It might not be "calibrated" the same as last fall.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 8:13 am

It was warm one day & I got 26 hours out of my Jamesway with plenty left for a normal refill. The next day the winds came up, the temp dropped, and after 12 hours I came very close to losing the fire! I opened the draft, added a small amount of coal & let it go, checking it every 15 min. It took over an hour to get it back to where I could refill the stove.

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 12:18 pm

I think that the 82 is easily capable of this, in the early fall I was easily doing 24 hr, and tending once a day. I would probably do 7 instead of 6 though, as it might not have enough air at a 6, but how calibrated our numbers are from stove to stove I don't know. I measure my temps by the stove body above the door, and I think if that is held about 200*f , that is the lowest and still be reasonable to bring back, any lower it is may be such a pain to bring back, that you may as well just build a wood fire and then coal on top and go from there.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 3:40 pm

BDHodosn wrote:For those of us that are going away next weekend and want to resurrect an old fire...I pose this to the forum experts at large: What are all of your methods for bringing an old "dead" fire back without having to clean and re-light? I'd like to try to get 24 to 30 hours burn and bring it back. Tips? It's my Hitzer Model 82UL. I'll charge it to the gills, and idle her down before we leave Sat., and we return Sun. evening.
I am not sure if BD meant fire completely out, or burning very low. My question is if a fire is completely stone cold dead, say with a couple of inches of ash and unburned coal in the bottom of the firebox, will starting an all new fire on top of it eventually spread downward enough to burn up the old unburned coal :?:

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 9:30 pm

What I would do is shake it out, then start a wood fire on the leftovers. Then when you got a good rippin wood fire, start adding coal on it. You have to make sure the entire grate is covered with bones or fresh coal. Just like starting from scratch, it will eventually burn up the left overs. Now the fire isnt as good as when started from scratch, as you are burning partially burnt stuff and will have an ash-filled bed. I did this and it took a while to get the fire up to snuff, and the partially burnt crap out of the corners, and it into a nice fire.

BGK

Post by BGK » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 9:57 pm

BDHodosn wrote:
BGK wrote:BD Hodoson:
Where do you run your combustion air door on the back of your Model 82 (generally, I mean)? I run mine ordinarily about ¾". With the current anthracite (nut allegedly from Reading) that keeps my stack temp @ 270° to 310° F about a foot after gases exit. Idling back would be almost closed? The dial-o-matic chain has fallen off a couple of times so I don't rely on it's numbers as I hooked it back on while the stove was running hard with wood. It might not be "calibrated" the same as last fall.
Today with the warm temperatures my dial was set at 7 which runs the stove at about 200 (my thermometer is on the side near the top). The door was open between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. When it gets cold, I run it about 375 to 400, then it's usually open an inch and a half more. Today before I shook it down, I ran it up to 300 and the door closed completely for awhile. I came back and it was open about the same-1/4 to 1/2 inch. I do have fresh air piped right to the stove with a good drafting chimney. Hope this helps.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”