Gibraltar Stove Working Great With Coal

hugg

Post by hugg » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 8:23 am

I love this stove. I loaded her up last night at 5:30 then went to work a 12 hour shift. I got home at 8:45 this morning and it was still going strong. Does anyone know why these stoves arent available anymore? Did the company just go out of business? If so, when did they go out of business? I have no idea how old this stove is cause it came with the house. :D

Salemcoal

Post by Salemcoal » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 9:50 am

I think the stove company was just one part of a big company. coal berner knows the story. I'm running a CFS, easily the best handfired I've ever run.

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 9:23 pm

our local gibraltar expert is coal berner (J.C.). He recommended that I bought my LCC unit and it was probably the best decision that I had made for heating the house. It runs great and can run 12 hours before anything needs to be done, plus I like the fact that the shakers and parts are made heavy to with stand anything. I joke with my 5 year old, that if he is lucky this coal unit will be his one day.

Dan

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 11:04 pm

hugg wrote:I love this stove. I loaded her up last night at 5:30 then went to work a 12 hour shift. I got home at 8:45 this morning and it was still going strong. Does anyone know why these stoves arent available anymore? Did the company just go out of business? If so, when did they go out of business? I have no idea how old this stove is cause it came with the house. :D
Here you go it is a long one .When I got my MCC model 3 season's ago the guy I bought it from said it was 3 years old he bought it new in 2004 . The Report below says March 2007 . So From That I would say they stopped making them in or around 2004 or 2005 . But then I found the third one that says the company was INC. in 1996 and it was not active.
So Who Know's But I will Say this IMO There are the best made Hand fed air tight stove ever made Period. 12 Hrs in nothing for these stoves.The MCC LCC CFS DDI CFI Are Big Stove's That hold alot of coal. I know I can Run my Mcc from 28 to 40Hr depending on what coal and the outside temps are.Yes 40 Hrs on a load of 105lbs of coal. I Load the stove
once every other day some times more and shake once a day and leave it alone until 28 or 40hrs later. I use this stove for Two seasons I would light it in Oct and shut it down in May. 3.5 to 5 tons depending on the winter weather. Heating a 1948 coal ash cider block house 3140 Sq Ft. Greg LS. Farm Stayed At My house in winter 2007 08 for a few days. He Seen How The Stove Worked I Don't think he was ever cold either. The Temps upstairs was always between 74 To 76 The Downstairs was always 10 to 14 degrees warmer. Before this stove I had a 1979 first model Alaska Kodiak Duel Fuel stove big stove. A few Heatrola. Warm Morning 400 & 460. Tennessee Stove works model 322 stove Giant stove . Alaska Stoker stove kodiak first model 1985. Have a 1998 Alaska Kodiak Hopper fed did not burn this one yet. By far the The Gibraltar out Performs them all as far as long burn time.Some of them put out more heat but did not burn nowhere near aslong .But then some of theses stove's where three times the size of The MCC . So the heat output should be more . Anyway Enjoy the info below.

http://sec.edgar-online.com/gibraltar-industries- ... tion2.aspx

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGAR ... ID=5035917

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Florida/Sarasota/g ... 01702.aspx

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Feb. 08, 2009 8:12 am

GibraltorManual.pdf
.PDF | 1.1MB | GibraltorManual.pdf

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sun. Feb. 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Why did they stop building the Gibraltar models? What state were they built?
I see a few on craig list here and there earlier in the season.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Cap wrote:Why did they stop building the Gibraltar models? What state were they built?
I see a few on craig list here and there earlier in the season.
Read the third post above why they stopped making them in short big company was sold and broken up.
There where made in NY .
I have a little question seems like there a several people wondering why they stopped making Gibraltar stoves .
My Question is well why was Harman stove's sold.
They where many stove companies in business from the turn of the Century up to the 60s 70's 80'S & 90's Why did they all go out of Business.
Last edited by coal berner on Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 5:18 pm

There where many stove companies in business in the 70's 80'S & 90's Why did they all go out of Business?

I would have to say one word "Sales"

Rich

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 5:29 pm

coalvet wrote:There where many stove companies in business in the 70's 80'S & 90's Why did they all go out of Business?

I would have to one word "Sales"

Rich
Yes that would be one also advertising lack of interest in coal / wood Being Oil was cheaper and cleaner / less work
Company getting to big in other area's Good example Harman STOVE'S . Not Keeping up with the Times . And so on

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”