Coal Vs. Oil Currently, Is It Really Worth It ?

rewinder

Post by rewinder » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 7:51 am

OK tmegg, then it's hopperless and set up like the VgII but inconvienant to access the lower grate section to clean.

Mine can be shaken well and the tops of the grates can be sliced with the knife. With your saw tooth grates you can't easily slice horizontally, under the coal bed. That's probably why they went to the next version so fast, with the pan and door under the floor, so ya can poke up with something to clean the crud.

Ya the new brands of stoves may be a lot less fickle in that regard, I couldn't tell you. I think that's what you're really getting at with this thread and hope you find the answer. I read the threads of the new makes of stoves here looking for a better stove, but since I had 2 VC's, already the expense at this time didn't warrant a new one

Have you watched VigII PeaBurner's video on how he tends his VII?

Ahhhh the quest for the perfect stove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Is there such a thing?

paul

gambler

Post by gambler » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 11:29 pm

I like having a stove on my main floor to enjoy the radiant heat. I only save about $500 a year heating with coal. But I bought a used stove so it will be paid for sooner. I had a corn/pellet stove prior to the coal stove and I enjoy the coal radiant heat the most. My daughter was just complaining about the stove being at idle and not putting out much heat (because of the warm weather). The house is at 72 but she just wanted to warm up by the stove. The entire family enjoys the stove. So if you don't mind a little extra work and a new hobby, buy the stove. You will enjoy it I guarantee.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun. Feb. 08, 2009 2:44 am

I am saving about 1200./per year at 2.gal for #2 fuel oil. That is an average winter. This one has been cold, so I should
be saving more. Not paying OPEC? Priceless.

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Sun. Feb. 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Don't forget, you can allways burn wood in the vigilant! and if you get the wood for free, that's even better. I burn a few cord a year.

Bob

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Feb. 08, 2009 8:48 pm

BobQ wrote:Don't forget, you can allways burn wood in the vigilant! and if you get the wood for free, that's even better. I burn a few cord a year.

Bob
Bob, which model do you have? Do you need to reinstall the restricter plate if you have th newer "W" grates to burn wood? Thanks

BobQ

Post by BobQ » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 9:13 am

I have the newest one, I just put the wood on top of the coal, and leave a ash base of a few inches, I burn the wood when I am around durring the day and coal when I need the longer burnes. I have not put the restricter plate back in and have not had a over fire yet? So far it has been real good!

Bob

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 6:50 am

Thanks. Good idea to keep the draft down for wood without reinstalling that plate.

Gary L
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #1

Post by Gary L » Tue. Feb. 10, 2009 10:57 am

I paid $4.49/gal for the oil in my tank back in September. I paid $209/T for the coal.

Most of the oil is still there and I have plenty of coal to make it through the rest of this season.

I would need to have a 2000 gallon oil tank and the ability to determine the exact lowest price and when to buy to make oil a worthwhile fuel over coal.

Most of us buy our coal in one shot and at one price per ton while most of us who still need oil are at the mercy of the price fluxuations and have to buy when the tank is low and the price might be out of sight.

I would need 1000 gallons of foreign oil to provide the heat I get from 2 tons of USA coal.

It is a no-brainer in my opinion. Spending $900 for 200 gallons of oil or less then 25% of my seasons needs Vs $418 for all the coal I need to get me through the winter.

Gary

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”