Jersey John.....

I posted pics here:
Here's My Harman Insert (Pics)...

Jersey John
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

Post by Jersey John » Sun. Nov. 05, 2006 7:42 pm

bobkat wrote:John, I am from that area in Jersey south of the Mullica. I put in a Hitzer 50-93 last fall and love it. Before I retired, I was working 10 hour tours at work, which often ended up being 12-13 hours. Add in get ready and travel to and from time, there were many days that the time between tendings was 14-15 hours. I think that all season I only had to restart twice, and that was because it went way past 15 hours on a single load. the Hitzer heated the 1100 sf rancher with full basement like it was born to do it. All I did was leave the cellar door open enough for cats to get downstairs. All the rest was natural convection and radiant through the tile floors. When you get the chance to do it... go for it. You'll never look back for wood again.
Bob
When you say that it went past 15 hours on a single load, was that from a full hopper? I was under the impression that with 50 lbs. of coal it could go significantly longer than 15 hours without needing much if any tending. Unless you're referring to the need to shake within that time frame.

I've come to the conclusion based on all that I have read that I will be purchasing at least one Hitzer when I have the extra funds to do so. I am somewhat tossed between a committed full time coal burner and one that can burn wood on occassion. But then, from what I have read the 503 can by removing the hopper, and the 983 can as well, since there is no hopper, as well then as the 30-95..

It's just a matter of finding either a fare priced dealer within a 100 mile radius or simply ordering from Hitzer or Lehman's in Ohio. Both sell the stoves at a price hundreds less than the dealers I have called so far.

Wondering where you purchased yours? and if you could share some pics of it in place.

Thanks!

scp944

Post by scp944 » Mon. Nov. 20, 2006 11:43 pm

I have the Hitzer 50-93 and can also say it is a great stove. I did a lot of research and traveled to many dealer showrooms to compare different brands for hand fire stoves. In my opinion Hitzer is the best made hand fired stove out there. The craftmanship is second to none and the ez-flo system works flawlessly. I have the stove located in my basement and it heats the basement plus three floors above it for a total of almost 2500 sq ft.

I must admit it was very fustrating in the begining to learn how to keep the darn thing burning through the night. So just be warned that it will take time to figure it out, but once you get it down then you will enjoy a toasty warm house. Also as someone else mentioned earlier, be ready to dedicate time to tend to the stove about 2X a day. We usually shake it down first thing in the morning and top it off with coal and then shake it down again at night with a final top off before bed. When its really cold you will probably have to also shake it down at some point during the day as well.

As much as I love this stove, for the reason of all the work involved I will be trading up for a stoker. Unfortunatly with my schedule its just to much work. I work 12 hour shifts with a 2 hour commute both ways so I am out of the house 16 hours a day for 3 days per week. During these days my fiancee doesnt like going down into the basement to shake it down. So I will be getting the Leisure Line Pocono stoker which has a 200lb hopper, which should get us through the days that am away for work. I actually had my Hitzer listed forsale here on the forum as well as other sites. I had many people interested and came to my home to look at it, however two individuals who wanted to buy it had no way of removing it from my basement due to its weight. It is very very heavey, When I purschased it, it took 4 grown men to carry it down and it was very difficult.

Anyway hope some of that was helpful, and if anyone is interested I am asking $1000 for the stove in like new condition (4 seasons old). If interested email me at: [email protected]

scp944

Post by scp944 » Mon. Nov. 20, 2006 11:46 pm

Oh and for price comparison, My local Hitzer retailer sells the 50-93 for $1895.00 plus tax and there is about a 6 week wait.

Steve

Jersey John

Post by Jersey John » Tue. Nov. 21, 2006 12:11 am

I then find it hard to pass up a direct purchase from the manufacturer. Hitzer themselves sells the 50-93 for $1342 with blower and 10% of the total shipping. I believe that Lehman's Catalogue sells it even a little cheaper.

Why then are dealers marking them up several hundred dollars? I have read enough positive comments to purchase one when I have the extra dollars, which by the end of this heating season should be enough of an incentive to have them, even if I have to sell some of my wood, as someone else suggested. To purchase a stove for that much more than retail, and add state tax makes no sense to me.

FYI, the 30-95 model direct from Hitzer os $1178, and the 503 Insert is $1585 + shipping. Maybe I should consider going into the stove business. I'd be quite happy making 25% or more markup on something that was going to be drop shipped anyway.

Thanks for the additional information for comparison.

Happy Holidays to all

Jersey John

bobkat

Post by bobkat » Fri. Nov. 24, 2006 7:48 pm

John, Sorry for the delay, I wanted to get some pictures to put up before replying. I am posting them on the proper thread under the general information heading. Yes, I was referring to the need to shake down the ash not burning out of fuel. The time frames were closer to 17-18 hrs before tending and on a few occasions it was not a problem to get it burning toasty again. I purchased mine from the Fireplace Shanty, on Rt. 40 here in Mays Landing. The price was, with the contribution to the State of New Jersey, just under $1500.00. It was the floor model, as they indicated a 3-4 month wait for one ordered. Don't know how far into the pine barrens you travel to see your lady friend, but if you are ever planning to be down this way, drop me a line and I would be happy to show you the unit in operation.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Apr. 10, 2007 11:29 pm

Saw my first Hitzer 50-93 in operation the other day at an Amish friends home. Boy was I impressed, this thing is built like a tank and was putting out the heat just idling. I think these stoves are a bit overlooked by some of us.

I am entertaining the idea of a 503 fireplace insert for a back up to my Alaska stoker. I loose all the heat up the fireplace when I use it, this way I could remove the hopper and burn wood or leave it in and run everybody out of the house with coal!

Sounds like a plan!

Maybe the Wife would be the first to go! Then her Dog!

BK

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat. Apr. 14, 2007 7:25 am

Nice thread,

I just purchase (used) the Hitzer 50-93 and I'm looking forward at adding some helpful comments. But for now looks like I'll be asking for some helpful comments :) But that will come this upcoming winter season!!

castiron

Post by castiron » Fri. Apr. 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Jersey John wrote:I then find it hard to pass up a direct purchase from the manufacturer. Hitzer themselves sells the 50-93 for $1342 with blower and 10% of the total shipping. I believe that Lehman's Catalogue sells it even a little cheaper.
where do you buy it direct from the manufacturer? I went to the site but didn't see it....

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri. Apr. 20, 2007 3:41 pm

castiron wrote:
Jersey John wrote:I then find it hard to pass up a direct purchase from the manufacturer. Hitzer themselves sells the 50-93 for $1342 with blower and 10% of the total shipping. I believe that Lehman's Catalogue sells it even a little cheaper.
where do you buy it direct from the manufacturer? I went to the site but didn't see it....
castiron,

A nice day trip over to Bern Indiana and you can pick it up yourself direct from the factory!! They also sell coal.

Jersey John

Post by Jersey John » Mon. Aug. 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Rex wrote:
castiron wrote: where do you buy it direct from the manufacturer? I went to the site but didn't see it....
castiron,

A nice day trip over to Bern Indiana and you can pick it up yourself direct from the factory!! They also sell coal.
Well, I'm back and ready to buy. Fact is, Lehman Catalog company mentioned that the Hitzer Stoves are in short supply. A quick call to the Hitzer Company however indicated that they can ship as needed. Since I am not in a region that is serviced by Hitzer, they will indeed ship direct for aprox 10% of the total. For a 503 insert, their sell price is $1625 and for the 50-93, the price is $1382.

I will be evaluating my needs and making a purchase in the next 10 days, and will advise to which one I choose...after perhaps quering a few of you some more.

Looks like fall temperatures are coming early to NJ. Need to locate a coal dealer....wondering if our hose has decided to deliver to NW Jersey.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Aug. 20, 2007 8:36 pm

Hello jersey john Have you tried http://www.Alaskastove.com they also will sell direct to you and they are much closer to you give them a call or take a ride up to bloomsburg pa and see them yourself they are pretty good people to deal with you also can e-mail them with any questions you might have good luck . P.S. If you do take a ride up you can stop and pick up some coal to. If you have a trailer or truck or both that way you can pick up a stove and coal just a thought take care :)

Rex

Post by Rex » Tue. Aug. 21, 2007 8:35 am

I saw the new pewter designed doors that Hitzer has come out with. This along with their gold trim and standard styles give you a few options for decoration.

The pewter is really attractive and we have decided to upgrade our 50-93's door and knobs to this new look..

Good luck.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Aug. 21, 2007 8:46 am

Did you see them on a Web site?

BK

Rex

Post by Rex » Tue. Aug. 21, 2007 8:51 am

bksaun wrote:Did you see them on a Web site?

BK
No. A local Hitzer dealer had an open house and the Hitzer trailer was there displaying the pewter units.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”