Newbie Question

sarrep

Post by sarrep » Thu. Oct. 19, 2006 3:18 am

Hi all,

I will be firing up my stove soon for the first time ever. It is a anthracite coal stove, Vermont Casting model. My question is... how do I let the coal die out naturally? I only want to burn 2-3 days at a time (week-ends). It kinda freaks me out to let the stove burn while there is nobody home during the week. I guess I'm paranoid.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

davemich

Post by davemich » Thu. Oct. 19, 2006 6:44 am

I believe the answer is a simple one...just let it burn out. What I do if I want to clean my insert out along with the liner is that as the fire begins to wane, I open the draft adjustment more and more until it goes out. No need to poke at the coal other than shaking the grate to remove the ash. Mine stays lit 24/7 during cold months with nobody home. My stove is a beast tho and I have a SS liner in my chimney therefore I have confidence where I can leave it unattended without my blood pressure rising at all!! You need to see how it burns and make sure your complete system is installed correctly to gain that confidence. It took me a while to feel this way. Good luck!!

sarrep

Post by sarrep » Thu. Oct. 19, 2006 7:33 am

Thanks for the advice.

FedFire47

Post by FedFire47 » Sat. Oct. 21, 2006 10:30 pm

This is a little off topic but like the other person said don't poke the grates especially not with something metal. When they are hot if you touch them with metal they will crumble apart like crackers. Yes I'm speaking from experience LOL.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”