Using Rice Instead of Nut?

brin

Post by brin » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 11:11 am

Our only source of bagged nut is out and doesn't know when they will have more.......They have lots of rice.
Is there a way to burn rice in my old caboose stove? The grates hold nut but not rice. I thought maybe some screen material might work but have not tried it yet.
thanks.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 11:13 am

You won't get the air flow and probably choke the fire out. :( You need the large coal to keep air flowing thru it. The rice is meant for Stokers with a forced combustion blower. I wouldn't recommend it. That';s the reason the grates are made that way, to limit the size of coal used and get the ashes out

brin

Post by brin » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 11:24 am

thanks. those were my thoughts exactly.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Brin ------ last year when I was using pea, I Got a couple bags of rice mixed by accident -- I burned them but only by adding a "scoop" at a time, as mentioned the rice "smothered" the fire but was burned as it moved down. I doubt you could burn just rice in your caboose stove. baldeagle

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 12:41 pm

brin wrote:Our only source of bagged nut is out and doesn't know when they will have more.......They have lots of rice.
Is there a way to burn rice in my old caboose stove? The grates hold nut but not rice. I thought maybe some screen material might work but have not tried it yet.
thanks.
brin you do not want to burn Rice size in any Hand fed stove first it will fall threw the grates into the ash pan
second even if you try to put some kind of screen and did get it to burn with out smothering the fire with the screen
in place how are you going to shake the ash down with the screen in place stick with Pea Nut or Stove size coal
Here is the different sizes of coal you will see what everyone is talking about .

http://www.readinganthracite.com/images/coal%20si ... 0front.pdf

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 3:01 pm

cant burn rice in a hand fed stove
we burn some buckwheat that is laden with cat poop in the hand fed stoves (stupid cats think coal is litter) cant add much or you will smother the fire

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 3:03 pm

And I thought I was the only one burning poop :oops:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”