Csi

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Stands for Cleaned Stove Inside. I lost my fire this morning, didn't tend it late last night. I threw some coal on it this morning but to no avail. If there was no matches anywhere I could have saved the fire but it would have taken a long time to revive. I let the few reds left go out and took the coal out and cleared out the ash. Went up on the roof, took off the cover, and ran my 8" x 8" chimney brush down the flue a few times. It's attached to a 9' piece of closet rod. The chimney was still warm and a cloud of fly ash came up out of it. Went in and vacuumed the pipes.
I put in a piece of cardboard, the supermarket kindling, a few 2x4 scraps, and some select lump coal pieces. By the time the fire was restored three hours later I had added a spackle bucket full. A fresh fire always burns really hot for me. I need some ash in there to temper the fire!

Attachments

Picture 108.jpg

Cleaned out.

.JPG | 479.8KB | Picture 108.jpg
Picture 114.jpg

pine and anthracite

.JPG | 395.2KB | Picture 114.jpg

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 6:29 pm

That is a prety good turnarround time with the cleaning and all. I pulled the cleanout cap of the bottom of the 'T' at the bottom of the stove pipe last week and got only a coffee mug ful of ash out of it. I didn't go up on my 12/12 pitch roof to run the brush through. I will wait til spring to take the stove pipe appart and clean and brush from below. So far, still going on one match. :D

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Griz,
The flat roof here makes it easy! :D But it's really prone to leaks. :(
The way my baro is set up I can see the flue beyond it. Some fly ash buildup I saw might have been from last season's minor wood creosote. Like the ash stuck to it. My old Sears shop vac has a pleated filter that seems to handle the ash well.
Nice and clean now, and with no ash in the fire, it's really putting out a lot of heat.
My chimney is only about 9' from the thimble to the cap, so far so good with the draft.

bperowski

Post by bperowski » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 8:15 pm

I cleaned my stove today also. Was having a problem with the damper and hasn't been the same since. running the stove at the same temps and settings, not the same amount of ash return or heat, cant put a finger on it. Did a quick clean re-loaded and was hot in less than an hour. Really sucks because I did a full clean last weekend ( in -5 degree temps). I'll keep you posted on how this one went.

Bruce

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Dann757:

Is your fire box round. It looks like it in the pic. My Jotul has a round fire box and it works great; no poking of the fire needed. How many BTU does it produce? What kind of shaker system does it have? My shaker is a rotatory style. How many pounds can you load at once. How long of an average burn can you achieve from it? I know I have a lot of questions. I'm just wondering how it compares to my Jotul. I am going to install a second unit in my house and was wondering if a different stove would be better. I have a second Jotul and am considering installing that, however, I'm open to other stoves that might be better. Don't get me wrong I like my Jotul and would not trade it for nothing. It is a very good perfomer. Just looking.

The snowman.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”