Glass Dimensions

yamaha

Post by yamaha » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Can anyone tell me what the dimension is for the glass in a Hitzer 50-93. Mine is cracked and a local glass company said that they can cut me a piece out for in it.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 11:16 pm

I keep a spare glass for mine. I peeled back the gasket, and measured the glass itself. It measures 17-3/8 x 9, and is 3/16 thick. The glass I have is strait from HITZER, for the 50-93.

yamaha

Post by yamaha » Tue. Jan. 20, 2009 4:55 am

Thanks! Can you tell me what size of gasket you used?

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Jan. 20, 2009 7:45 am

yamaha wrote:Thanks! Can you tell me what size of gasket you used?
I replaced the gasket on my original glass. It was gasket material my HITZER dealer gave me. Nothing special. I'm sure you can buy it other places. Looking at the gasket material presently in use, it is a flat style gasket. Measures approx: 3/16 thick x about 1-1/8 - 1-1/4 wide. Either size would work. The glass sets in the middle of the gasket, and the gasket folds around to the front & back of the glass. The gasket material is kind of soft & wooly. Not the real dense rigid kind of material. Also not the real fluffy wooly kind. Kind of inbetween. Dealer also recommended useing stainless steel screws, which I did. As far as my spare glass goes, it came strait from HITZER with the gasket already glued on the glass. The factory gasket measures an over all 1 inch wide x about 3/16 thick. In the center of the gasket, where the glass fits, is a 1/4 inch strip, which is hard and flat, as if glued and pressed. The two sides which fold around the glass are 3/8 inch each, giving the gasket a total over-all of 1 inch.

Floydman89
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Floydman89 » Tue. Jan. 20, 2009 9:36 am

Oliver, why do you have replacement glass on-hand? Is it something I should think about getting?? We do have an oil furnace ripping ready to go at all times, if for some reason the Hitzer goes out, or needs to be shut down.... Obviously we love to keep that Hitzer going.. cause having the Oil set at 70 would drain the tank painfully fast... I think I would want to get my glass from Hitzer... cause what if you go and put it in and it does fit just right .. and you tighten it up .. CRACK :shock: ooops :cry: Maybe I'm wrong here and its NOT a big deal.. and maybe getting glass local is a LOT cheaper.. What did you glass cost.. if you don't mind me asking??? Anyone else can chime in too ... Grizzly, how did you make out??

bperowski

Post by bperowski » Tue. Jan. 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Having a spare glass and gaskets on hand is a pretty good idea :idea: . Just like the Boy Scout motto says, Be Prepared.

Coal has the tendency to explode, never know when one of those buggers will bugger up the glass.

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Tue. Jan. 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Floydman89 wrote:Oliver, why do you have replacement glass on-hand? Is it something I should think about getting?? We do have an oil furnace ripping ready to go at all times, if for some reason the Hitzer goes out, or needs to be shut down.... Obviously we love to keep that Hitzer going.. cause having the Oil set at 70 would drain the tank painfully fast... I think I would want to get my glass from Hitzer... cause what if you go and put it in and it does fit just right .. and you tighten it up .. CRACK :shock: ooops :cry: Maybe I'm wrong here and its NOT a big deal.. and maybe getting glass local is a LOT cheaper.. What did you glass cost.. if you don't mind me asking??? Anyone else can chime in too ... Grizzly, how did you make out??
The reason I have a spare glass is because of my uncle. He's one to always have a back-up of anything that could go wrong. He bought a Harman Mark-111, and said he was going to buy a spare glass, JUST IN CASE.......I thought that was a good idea. Neither one of us have had to use our spare glass. I mainly went to my dealer to buy a new gasket for my original glass, only because I roughed up the gasket while cleaning the glass with stainless steel whool pad. While I was at the dealer, I bought my spare glass. That was maybe 3 years ago. I don't remember the dollar amount. I do remember thinking how reasonable the price was. As far as worrying about the glass not fitting, or putting too much preasure, and cracking the glass, it's very forgiving. It sets in place, with a little preasure from the top and bottom bars. That's it! Very simple design. The most trouble, if any, will be getting the screws out. They may be corroded in. That's why my dealer suggested useing stainless screws. He has even mentioned it to HITZER.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Wed. Jan. 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Grizzly, how did you make out?? [Floydman]

Still cooking along with my cracked glass. I plan to order new Robax from Schott Applied Energy Systems, Cust. Svce. 1-800-822-0600 tomorrow, and keep it for a spare. After the heating season I am going to work on a protective screen. Speaking of glass dimensions, the Scott website says they have most stove glass sizes in their computer. I hope so because I can only get an approximate size from measuring mine while still installed in the door. :)

grizzly2

Post by grizzly2 » Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 6:44 pm

I called the Robax manufacturer today to order glass for the Hitzer. They said they don't keep a record of rectangular glass sizes, but keep irregular shapes in the computer of the machine that cuts the glass. Their price is $67.68. I then called Hitzer to get the dimentions of the glass, since mine is in the door frame and I can't get an exact measurement. The man at Hitzer said he had some in stock for $53.25, so I ordered the glass from Hitzer. :)

Floydman89

Post by Floydman89 » Mon. Jan. 26, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for the Info Grizzly!!!

grizzly2

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Jan. 27, 2009 7:31 pm

New glass arrived today, and in one piece :!: It has a 'U' channel shaped one piece gasket already installed on it. :)

Floydman89

Post by Floydman89 » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 9:09 am

:D Awesome!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”