Rate Your Stove...Amount of Dust

How much ash/dust outside the stove does your unit create?

1 Very little ash/dust, no complaints. I am breathing well.
48%
2 Some ash/dust, can be a serious problem but I have learned to work around it. I am careful shaking & ash removal.
27%
3 Fair amount of ash/dust. I will not expect anyone other than myself to shake & remove ash.
14%
4 Lots of ash/dust. Family & I deal with it because it saves us money and produces great heat but I am cautious when & how I handle the ash. Can become a possible health issue for other family members and even myself.
10%
5 Tremendous amount of ash/dust. I'm glad this bear is in the garage. My wife or son will not approach it.
1%

Total votes: 79

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Aug. 23, 2022 11:40 am

Folks, let's face it no matter what stove you are using there will be dirt/ash deposits on your furniture and surfaces in your house. Coal/wood burning ain't for everyone. You just can't have a better homes and garden home if your burning solid fuel, unless you have a full time maid and cleaning service.
With that said, I never lived that way and I don't intend to do so either. Looking back over the years my grandparents had a coal furnace in their basement and my grandmother was always complaining about the ash deposits that the furnace made. But she knew that this was what they could afford, so they learned to accept that. Fast forward my parents used a duel heat system one furnace was oil, which my mom would bitch that the oil was leaving a slight film on her furniture and smudging everything. Then came the wood furnace. My mom would constantly complain about the wood smoke and the wood ash being everywhere. So it looks like everyone and anyone could bitch about anything if they wanted to.
With that said, My grandparents and parents were not made of money, but had plenty of common sense. I think if you really financially rich, then either get a cleaning service or one of those solar heaters. While your at it you might want to buy an electric car also.
If your like me, then just live your life the way you want and if someone doesn't like the way my house looks or smells, then they can forget visiting me, because I am who I am, take it or leave it.
Now with all that said both my wife and I are very happy to existing on a very meager social security check, and we will survive one way or another. We have two Legacy TLC 2000's and plan on burning both this winter. Between our wood and coal supply, we should have enough to get us by for the next few winters. We occasionally dust and sweep but other than that we put up with the dirt/ash as long as we need to. It just makes sense to us. This is just my view point.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Aug. 23, 2022 11:54 am

Sorry for the double post

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Aug. 23, 2022 8:47 pm

Well, I grew up hearing"God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt." That never made much sense to me, but I don't have to take a bath after I get a little dirty, you know what I mean Vern?

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Aug. 23, 2022 9:09 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Aug. 23, 2022 8:47 pm
Well, I grew up hearing"God made dirt, and dirt don't hurt." That never made much sense to me, but I don't have to take a bath after I get a little dirty, you know what I mean Vern?
Sometimes a P.T.A. bath is good enough. :D

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Aug. 24, 2022 8:47 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Tue. Aug. 23, 2022 8:47 pm
I always liked, "Clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy." :D

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”