Ash Post-Mortem

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 1:59 pm

If the walls are insulated the little guy should heat it well.
Basement is about 1100 sqft?

Chief20

Post by Chief20 » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 9:46 am

Woke this morning to another dead fire. Actually there was a faint glow about 3" in diameter. Went to bed at 11:00 after a shakedown and reload. You couldn't have put anymore coal in this stove and still get the door shut. Back and Sides were level with the brick sloping towards the glass door. Temp on stove was 425 and I cut back on the air on the ash door to 1.5 down from 2 the previous night. Woke this morning at 7:30 when the heat upstairs came on. Outside temp dropped to 3 below. Looks like this stove will need tending at intervals not to exceed 6 hours. I recovered the stove with a few pieces of kindling and a single quarter log. Back up on coal in under two hours. As I wrote earlier this is a learning opportunity for me. I am not relying on this stove to heat this season. Hopefully those that read this may gain some understanding on coal capacity and sizing. I have started looking at inserts for next season. I must have a small a small fireplace. The opening is only 29.5 inches wide and doesn't seem to meet the minimum opening for the few manufacturers I've looked at. Any advice? Thanks

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 9:58 am

Replace with a larger freestanding rear exaust stove like the Hitzer 50-93 or 30-95 exaust height is key.
http://www.hitzer.com/model50-93.html

rewinder

Post by rewinder » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 12:03 pm

If you're adding 35lbs of new coal to an levely fire after shaking it, you should be able to slow it down by reducing the input air more than you do now. Sure the heat will be lower, but the stove won't burn up the load overnite.

you probably need a larger stove, but for now try to reduce the stove temp to 300 with the draft control and see how long it burns

Is ther a baffle or something to restrict the the exaust from a direct shot out of the stove.

Also you could adjust the baro for somewhat less draft to keep more heat in the stove.

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Chief, did the ash look any different this morning? If it looks like yesteday's ash, it looks to me you're not getting a complete burn--why I don't know.
Here is a picture of some ash I took out this AM

Attachments

Ash Trail 009.JPG
.JPG | 382.5KB | Ash Trail 009.JPG

Millworker

Post by Millworker » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 2:38 pm

I agree with Ashcat. The ash photos you posted don't look like coal that burned to completion. And to quote you "1/3 of the ash bucket is black, 1/3 is white and 1/3 is gray" - does the 1/3 that is black look like it did when you put it in? I think it's important for you to determine if indeed you are burning up all the coal quickly, OR is the coal fire deprived of air and extinguishing? The solutions are quite different depending on your determination.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 2:43 pm

The burnt up coal is normal for a stove let to die of natural causes, no new coal and no shaking.
Boil water that is 212* at sea level.
Suspend the thermos in the boiling water and see what they read.
Dry them and hit it with WD-40 to prevent rusting.
Drop the stove to 200*-250* and you should have it burning for 10 hours.
The stove only holds 30-40 lbs from empty.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Jan. 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Any stove that runs out of coal will look like the pics.The ash that you shake down will look different but the coal you shovel out when a fire goes out will look partially burned.
DON

Chief20

Post by Chief20 » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Success........Loaded it sloping toward the door until the coal began rolling out. Dropped the temp down 275-300 with the ash door slide set at position 1. Room temp in stove room was 76F coldest room in house was 70F. This was following an aggressive shaking and poking up from the bottom through the ash door until there was a glow across the ash pan. Woke to an orange glow across the firebox with small flames. This was a first. Stove room temp had dropped to 70F coldest room dropped to 64F. I can live with this, heat did not kick in and I didn't have to relight. I figured it went 8 hours. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”