Need Manual or Info for Citation Coal Stove

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
mwood
Stove/Furnace Make: Salco Machinery

Post Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 11:43 am

I am trying to setup an old Slavo Machinery coal stove (c45). But I don't have a manual. I was wondering if anyone out there had a Salvo manual of any kind. My major confusion is about a catalytic combuster which I see being sold for this stove on the web, I thought catalytic combusters were only used for wood. Do I need a catalytic combuster for burning coal?
Thanks

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 12:30 pm

NO, do not use a catylist with coal.. Please post a photo of the stove's firebox and grates.

If this is going to be capable of burning coal, it MUST have the following:

Shaker grates,, to shake the ashes out from the bottom of the coal bed.
An AshPan under the grates, you have to collect the ashes, and remove them from the stove
An adjustable combustion air intake in the ashpan door, or into the ashpan area. Coal MUST have combustion air entering under the fire,
Above the fire air will not support combustion in a coal bed..

Hope this helps..

Greg L

Note: I have two, wood burning fireplace inserts in my home,, and would love to be able to burn some coal in them,, but it just won't burn without the above listed items in the stove..
Burning Pea/Buckwheat through an antique stoker [semi retired SSboiler],
Running an Axeman-Anderson 260M boiler burning Pea, About 150-250#per day
Farming, Fixing, Fabricating and Flying: 'spare time' what's that?

Visit Hitzer Stoves

mwood
Stove/Furnace Make: Salco Machinery

Post Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 1:06 pm

NO, do not use a catylist with coal.. Please post a photo of the stove's firebox and grates.
Thanks for clearing that up!

The stove has all of these things, it's definitely a coal stove. I'm not very good with the coal, but we used to have a Russo insert with a blower that we burned coal. We could never get it to burn more than a day and an evening before having to shut it down. But we liked it just the same. We're looking forward to getting this Citation going. Hopefully we can keep it burning longer.

I'm at work now, so I can't take a picture, but I found a post with a picture of a salvo insert that looks the same, the top picture has a front identical to this one:

can someone ID this insert?
Can Someone ID This Insert?
Thanks

coal berner
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 1:50 pm

mwood wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up!

The stove has all of these things, it's definitely a coal stove. I'm not very good with the coal, but we used to have a Russo insert with a blower that we burned coal. We could never get it to burn more than a day and an evening before having to shut it down. But we liked it just the same. We're looking forward to getting this Citation going. Hopefully we can keep it burning longer.

I'm at work now, so I can't take a picture, but I found a post with a picture of a salvo insert that looks the same, the top picture has a front identical to this one:

can someone ID this insert?
Can Someone ID This Insert?
Thanks
Try these parts companies they my have a manual for your stove

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood ... rence.html

http://www.hearthstove.com/catalog.html
J.C.

Heating house & water with a 1986 electric furnace man DF520 using buckwheat Anthracite coal

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”