Coal Dummy...

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 9:00 am

Or less...
**Broken Link(s) Removed**The black version is always a few bucks more but includes the tee.
If you have a friend in the trades they can get it for you cheaper.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 10:15 am

Coaledsweat wrote: That is pretty pricey. You should be able to get that baro and TEE at the local heating supply house for about $40.[

Thanks Coaledsweat - I would have thought so too but couldn't find anything less expensive; not the Field Controls anyway. None of the stove shops stock them around here - they are all wood burners. Anyway, I guess there was a reason why I just couldn't bring myself to go ahead and get it. You saved me about $50. Thanks again, Lisa

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 10:26 am

Don't feel bad...
6" RC on E-Bay for $198 each!
Buy it now and there are only 5 at that price.

Oakback

Post by Oakback » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 11:23 am

I've been burning reading anthracite nut coal in my new Harman insert since November of this year.
The salesman told me I'd curse the thing for at least a month until I got the hang of it. Burning coal is nothing like burning wood, and it takes time to get to know your stove's tempermant.
I've finnally gotten to the point that I can keep a good fire going day after day, and have hit my stride.
My only advice ( as a coal newbie ) is to keep the fire "strong". If it's not "strong", handle it gently and give it what it wants until it is "strong" ( air, air, air ). Once it's "strong", you can do just about anything to it.

The challenge is to discover your own stoves definition of "strong" :)

reckebecca

Post by reckebecca » Mon. Jan. 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Oakback wrote:The salesman told me I'd curse the thing for at least a month until I got the hang of it. Burning coal is nothing like burning wood, and it takes time to get to know your stove's tempermant.
That was one smart salesman! I wish someone had warned me of that - then I wouldn't have felt so crazy when I was so frustrated and couldn't figure it out!

And, it can't be said too many times - burning coal is nothing like burning wood!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”