Powder

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 8:47 am

Any ideas on reducing the powder that is covering everything within 20 feet of my stove? I never thought it would be this bad!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:10 am

Are all your flue pipe joints sealed and door gaskets tight to keep any ash from floating around during the shake down process? I assume you are talking about ash powder rather than coal dust from loading?

I get very little coal dust from the buckets of coal I bring in since I am shoveling from the 5 gallon buckets directly into the stove and not dumping the bucket into a hopper. Also the coal I am bringing in is usually damp from being outside in the semi covered pile.

Mine is in an unfinished basement so maybe I don't notice the ash dust as much as some would in a living space, but still, I keep the dust down by being slow and careful when cleaning out the ash. I turn off the blower fan first and pull out the ash pan. In my Harman there is ash that misses the ash pan along the sides, I use a small flat ash shovel to get it out. Carefully place the ash on the shovel into the ash pan so it doesn't create a cloud of dust. I then set the pan to the side to cool off and replace it with a second ash pan. It takes less than 5 minutes, I usually do this at night and then take the full pan outside to be dumped the next day. We hang laundry in the basement and SWMBO has never complained about dust on the clothes hanging up (and believe me, it would have been pointed out to me if there had).

I did trip over a cat one time carrying the pan outside, that made quite a cloud and took a while to clean up!
Last edited by titleist1 on Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:10 am

Be careful shaking and loading coal and removing ashes

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:19 am

Vacuum with a magnetic arm and hood from wood working shop.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:32 am

I am pretty careful. There is a plate that covers the opening when I shake too.
Its just that fine gray powder pretty much everywhere down here!

hugg

Post by hugg » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:38 am

Thats the problem with having a coal stove in your main living space. I have same type of issue that requires alot of dusting in the area that my hand fired stove is in (gibraltar). After trying dust reduction techniques, If the dust is still bad, consider putting the stove in your basement. :)

tstove

Post by tstove » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:41 am

I only shake down with a good hot fire when possible,all the powder seem's to go up the chimney :D

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 10:04 am

hugg wrote:Thats the problem with having a coal stove in your main living space. I have same type of issue that requires alot of dusting in the area that my hand fired stove is in (gibraltar). After trying dust reduction techniques, If the dust is still bad, consider putting the stove in your basement. :)
Its in the basement, but its finished and I have my computer and 10k in sign making machines down here so its really starting to get on my nerves. That pic of your gibraltar look like the same one I have.. SCR

Its strange because when I shake I really don't "see" anything getting airborn.

hugg

Post by hugg » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 10:11 am

I don't either. But its there. I think your stove has a blower. When you are shaking down or filling up do you shut the blower off. Maybe that will help a bit.

Burnt4me

Post by Burnt4me » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Are you opening your fill door a crack when you shake? Most fly ash will leave with your draft. I keep a small air cleaner running in the room. All of the air in your home is turning over at the heat source as the cool air drops and the hot rises.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Are you sure it is dust from the flyash? Or is it just dust from the house? When the air gets changed from that room it carries house dust with it. The reason you notice it is because it is not filtered and begins to collect on surfaces.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Im just thinking about it more. for the past 2 weeks I have been wood working in the garage. I leave the door open from the house with a fan blowing into the gargage. I was assuming the dust from the wood would not blow into the house with the fan blowing the opposite dir. but I think about 50% if from that.

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 1:19 pm

MidnightMadman wrote:Im just thinking about it more. for the past 2 weeks I have been wood working in the garage. I leave the door open from the house with a fan blowing into the gargage. I was assuming the dust from the wood would not blow into the house with the fan blowing the opposite dir. but I think about 50% if from that.
If you are blowing air into the garage there has to be air coming out of the garage and it will be carrying dust with it if you are woodworking.

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 1:19 pm

gambler wrote:
MidnightMadman wrote:Im just thinking about it more. for the past 2 weeks I have been wood working in the garage. I leave the door open from the house with a fan blowing into the gargage. I was assuming the dust from the wood would not blow into the house with the fan blowing the opposite dir. but I think about 50% if from that.
If you are blowing air into the garage there has to be air coming out of the garage and it will be carrying dust with it if you are woodworking.
HEHEHE! Thats the part where I went wrong!

GaryFerg
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by GaryFerg » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Does anyone make a covered shovel? Like with a hinged cover to hold the ash in while shoveling. That's the key hold your ash while shoveling!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”