Ceramic Glass Crazing? Gambler?

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 9:39 am

Anyone found a remedy for crazing--the development of multiple, small linear or web-like cracks in glass? This isn't a cleaning problem, so much as a polishing problem. Last year, Gambler said in a post that, at the end of the season, he was going to try polishing the surface, but I never saw him post any results of this. I just tried some test areas with Rain-X and NuFinish, with no apparent benefit. Here are a few pics highlighting the problem.

Attachments

Coke Experiment-Summit-Rain-X 041.JPG
.JPG | 348.7KB | Coke Experiment-Summit-Rain-X 041.JPG
Coke Experiment-Summit-Rain-X 045.JPG
.JPG | 338.3KB | Coke Experiment-Summit-Rain-X 045.JPG

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 9:48 am

Have we asked Dean at Hitzer about the problem, a solution and how to prevent the problem from developing in the future?
If they are more than surface scratches or actual cracks no amount of 'polishing' even with compound is going to cure the problem.
If it is just scratches then polishing will be the answer, just what kind of compound.

Ashcat

Post by Ashcat » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 10:30 am

CapeCoaler wrote:Have we asked Dean at Hitzer about the problem, a solution and how to prevent the problem from developing in the future?
If they are more than surface scratches or actual cracks no amount of 'polishing' even with compound is going to cure the problem.
If it is just scratches then polishing will be the answer, just what kind of compound.
I haven't (yet) contacted Dean or Robax, for that matter, but will. I'm pretty sure these are cracks rather than scratches. People (as documented on the Glass Cleaner thread) have used carnauba wax, and ceramic polish (for Corningware surface cookstoves) for cleaning/anti-clouding purposes, but not sure whether they might not work here to fill in the micro-cracks, even if they don't polish them out.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 11:14 am

Ashcat, The spider web cracks are there to stay and do not hurt anything.
I see you are running a 983 hand fired stove so you should have some better results with cleaning the glass. But the crazing is here to stay.

Ashcat

Post by Ashcat » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks, Rick, for the feedback.

Millworker

Post by Millworker » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 4:58 pm

gambler wrote:Ashcat, The spider web cracks are there to stay and do not hurt anything.
I see you are running a 983 hand fired stove so you should have some better results with cleaning the glass. But the crazing is here to stay.
Why shouldn't people be worried about these cracks? I've always been under the impression that any material with hairline cracks is more susceptible to breaking. Why hasn't anyone recommended replacing the glass? I am posing these questions because stove door glass breaking while I am at work is one of my biggest fears. I would love to hear why this is something not to worry about.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Jan. 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Millworker wrote:Why shouldn't people be worried about these cracks? I've always been under the impression that any material with hairline cracks is more susceptible to breaking. Why hasn't anyone recommended replacing the glass? I am posing these questions because stove door glass breaking while I am at work is one of my biggest fears. I would love to hear why this is something not to worry about.
I don't know for certain but I believe the crazing that you see is cracking along some grain boundaries within the material. I don't think any of this crazing comes to the surface of the glass. I have crazing on my glass and I clean it with a wet paper towel when the glass is hot so if it were going to fail it should have failed on me by now.
But you do bring up a good point. What type of glass is in your stove? If it is not the ceramic glass it may well come apart at the crazing sites.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”