Plate Inside SCR

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 9:35 am

Do you guys think I should be using the plate that sits across the top of the Gibraltar SCR? Im really not sure of the purpose. I sits across the outlet inside . I think it is supposed to keep more heat in the stove?
I lost my burn again this morning. A stove full of gray half burnt coal

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 10:42 am

Yes, you should be using it. The plate is a baffle, it's purpose is to increase the length of time the gases flow inside the boiler (longer path) to retain the heat as much as possible. If your coal is grey, you are at the end of the fire. You need more fuel or a slower burn to correct it. Do you have a barometric damper?

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 11:07 am

coaledsweat wrote:Yes, you should be using it. The plate is a baffle, it's purpose is to increase the length of time the gases flow inside the boiler (longer path) to retain the heat as much as possible. If your coal is grey, you are at the end of the fire. You need more fuel or a slower burn to correct it. Do you have a barometric damper?
I don't have a damper. I slowed it down as much as possible last night. I filled it at about 11 and when I went down at 5 am it was dead.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I lost my burn again this morning. A stove full of gray half burnt coal
Seems we have discussed this before:

Having Trouble Keeping Temp Down

Gray Coal in Morning

Do you have a barometric damper on it yet? If so what's the draft reading between the baro and the stove? If not you will continue to have problems with the stove overfiring and with short burn times, no matter what you do.
Last edited by CoalHeat on Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sat. Jan. 03, 2009 1:16 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Yes, you should be using it. The plate is a baffle, it's purpose is to increase the length of time the gases flow inside the boiler (longer path) to retain the heat as much as possible. If your coal is grey, you are at the end of the fire. You need more fuel or a slower burn to correct it. Do you have a barometric damper?
coaledsweat is right on here. I still think you should get a baro damper (if you only burn hard coal) to help control the burn.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”